TonyW

TonyW's System(s)

Carver M500

with an Integra DTR 7.2 (6.1 channel receiver, circa 2002) acting as pre-amp.

bPDekkL.jpg

Current System

Sony X900E65

Comcast Cable box

Turtle Beach AudioTron AT101 (Network MP3 player)

Totem Acoustic - Dream Catcher Center (plus 4x Dream Catcher book shelf speakers for surround / height channels)

Panasonic - DMP-UB900 (4K UHD BluRay Player)

Panasonic - RP56 (DVD player)

Denon - ARV-X4400H

Energy - S10.2 - Sub

Totem Acoustic - Forest

Bello (audio rack)

rats nets of wires (semi organized)

-

TrbHlj4.jpg

RRGuXMS.jpg

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 1

Nice, Looks good Tony...Thanks for the Pics...=D=    As for  your rats nest...Man, seems most of us have them in someway or another. ~^  I know I do, No matter how hard I try..(*,)

Doug

• Thank You 1

I had the chance to listen at length to a set of the Totem Forest speakers once, and I found the sound incredible!

you are going to fit right in here - welcome aboard:-)

1 minute ago, Dnspy007 said:

...As for  your rats nest...Man, seems most of us have them in someway or another...

Doug

No shit - I can get a good rats-nest going with a CD player, pre amp and amp set up😬

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

No shit - I can get a good rats-nest going with a CD player, pre amp and amp set up😬

The cables are happiest when they're entangled like a ball of snakes.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Rod H said:

Cables like to cuddle.

Or orgy. 

Hey Tony, sorry, I got sidetracked.

Your system looks great, and I hope it brings you many hours of audio bliss!

Edited by Sk1Bum

Really nice setup, Tony. 

"Rat's Nest" now there's a photo-thread that is just beggin' to be started.

"It's Alive" is a good descriptor for my own rats nest.

The only one I know that won't participate will be Dominic, he's really got cable management down 🙄

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1
  • Haha 2

Stickers

The cables certainly do like to entwine themselves 🙂.

In the early 90's when I first encountered Carver gear and had a 6200 Receiver, I also had a pair of Energy ESM-2 that were my compromise as i couldn't afford to get a pair Energy 22.

Anyway, after purchasing a house in the early 2000's, the wife and i went shopping for a surround system as the house had been pre-wired for surround (with 4 outlets around the room near the ceiling) and thus we were looking for smaller bookshelf speakers suitable for wall mounting.

Initially I was looking at an Energy surround system, so went to several dealers in the DMV area to demo systems - one of these was also a Totem dealer.   After demoing an Energy set (Take 5? maybe), we also listened to several Totem sets (Dream Catchers, Mites, Model 1, Arro, Forests). I liked them all however price and the fact that there was a Rear Project TV in the corner of the room there meant that there could be no floor standing speakers... Anyway, after replacing the Rear Projection TV a year or so ago (thus opening up some floor space) it was time to go Speaker Shopping again... initially I was looking for a pair of Arros in the used marketplace to complement the Dream Catchers, but came across the Forests at a reasonable price.

20180930_123949--1080x1440.jpg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

I know that when I bought my Missions several years ago, the decision came down to either the Missions or a similar pair of Totem's.  It was a really tough choice, and I think I'd have been equally happy with the Totems.  Great choice, Tony - great sound and great looks.

As for the cables, being tangled into a rats-nest imparts a unique sonic signature, and prevents odd harmonic overtones, right...?

No, eh?  It was a good try to justify my masses of tangles.  I'm convinced a single cable left laid out straight, will self tangle with no further human (or in my case, feline) intervention.

• Thank You 2

On 9/30/2018 at 9:01 AM, Sk1Bum said:

The cables are happiest when they're entangled like a ball of snakes.

I read somewhere that a coil of wire can act as an antenna, is it really worth cutting cables to exact length or is the risk of added noise from a rats nest of wire really nothing to be concerned with?