zumbini

Power By Carver (aka Zumbini's man cave)

I've been trying to get some good pictures of my vintage Carver system to show y'all.
(Other than the addition of a DTL-50 recently it hasn't changed much in 20 years.)
I'm not real happy with the pics but, until I can get some flood lights, these will have to do.

20130712213828580.jpg 

20100324090840614.jpg

20100324085627106.jpg

• Thank You 2

That room is my "man cave" and it takes up about half of the basement.
(There is also a bathroom, 2 large storage closets and my work shop.)
The wall shown in the top pics is 24' (the short dimension of the house).
The other wall is 18' long. The ceiling is 9' high and well insulated.

good god.  next time the wife gives me any shit about my set up taking over the house, I'm going to print these pictures up and hand them to her.  happy0009.gif
  • Thank You 1

Wow - nice man cave. That's what we've dubbed my "studio" too. I just realized - yours is bigger - not that size matters, of course.

Awesome racks of hardware too. Thanks for the pics.

It IS a big room but it's very full. Besides what you see in the pics there's also
a 60" projection TV with 2 VHS VCR's and a Beta VCR,
eight 30" wide floor to ceiling oak bookshelf units,
2 dressers, 2 tall boys, 2 couches (1 is a sectional) and 2 lazy boys,
a pin ball machine,
and my son's drum set.

I kinda wish I'd built it bigger....

I wondered how long it would take someone to notice that. eusa_clap.gif
In the week or so between taking the 2 photos I switched amps.
I pulled the M-500t out for "cleaning" and installed my spare M-500.

Did you also notice the two c-clamps below the M-500 in the flash photo?
I used them to hold the 3 racks together so I can pull them out from the wall as a unit.
Evidently I forgot to remove them before I took the photo...

awesome setup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maxoutemsmiled.gifemsmiled.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Carver 4000t , c-1 , c-5 , tx-8 , tfm-45 , tfm-55 , m-1.5 , m1.5t, 
 pm1.5   Sony dvpcx995v 400-disc ,Rane m-60 eq , technics q-212 ,
Polk sda-1a , sda-2 , rta-11t , s-10 , Jbl-sb-2 ,Klipsch klf-10 , kg-4.5

O.C.C.D. it's not an excuse ---- it's a  R E  A S O N  ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Guest LeoF
There's a glaring hole that could hold one more amp, not to mention a few empty areas in the CD racks!  Of course, I assume those are "borrowed" and that they will fill back in eventually.  emwink.gif

You're not finished until every spot is filled in.  Then you tell your wife you need more shelves!  happy0009.gif
Nice setup.

There are actually 2 slots available in the equipment rack. I put that wood case in the slot under the cassette deck as filler when I pulled out my "spare" M-500 for an overhaul. I may need both some day if I go 5.1 or 7.1. Or I could build up another level as these racks are modular.

The wife is now an ex-wife but it had nothing to do with my music habit.....

Guest LeoF

The wife is now an ex-wife but it had nothing to do with my music habit.....

That's what they all say.  eusa_whistle.gif

Last weekend I added this new-in-box, never-before-powered CT-Seven to my collection.
20100429152753215.jpg
I found this (still sealed in plastic and in the original box) at a yard sale only 3 doors up my cul-de-sac!
(the full story and another picture are posted here: CT-Seven In The House!)

Anyway, today I took possession of this recently recapped, cosmetically near-mint M-1.0t.
20100429152912176.jpg20100429155111935.jpg
This amp was owned by my "baby" brother who recently upgraded to an Outlaw 7900 (7x500w).
I remember taking him to Stereo Studio in Villa Park, IL and talking him into buying it in 1987!
Now that I have it I'm thinking about setting up a mini-stack of "t"'s like Rich has in his avatar.
(M-1.0t, M-500, M-500t, M-500t, M-1.5t, M-1.5t)

Interestingly, by giving me his last piece of Carver gear, my brother has managed to beat OCCD!
But his victory did not come cheap. Here's a shot of his current entertainment system.
20100429154424517.jpg
Some sweet set-up eh? He's a chip off the old block...

I bought my Legacy speakers when the company was still called Reel-To-Real Designs (1988/89).
I had a long design session on the phone with owner/engineer Bill Duddleston to settle on specifics.
Once the speakers were built he offered to drive them to Chicago and spent an afternoon tuning them.

After my brother decided to buy the Focus last year he went to Springfield (IL) and spent 3 days with Bill.
The tweeks they came up with included built-in 750w amps for the woofers and a custom Xlica DSP/XO.
After the speakers were delivered in February Bill made several trips to his home in WI to tune them.

I think that kind of personal attention is one of the things that people like about Legacy.
In addition, they are superior cabinet-makers so their speakers are works of art (IMHO).
And it doesn't hurt that they are reasonably priced and sound great too!

Footnote: I contacted Legacy recently to get a quote on updated drivers for my Super Satellites.
The VP of Engineering replied to my email saying that Bill Duddleston was traveling but would get back to me.
The next day I got a call from Bill which led to another long brainstorming session followed by some quotes.
I haven't made up my mind yet on which of the options to go with but I'm sure I will love the results.