zumbini

Power By Carver (aka Zumbini's man cave)

What's to think about? You could put it all on the floor and it would still look good. Mighty impressive system to say the least. Now, this particular configuration might present some problems for those less than four feet tall but I don't think you fit that bill. Totally awesome stack.

• Thank You 1

I had a visit from Mr. Dennis Miller today. He was on his way to Carver Fest and I'm only 5 minutes off I-95. We chatted for a few hours in the man cave while simultaneously troubleshooting a recent system problem - low output from my SD/A 490t CD player and Technics SL-D303 turntable, and a dead right channel on the M-500t MKII that drives the mids.

I was leaning towards either the preamp (a BillD-modified C-11) or the active crossover (a Behringer CX3400) but it turned out there were multiple issues unrelated to either component. Here's a brief synopsis of our adventure:

After showing Dennis around my system and the gain issues we decided to swap out the C-11 for the BillD-modified C-2 I just got back from Ar9Jim. (Both have balanced outputs, so it was fairly easy to connect to the balanced inputs on the EQ/XO.) There was no change in gain, however, the "dead" channel was now OK. 

To eliminate the EQ as a problem we bypassed it and went directly from preamp to XO.  There was no change in the gain but we left the EQ disconnected from here on.

Next we swapped out the tubes in the SD/A 490t and again there was no change in gain. However, the right mids channel was dead again.  We swapped the right and left preamp outputs and the dead channel switched too. We suspect a cable issue (bad or cold solder joint) but I don't have a spare female XLR to male RCA so I made a note to inspect them later and continued troubleshooting.

We then tried replacing the AT15S (cartridge) with a B&O MMC20EN. The turntable gain was back to "normal" plus the "dead" channel was now OK. It is evident there is an issue with the Audio Technica cartridge which I will check out later.

Finally we swapped a working DTL-50 from my shop system for the SD/A 490t and the gain was back to normal. Apparently there is an electrical issue with the 490t. 

At this point I had a fully functional system, and we were both really hungry, so we called it a day, packed up the 490t (Dennis is going to troubleshoot it when he gets home emstar.gif), and drove "downtown" to Hibachi Grill for lunch with a heaping side of conversation (our children, pets, spouses, military service, work history, etc.). After lunch Dennis drove me home, I thanked him for his assistance and camaraderie, and he hit the road heading south and west toward Carver Fest.

It's always great to spend time with a Carver brother. Safe travels Dennis!
  • Thank You 4

I have gotten to know Dennis quite well from our phone conversations, and i am not at all surprised that he was willing to dive in and help troubleshoot your system with you Dom.  Sounds like you guys had an enjoyable day!

I hope to meet some of the many friends I've made here in person someday.... 
  • Thank You 1

Nice story, Zumbini, troubleshooting eventually comes to all of us, from novice to tech. Recounting the this-now-that-now-this-now-that benefits us all. Alternate end of story: Dennis clears a passenger seat for Zumbini, they drive off southwesterly, on the way to CarverFest 2017, many miles & smiles to share. 
  • Thank You 1

On 9/8/2017 at 3:41 PM, zumbini said:
I had a visit from Mr. Dennis Miller today. He was on his way to Carver Fest and I'm only 5 minutes off I-95. We chatted for a few hours in the man cave while simultaneously troubleshooting a recent system problem - low output from my SD/A 490t CD player and Technics SL-D303 turntable, and a dead right channel on the M-500t MKII that drives the mids.

I was leaning towards either the preamp (a BillD-modified C-11) or the active crossover (a Behringer CX3400) but it turned out there were multiple issues unrelated to either component. Here's a brief synopsis of our adventure:

After showing Dennis around my system and the gain issues we decided to swap out the C-11 for the BillD-modified C-2 I just got back from Ar9Jim. (Both have balanced outputs, so it was fairly easy to connect to the balanced inputs on the EQ/XO.) There was no change in gain, however, the "dead" channel was now OK. 

To eliminate the EQ as a problem we bypassed it and went directly from preamp to XO.  There was no change in the gain but we left the EQ disconnected from here on.

Next we swapped out the tubes in the SD/A 490t and again there was no change in gain. However, the right mids channel was dead again.  We swapped the right and left preamp outputs and the dead channel switched too. We suspect a cable issue (bad or cold solder joint) but I don't have a spare female XLR to male RCA so I made a note to inspect them later and continued troubleshooting.

We then tried replacing the AT15S (cartridge) with a B&O MMC20EN. The turntable gain was back to "normal" plus the "dead" channel was now OK. It is evident there is an issue with the Audio Technica cartridge which I will check out later.

Finally we swapped a working DTL-50 from my shop system for the SD/A 490t and the gain was back to normal. Apparently there is an electrical issue with the 490t. 

At this point I had a fully functional system, and we were both really hungry, so we called it a day, packed up the 490t (Dennis is going to troubleshoot it when he gets home emstar.gif), and drove "downtown" to Hibachi Grill for lunch with a heaping side of conversation (our children, pets, spouses, military service, work history, etc.). After lunch Dennis drove me home, I thanked him for his assistance and camaraderie, and he hit the road heading south and west toward Carver Fest.

It's always great to spend time with a Carver brother. Safe travels Dennis!

Here's a much overdue update on my 490t and system problems:

Dennis spent months chasing down and eventually repairing a problem with the 490t's muting circuit. Rather than ship it back to me (the circuit boards near the tubes are pretty fragile) the plan was that he would drop it off in Chester the next time he was "in the area" (he has family in MD and NC, and was also planning to go to CF2018 in August). I have several "spare" CDP's so that was OK with me.

Several months later, Greg Viggiano happened to be in Maine on business and stopped at Dennis' place to pick up some of his own gear. Greg lives about 2 hours north of me (Alexandria, VA) and agreed to bring it back with him. I had planned to make the 2 hour drive up to Greg's but before that happened he called to say he needed to drive down to North Carolina and would drop it off. So, about 6 weeks ago I was finally reunited with my 490t. Many thanks to Dennis and Greg!!!

As for the intermittant right mid channel, I thought I'd "fixed" it by replacing the XLR to RCA cable between the XO and power amp. Unfortunately the channel dropped out again within a matter of days. So I pulled the XO and inspected the XLR to board connections. They looked OK but I reflowed them anyway. NO CHANGE.

That left the amp RCA inputs (inspected and reflowed), speaker wires (swapped but the dropouts stayed in the right mids channel), and speaker (swapped them too with no change).

Today I was cleaning behind the racks and speakers and realized I'd forgotten about the internal speaker jack plate connections. What I found after removing the jack plates was really crappy cold solder joints on the fuse holders - my own from 5 or 6 years ago when I installed them. DANG!

20120825161034610.jpg20120825161059306.jpg

My first thought was to drill holes in the fuse holder tabs to pass the wires though before soldering, but the tabs are only marginally wider than the wire. My 2nd thought was to go with crimp on terminal lugs but the ones designed for 12 GA wire are too large for the existing fuse holder tabs.

20171025121837172.jpg

This afternoon I stopped by Lowes and Home Depot looking for fuse holders with 1/4" wide tabs. They didn't have anything I liked so now I'm searching on line for fuse holders with larger tabs. I haven't found any (yet) that specify the tab dimensions but I'll keep looking.

• Thank You 2

2 minutes ago, zumbini said:

Nice kit DJ. Pearls?

Thank you Z. I play in a house band for a local pub (Friday and Saturday nights 3 weekends/mo) These are my daily drivers! Ddrum maple's with cast hoops. Remo and Evans skins. Zildjian, Sabian, and Istanbul Cymbals. Iron Cobra dbl kick and HH. Gibraltar Stealth racks, Shure drum mics. Alesis sample pad. Heil PR35 vocal mic. I also have a set of Roland Td 8 electronics (for rehearsal) and assorted snares. (snares are like Lay's...you can't stop at one!) :)

2 minutes ago, DrummerJuice said:

Thank you Z. I play in a house band for a local pub (Friday and Saturday nights 3 weekends/mo) These are my daily drivers! Ddrum maple's with cast hoops. Remo and Evans skins. Zildjian, Sabian, and Istanbul Cymbals. Iron Cobra dbl kick and HH. Gibraltar Stealth racks, Shure drum mics. Alesis sample pad. Heil PR35 vocal mic. I also have a set of Roland Td 8 electronics (for rehearsal) and assorted snares. (snares are like Lay's...you can't stop at one!) :)

SWEET! But isn't a miked kit overkill for a local pub? :D

My son Zack has been away at college so his good drum set still resides in my mancave (he just graduated from MIT and starts his masters program in the fall). It's not that he isn't playing - he's a 4 year member of MIT's jazz combo and recently joined Mad Funk a jazz/rock/funk band - he just doesn't have a secure place to store them.

Here's a current shot of his Pearl Vision SST kit (he bought the Joey Jordison snare and Trick Pro-V pedals with money from mowing lawns and lifeguarding)

883699464_ZacksDrumKit110402(TKOShells)SANY2218.thumb.JPG.39ffd6d774efbfb5ac44c04d20d9c363.JPG

This is a piece he and the vibraphonist arranged for their jazz class.

and something recent from Mad Funk (he'd only been with them for a few weeks at the time)

• Thank You 2

44 minutes ago, zumbini said:

SWEET! But isn't a miked kit overkill for a local pub? :D

My son Zack has been away at college so his good drum set still resides in my mancave (he just graduated from MIT and starts his masters program in the fall). It's not that he isn't playing - he's a 4 year member of MIT's jazz combo and recently joined Mad Funk a jazz/rock/funk band - he just doesn't have a secure place to store them.

Here's a current shot of his Pearl Vision SST kit (he bought the Joey Jordison snare and Trick Pro-V pedals with money from mowing lawns and lifeguarding)

883699464_ZacksDrumKit110402(TKOShells)SANY2218.thumb.JPG.39ffd6d774efbfb5ac44c04d20d9c363.JPG

This is a piece he and the vibraphonist arranged for their jazz class.

and something recent from Mad Funk (he'd only been with them for a few weeks at the time)

:) We mic for effects (reverb) and compression, and to not get buried in the mix by the Keyboard and Guitar who always seem to try to see who can be louder. lol I like your son's kit. I'm thinking of going back to Remo Pinstripe skins and I'm in love with those Trick pedals! (I may have to buy some with my gigging money which has been funneled into Carver gear and my eldest daughter's University tuition so far this year) He's a great player. You should be proud! :D 

1 hour ago, DrummerJuice said:

We mic for effects (reverb) and compression, and to not get buried in the mix by the Keyboard and Guitar who always seem to try to see who can be louder. lol I like your son's kit. I'm thinking of going back to Remo Pinstripe skins and I'm in love with those Trick pedals! (I may have to buy some with my gigging money which has been funneled into Carver gear and my eldest daughter's University tuition so far this year) He's a great player. You should be proud! :D 

I played guitar in a power rock trio in the late 70's/early 80's so I was guilty of burying the drums in the mix. ;) 

Zack really wanted me to mike his kit but I only had 4 mike inputs available on the mixer and I figured we needed 8 or 9 mikes to do that properly. Actually did get a chance to play with his drums miked a few years later when his band played a local outdoor concert. The guy who provided the sound system used 9 mikes and gave me some good tips.

20110608111322948.jpg

Zack got lucky. He bought the Pro1-V's used on eprey for $375 but they didn't work properly when he got them. We discussed returning them but made a call to Trick first and one of their techs talked us through set up. (He also emailed me exploded drawings and set up procedures.) The pedals were still a bit stiff so he sent us some replacement parts at no cost. Been working fine ever since.

1242372581_TrickPro1-VDoubleBassPedalSANY1466.thumb.JPG.237ec35bced35794305d06f4522f1a72.JPG

Zack is an Eagle Scout who went to MIT on a full academic scholarship. He loves all types of music and audio gear. OF COURSE I'M PROUD OF HIM!!! 

• Haha 1

Hi Zumbini, I noticed in some of your earlier photos it looked like you had a  pair of M-1.5t's. Did you phase them out? What did you replace them with and why? My M-1.0t is currently being recapped and my M-1.5 is patiently waiting. Is the M-500t the next logical step? (sorry for all the questions) :)

2 hours ago, DrummerJuice said:

Hi Zumbini, I noticed in some of your earlier photos it looked like you had a  pair of M-1.5t's. Did you phase them out? What did you replace them with and why?

Good eye @DrummerJuice. I bought one new in 1985 (s/n 8070) and added the 2nd (s/n 11351) in 1989 to drive the Legacy subs. I recapped both of them in 2010, shortly after joining this forum.

In 2011 my youngest brother Joe sent me the M-1.0t that I talked him into buying in 1988 (he'd gone HT and bought an Outlaw 400 x 7; I had the M-1.0t MKII'd and eventually traded it to a member for an M-500t MKII). I traded one M-1.5t to a member for a refreshed MXR-130 (currently in my shop system).

1502835550_myshopaudiosystem(C-2M-200tDTL-50MXR-130withwoodsidepanels).jpg.45b10cb0798ddd16048fbb13876cffd7.jpg

I gave the other M-1.5t to my son along with a spare CT-7 and DTL-200mk2. Zack uses it to drive a pair of Polk SDA 1.2tl's that we have been restoring (a generous gift from another CS member).

20150824081520529.jpg

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, zumbini said:

Good eye @DrummerJuice. I bought one new in 1985 (s/n 8070) and added the 2nd (s/n 11351) in 1989 to drive the Legacy subs. I recapped both of them in 2010, shortly after joining this forum.

In 2011 my youngest brother Joe sent me the M-1.0t that I talked him into buying in 1988 (he'd gone HT and bought an Outlaw 400 x 7; I had the M-1.0t MKII'd and eventually traded it to a member for an M-500t MKII). I traded one M-1.5t to a member for a refreshed MXR-130 (currently in my shop system).

1502835550_myshopaudiosystem(C-2M-200tDTL-50MXR-130withwoodsidepanels).jpg.45b10cb0798ddd16048fbb13876cffd7.jpg

I gave the other M-1.5t to my son along with a spare CT-7 and DTL-200mk2. Zack uses it to drive a pair of Polk SDA 1.2tl's that we have been restoring (a generous gift from another CS member).

20150824081520529.jpg

Were you experimenting or did they lack something that you found in the M-500t?

I understand that Carver amps pair well with Polk SDA's. I had a friend that was running a similar set up a few years ago and he loved it!

1 minute ago, DrummerJuice said:

Were you experimenting or did they lack something that you found in the M-500t?

The M-1.5t can be a bit harsh (emphasizes the upper frequencies) but I used them exclusively for subs so that wasn't an issue for me. 

Mainly it was personal preference (love those big analog meters!) and nostalgia (the M-500 was my first Carver).

On 6/9/2018 at 6:42 PM, zumbini said:

This afternoon I stopped by Lowes and Home Depot looking for fuse holders with 1/4" wide tabs. They didn't have anything I liked so now I'm searching on line for fuse holders with larger tabs. I haven't found any (yet) that specify the tab dimensions but I'll keep looking.

UPDATE: I found that Bussman HKP series fuse holders rated for 20A have 1/4" tabs that will accept slide on terminal lugs. Ordered 6.

31NxG1OkNWL.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

7 minutes ago, zumbini said:

The M-1.5t can be a bit harsh (emphasizes the upper frequencies) but I used them exclusively for subs so that wasn't an issue for me. 

Mainly it was personal preference (love those big analog meters!) and nostalgia (the M-500 was my first Carver).

I'm using mine in a vertical bi-amp running the lows with the M-1.0t running the highs. I'm also a sucker for big meters and have been thinking about getting some TFM's or just biting the bullet and getting a Sunfire Signature.

The 20 amp Bussman fuse holders showed up yesterday, but they are NOT as described. Imagine that....

what I ordered [p/n HKP-HH]: 31NxG1OkNWL.jpg

what I received [p/n HKP-R]: 1377097059_BussmanHKP-Rfuseholder.jpg.f65bd354c1d8ed59928e4c882fabf1f5.jpg

The terminals are not 1/4" wide and will not accept a standard lug, however, the side terminal will pass a 12 ga wire and the end terminal can be drilled out to match, so I could use them.

This morning I contacted the seller, informed him of the error, and asked him to send me the "correct" parts or provide a refund. If he's a "good seller" he'll do both (I would).

On 3/24/2010 at 9:17 AM, zumbini said:
with 2 VHS VCR's and a Beta VCR,

My kind of man.......old school.......grin.  I have an 8mm VCR and a Laserdisc player as well......

• That Rocks 1