zumbini

Power By Carver (aka Zumbini's man cave)

Tell your son to pull everything in as close as possible & lower the cymbals down tight; it will increase his speed as he won't be flailing all over to hit each target....

He can start by setting the snare between his legs & pulling the high hat just to the left of the snare. Everyone tries (initially) to sit straight-on with the bass & it's much more efficient to make the snare the center & place everything around it. That puts your right foot, and the bass, to his right. He can re-position the toms to place the left one more off the left side of the bass (easier with independent stands!) and the right one directly back at him from the bass. Make sense?

He said he'd give it a try. Good timing as he just added a new cymbal (Paiste 804 series 18" China).

My babies are back!

My "upgraded" Legacy Super Satellites arrived yesterday afternoon and man do they sound sweet.
The new drivers are proprietary Legacy 1" neo ribbon tweeters and Audax 5.25" woven Kevlar mids.
They are bi-amp-able too but I'm running in passive mode for the time being to get a feel for the changes.
I'll bi-amp once I get my M-500t's back from Bill and install a Behringer Ultragraph FBQ3102 EQ I bought on epray ($50!).
I was always amazed at how much sound these relatively small produced but now they are even more efficient.

Here is a new system photo plus some detailed pics of the upgraded Super Satellites.
20100630105523683.jpg 

20100630105900427.jpg   20100630110033883.jpg 

20100630110237348.jpg20100630110332387.jpg 

Thanks for all the comments gentlemen. I really appreciate your support.

The Legacy's were my 1st really good speakers and it feels great to have them back and sounding better than ever.
I'm stoked to hear what they sound like bi-amped. I already have an Aphex "balance box" and a Behringer CX3400 X/O.
Just waiting for a Behringer Ultragraph Pro FBQ3102 1/3 octave EQ ($50 used) and a raft full of XLR cables to arrive.
Hopefully this weekend I'll be ready to pull the straps, wire the gear, power them up and tune and tweak.

There is one more upgrade I have in mind for the near future - new 12" drivers for the 2 Legacy subs.
I've pretty much decided on a pair of Aura Sound NS12-513-4A's. Just need to save up another $400....

The Behringer Ultragraph Pro FBQ3102 arrived yesterday and it looks brand new.
No scratches and not even a hint of rack rash. Hopefully it works as good as it looks.

I'm not going to begin system integration until I finish the Blow By Blow roadshow but
I made a home for it in my rack, cabled it to the balance box and X/O and powered it up.
Damn, it has more lights than a New York Christmas tree!

20100709070451744.jpg

Legacy used the same X/O when they installed my new drivers so I have good settings for the CX3400.
However, I'm a little apprehensive about setting up a 1/3 octave equalizer without a real time analyzer.
So I'm keeping a very close eye on TNRabbit's *~Gone Active~* thread for technical inspiration.
I'll also be checking out the Room Analysis freeware RichP provided links for HERE.

I compared Behringer specs to comparable Rane gear and they are virtually identical at about 1/2 the price.
For a traveling musician the sturdier Rane is worth the extra $$. For home use I think the Behringer will do the trick.
I'll know if I made the right choice shortly....

Just received my rehabed M-500t's from BillD last night and spent this afternoon reintegrating them.

For the time being they are driving some "spare" speakers until I am ready to bi-amp the Super Satellites.
I also hooked up the C-2 I got from Rod recently to A-B against a C-1 I bought on epray a month ago.
For now the C-1 is the active preamp, the C-2 is for power sequencing and the Behringers are lit for effect only.

20100714143245631.jpg

20100714143311383.jpg 

I know a couple of people who are Behringer factory repair shops.  The reason that RANE gear is so popular in pro audio is because it holds up to the rigors of life on the road and its serviceable.  The Behringer products are known to come in for service more often, and they've developed a reputation for being less than "roadworthy."  Life on the road is pretty hard.  I doubt you'll have a problem if you install them in a home system, leave them there, and treat them gently.

Behringer has led the way in adding features and dropping prices, largely through the use of DSP and SMD assembly.  SMD has resulted in very dense / crowded packaging on the boards to effect this cost savings.   With a complex SMD product it's not worth the cost per hour for American labor to service it, compared to the wage of the Asian fabricators in making another one.  As a result factory service usually amounts to board swap-outs or complete unit exchanges during the warranty period.  The good news is that if the unit goes bad under warranty you might get a new replacement. The bad news is that when the unit goes bad out of warranty, you will have to buy a new replacement.  Chances are that paying an American repair shop to do the SMD work probably won't be cost effective.  The Behringer units are viewed as disposable if they fail.

Absolutely Bob. In fact I knew Behringer was the poor man's choice going in.
That fit my plan which was to bi-amp the mains with out going broke in the process. emwink.gif

By the way neither of my Behringer units have seen any road action.
The FBQ3102 was purchased for DJ use but was never racked and only taken out of the box once.
The CX3400 belonged to a neighbor who used it sparingly in his home stereo for 3 years.
My total investment so far, including the Aphex balance box and cables, is less than $200.
The equivalent Rane gear would cost me at least $500 used so mission accomplished!

My biggest concern is tackling the set up of a 1/3 octave EQ without proper test equipment.
I'm hoping to borrow an RTA to do the initial basic room EQ while I learn about PC-based solutions.
I'm still a bit apprehensive so I am taking it slow, reading a lot and asking questions.
I should be ready to pull the jumpers this weekend...

keep us posted as you progress.  i'd like to hear how the laptop based RTA solution works out.

Yeah Bob. That will be extremely interesting since I don't own a laptop. eusa_think.gif
I am hoping to borrow a handheld RTA from a friend to do the initial set up.

Thanks David. It's my little slice of audio heaven. 14.gif

I think you've got the whole pie not just a slice.

So how long did OCCD take to set in for you? LOL

verry very nice indeed