Jump to content
Daddyjt

Bands/Albums you used to love, but now.... Not so much.

Recommended Posts

I am going to kick this off by venturing into sacred ground...

 

The other night I realized that I just don’t care for <Gasp> Pink Floyd any more. There, I said it.

 

Thing is, I LOVED PF as a teen, and even into my ‘20’s.  I realize that I have been forcing myself to like them for a long time now (after all, DSOTM is hearalded as one of the best albums of all time), and the other night I just couldn’t do it any more.  I still like parts of Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason, but that’s about it.  Maybe the rest has just been over played, or maybe my tastes have evolved... who knows. 

 

Anyone else have a similar experience?

  • Thank You 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without killing brain cells thinking about it:  Presley (almost every thing) and the Nicks/Buckingham iteration of Fleetwood Mac.  And I''m sure at O dark 30, I will wake up and think of raft of others.

  • Thank You 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting topic.  I can see it with Floyd.

 

Definitely, though in my case it may be more individual albums, rather than entire performers. 

 

Still, here are a few that don't quite do it for me like they used to.  I do have to say that I still totally respect these performers, but I think I need a break from them.

 

  • Cream
  • King Crimson
  • Mike Oldfield
  • Lake

I certainly don't dislike them, I just don't feel like listening to them like I used to love to do.  There are a lot more that are marginal - no longer in the ready to play pile, by the stereo.  🙂

 

 

  • Thank You 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

The other night I realized that I just don’t care for <Gasp> Pink Floyd any more. There, I said it.

 

 

Sacrilege! :D 

 

Slade

Headpins

Mott the Hoople

 

I wonder if it's my present system though, because I don't dislike them on the system in my truck (Dodge factory Infinity with a modest sub). The Martin Logans are not very forgiving.

  • Thank You 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand your sentiment, Mark.  

 

And FWIW, I have never liked the music from "Brick in the Wall" album.  I respect its message, and long-lived apropos nature to societal messes.  But, for me and my listening taste, I prefer the more unusual, and less-played PF.  Momentary Lapse of Reason, for example.

 

Mark, you get my praise for sticking it out there, and stating what most would like to say, but fear telling the truth (a problem plaguing society today in general).  We don't have to like everything that everyone else does - just to go along with the crowd.

 

On my "I can't take it anymore list," the close second (I think I mentioned it earlier a few weeks ago on the Is Radio Dead? thread) is Led Zeppelin.  I just can't take it anymore - too much airplay on the radio every day even TODAY that I have to change the station whenever it comes on … like 5 times each morning during my 15 minute commute.  How is that possible?  Love the band, just don't want to listen to it anymore.  I'd rather hear Heart doing a cover of Stairway to Heaven, than listen to any original Zep.

  • Thank You 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stickers

I really don't have anything on the "I don't listen to that anymore" list.  Growing up in the backwoods of Florida in the 60's, music was the big deal so I grew up with radio, 45's, 78's and 2 TV stations......Music is a time machine for me......

Edited by Charlie
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Rod H said:

Genesis. It made sense at the time, but I skip over that section of my collection every time now.

 

I agree - I actually like Mike Rutherford’s work on Mike + The Mechanics better than Genesis. So much of Genesis was SO overplayed. 

 

I especially like “Par Avion” - I find the lyrics somewhat haunting and the tone of the song intriguing. 

 

 

2 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

I can understand your sentiment, Mark.  

 

And FWIW, I have never liked the music from "Brick in the Wall" album.  I respect its message, and long-lived apropos nature to societal messes.  But, for me and my listening taste, I prefer the more unusual, and less-played PF.  Momentary Lapse of Reason, for example.

 

Mark, you get my praise for sticking it out there, and stating what most would like to say, but fear telling the truth (a problem plaguing society today in general).  We don't have to like everything that everyone else does - just to go along with the crowd.

 

On my "I can't take it anymore list," the close second (I think I mentioned it earlier a few weeks ago on the Is Radio Dead? thread) is Led Zeppelin.  I just can't take it anymore - too much airplay on the radio every day even TODAY that I have to change the station whenever it comes on … like 5 times each morning during my 15 minute commute.  How is that possible?  Love the band, just don't want to listen to it anymore.  I'd rather hear Heart doing a cover of Stairway to Heaven, than listen to any original Zep.

 

Thanks AJ - I was never into Zepplin much as a kid, so I’m still liking them (plus my son loves their music!) - although I will admit I’m tired of Staiway to Heaven.

 

as for running counter-current, I enjoy the discussions that evolve when we abandon “group think”.  If you think this topic is controversial, you should hear the discussions when I say that The Godfather movies are overrated, especially in light of Goodfellas, Casino and Donnie Brasco! Talk about sacrilege!  

  • Thank You 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it's Radiohead and U2. I think both of these bands amassed such large follwings and success that the music didn't matter anymore. They knew people would buy it regardless.

 

Radiohead was the worst offender. To me it sounded as if they were trying to aggravate their fans with atonal noise and if you didn't get it you just weren't cool.

  • Thank You 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

 

I agree - I actually like Mike Rutherford’s work on Mike + The Mechanics better than Genesis. So much of Genesis was SO overplayed. 

 

 

While they aren't quite on the no play list, I agree, rather than Genesis, I tend to reach for either Steve Hackett or Mike Rutherford, instead.

 

And I totally agree on Zepplin. Radio played them to the point of serious abuse, along with groups like Lynyrrd Skynyrd.

 

The great thing is that there's so much else to spin, instead, so the lesser used albums are getting more time these days. 😊

  • Thank You 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 45 minute commute to work and can’t understand why radio has the same songs in an endless rotation. There are so many worthy songs from all of these great bands that get no airplay. Would it be too much of a bother to put some in now and then? That said, Pink Floyd, Zepplin, The Who, the list goes on.

 

ray

  • Thank You 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Magnaryder said:

I have a 45 minute commute to work and can’t understand why radio has the same songs in an endless rotation. There are so many worthy songs from all of these great bands that get no airplay. Would it be too much of a bother to put some in now and then? That said, Pink Floyd, Zepplin, The Who, the list goes on.

 

ray

 

I completely agree. Until just recently, I was in the truck for a minimum of 2 hours a day commuting. Even with XM it got so bad that for the last year I was almost exclusively audio books and podcasts. 

  • Thank You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mellencamp....never again

Eagles.....please shoot me...in the head

U2....wretched and awful tripe

Van Halen...Eruption...like an icepick in the ear

Kiss....without the makeup people would laugh at them

Dave Matthews....seriously, why is this even successful

Springsteen.....I'd rather masturbate with a belt sander

 

 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, weitrhino said:

 

Springsteen.....I'd rather masturbate with a belt sander

 

 

I think I hurt myself laughing at that one, but I agree at least 30-griit,xmaybe lower!  😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

 

I completely agree. Until just recently, I was in the truck for a minimum of 2 hours a day commuting. Even with XM it got so bad that for the last year I was almost exclusively audio books and podcasts. 

 

Parallel to the topic, is the "root cause" of the issue.  While "raidio play" pops - make no mistake, XM, Pandora, Spotify, they all do this "over-play."  

 

I can't stand it when Susan puts on Pandora to the Adam Levine station... (OK, I like it that she is into music..., but,...) the first 30 minutes of Pandora's Adam Levine, or Maroon Five channels are the same 20 songs, over and over... Ugh -

 

"Mass Customization" as a method for delivering unique experiences (e.g., start the damn playlist somewhere other than "most popular to everyone else") came about 20 years ago..., yet Pandora and Spotify, (and XM) seem to get this wrong.  WTH?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stickers

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...