Sign in to follow this  
fxbill

Wanted to buy.... TFM 15 meter

I have a non working meter in my little TFM15 and rather than trying to fix it and probably just screw it up I'd like to find a replacement for it if anyone has a "parts" unit sitting around. Please post or PM me with details.

Thanks!

Bill

Hi Bill,

I don't have a TFM-15 for parts - I use mine on a bi-amped system in a very small room, and it works great.  Recapped it a couple of years ago - easy job, few caps.

Anyhow,  both my meters are no good - they sat in a humid environment for a few years, and now they stick - one a lot worse than the other.  Is that what's going on with yours?  You can always switch them (or their wires) to assure that the amp is providing the proper output to each meter.

What I'm suggesting is that a replacement meter might not be the final answer, if my experience is typical.  At some point I will try to free  mine up, and maybe lubricate them with a microdrop of the right oil. if I learn that it's possible I'll try to describe the procedure.

RobertR

• Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, RobertR said:

Hi Bill,

I don't have a TFM-15 for parts - I use mine on a bi-amped system in a very small room, and it works great.  Recapped it a couple of years ago - easy job, few caps.

Anyhow,  both my meters are no good - they sat in a humid environment for a few years, and now they stick - one a lot worse than the other.  Is that what's going on with yours?  You can always switch them (or their wires) to assure that the amp is providing the proper output to each meter.

What I'm suggesting is that a replacement meter might not be the final answer, if my experience is typical.  At some point I will try to free  mine up, and maybe lubricate them with a microdrop of the right oil. if I learn that it's possible I'll try to describe the procedure.

RobertR

DON'T lube your meters.....     Yer asking for trouble (or more trouble). The movements can be cleaned properly and restored back to a normal working condition if they are sticking. The movements are touchy and applying lube will cause them to attract more scuzz (that's a technical term :) ).   I have had good luck with careful disassembly and service. Also, do NOT USE any type of compressed air....    No.... no      

• Thank You 1

Ahhh. Thank you! I believe one pivot end has just slipped out of the end cup...( with a watch it would be like the balance staff slipping out of an end pivot jewel). I'm just afraid that my hands might no longer be steady enough to reinstall it.......or it could be something completely different, but it does react to output...it just doesn't swing as it should.

On 10/26/2018 at 5:37 PM, Bonzoro said:

DON'T lube your meters.....     Yer asking for trouble (or more trouble). The movements can be cleaned properly and restored back to a normal working condition if they are sticking. The movements are touchy and applying lube will cause them to attract more scuzz (that's a technical term :) ).   I have had good luck with careful disassembly and service. Also, do NOT USE any type of compressed air....    No.... no      

Perhaps that's the case with this one.... It does respond to signal but does not have a full swing to it...it just sits there and slightly wiggles. I've worked on railroad grade pocket watches for quite a few years, but it's been almost 10 years since I repaired my last one and I don't think my hands are steady enough now to do this. It's quite possible that the problem is simply a dirty pivot....and although I've used watch oil on many meters in the past, unless they are sealed it's better to run them dry.... I agree. I haven't removed it or even looked at it closely enough to see if the pivot is out of place or it is simply sticking, but I do think I'll take the expert up on his offer and send it up. Thank you @Nahash5150!😀

• Thank You 1