Cbolt18

Update from the UK!! Photos!!

Hello again,

Quick update. I managed to refurbish my Linn Isobariks and got a Carver TFR-45 from Europe. Got everything hooked up and it sounds great.

One issue I have is if I turn the amp up past about 12 o'clock one of the bass drivers on one of the speaker starts going crazy and hitting its excursion limit. It happens suddenly and at random. I can't figure out if this is the amp being driven in to clipping (speakers are known to drop to ~2.5ohm) or if it an issue with the xo in the speaker or if the amp is simply overdriving the speakers (doubt it). Does anyone know what clips first, the low or high frequencies?

Photos below!

Thanks

33ba0d88-b353-43c4-b189-893635816a95.JPG

8317d82f-d351-45eb-870a-5baa3e6a1fc4.JPG

cbe90d6d-c15e-483b-a711-1ae96b4a24ec.JPG

• Thank You 3

Great photos, thank you!

I am no tech by any stretch of the imagination. Have you tried reversing the left/right speaker wires at the amp? That should give you a clue as to whether it's the amp or the speaker.

I’ve had a bit of a play and it seems to just happen to any speaker at any time. Even when cables have been swapped etc. It’s a strange one. 

12 minutes ago, Cbolt18 said:

... any speaker at any time. Even when cables have been swapped etc. It’s a strange one. 

I misunderstood your original post.  Any speaker at any time would suggest the amp by my admittedly limited diagnostic skills.

I didn't think of that! It only happens when using the turntable, there must be some feedback. Time for some sorbothane under the speakers and a wall mount for the turntable.

Thanks!

Edited by Cbolt18

Knocked up a wall mount with a plinth with spikes on top. Also put some sorbothane half spheres between the speakers and stands. Works a treat! No crazy feedback! 

Thanks again for the help!

909460C5-E3E6-4CB3-9A40-0D7A7F5CDD3B.jpeg

D9DF0B43-9A99-4427-9DA7-4747AD5A1632.jpeg

Edited by Cbolt18
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1