New Guy Intro

Hello, Nice site! Recently added some Carver equipment, CM-1090, TL-3100 TX-12, and a TD-1400. Started another addition, darn. 

Sounds fantastic.  

Was wondering, when I added an amp and used the CM-1090 as a preamp the meters stopped working is that normal? Thanks

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 1

Hello mphsneon, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. Someone with knowledge of the CM-1090 will be able to answer your question.

When you get the needed permissions and a chance, upload some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.d2caeed42cb7cdf6011b96919c2e7170.gif

1 hour ago, Balok said:

Welcome to the forum.  CM 1090 meters wont move when only using the preamp section.  What amp are you using?

That was thought but wanted to make sure.  thanks

3 hours ago, Dennis47 said:

WELCOME mphsneon!

What amp are you using with the CM-1090?

You can obtain a Carver Z-1 Wide Band Z Coupler device and be able to use both the

CM-1090 amp section and an outboard amp....~^

Thanks, I see there have been a few on ebay. I will look more about them. Thanks

• Community Admin
19 hours ago, mphsneon said:

That was thought but wanted to make sure.  thanks

Thanks, I see there have been a few on ebay. I will look more about them. Thanks

Welcome to the site.., check out the manuals database here for more on the 1090.

I don't think you need the Z-1... (Someone correct me if I am wrong...)  Z-1 would allow you to take the speaker out of the 1090, into the pre-amp in of the separate amp.  That is one way to go.

If it were me, I would try this ('cause I like lots of speakers !!  - why waste an amp, if you have it.)   …  I would pull the pre-out to amp-in jumpers, and put in an RCA Y-cable.  Connect the single end of the "y" cable to the pre-OUT side.    Loop one of the "y" ends back to the amp-IN, so you'll be driving speakers from the 1090.  (I think you DO need to have a load on the 1090 speaker outputs, as you would connect them normally.)

Then, the other end of the "y" put into your external new amp - you may need a short 18" RCA "Y" extension.

This idea would allow you to drive 2 "Main" speakers from your stand-alone amp, and some satellite speakers from your speaker outputs of the 1090.

Any member see an issue with that?

Edited by AndrewJohn