FNG with a Q

Greetings and thank  you in advance for any advice  you may offer me.

I have a pair of Phase Linear 400's and a 4000 preamp. The amps are in great shape physically, zero scratches, good lights and meters.  Just  gorgeous.   I have not used them for years but I'd like to relight that candle.  But this time, I want to use fuses inline to the speakers.   The last time I used them, I had an issue with a volume spike which caused  one of them to fry a pair of woofer voice coils.   According to the local "stereo repair guy" (who actually does seem to know what he's talking about and has a thriving repair business) my condo's electrics were more the issue than anything.

The wall which contained the power outlets went through the bathroom circuit and was constantly acting up.   The speakers would make a pop sound when anyone went in and turned ON or OFF (especially OFF) either the light or fan in the bathroom, the speakers would hum when the fan was on, etc.  Its been years but I remember various other electrical gremlins on that side of the condo, the wall plugs were intermittent, etc.   It was his belief that the electrics were the issue and not the amp.  He called it a DC transient spike or something that went right through the amp.

So, I'd like to fuse protect the speakers but I don't quite know how.   A few questions...

1.  Is it a simple inline, automotive style fuse holder with a glass fuse? 

2.  Does it need to be soldered to the wire?

3.  Fuse amperage?

4.  One fuse for each speaker, attached to the + wire?

5.  Anything else that I'm missing?

I've got a big man cave over my garage and I'd like to get it thumping.   I'm going to use a pair of Klipsch CF-3's and perhaps some Klipsch KLF-30's or KLF-20's.   I have  a few other options as well.  

ANY help appreciated.

OM

Edited by oldmako
clarity and additional info
  • Thank You 5

Hello oldmako, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. We have at least a couple of guys that love and work on Phase Linear gear. I'm sure one of them (or more) will chime in on how to address your issues.

While I am by no means a tech, I would think you should address your electrical issues. They can adversely affect whatever you route you decide to pursue.

Once you progress past Inbound status you'll get the permissions you need to upload some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.d2caeed42cb7cdf6011b96919c2e7170.gif

Welcome. Since you are dealing with an AC signal, you can one fuse either Pos or Neg side, but most people choose Pos. To calculate fuse size, take the power (in watts), say 200, and divide by the speaker impedance (say 8 ohms), then find the square root of the result. 200/8=25, √25=5, so in that case I'd use a 5A fast blow fuse. You can use either ATC or ACG type fuses and in line holders.

• Thank You 4

Welcome!

Try this for a starting point. 'Draw' a line from your speaker impedance across to the max power and find the fuse size.

fusing.jpg

FWIW, I use 3A fast-blow in my Amazing Silvers.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin
26 minutes ago, Rod H said:

Welcome!

Try this for a starting point. 'Draw' a line from your speaker impedance across to the max power and find the fuse size.

fusing.jpg

FWIW, I use 3A fast-blow in my Amazing Silvers.

Very cool, chart, Rod.  Thank you.  BTW, what was the source of that?  I'm curious.   I think I've seen it before?  

4 hours ago, Dennis47 said:

WELCOME aboard  oldmako!|-|

Are your Phase Linear amps and preamp Series I or Series II?

My amps are Series 1.   I am unsure of the PreAmp.

Many thanks for all the info.  I will research ATC and AGC fuses and holders.

Welcome oldmako!  I can't offer you any good tech advice, though there are many here who can and will help, but it is great to see someone rocking a set of Phase Linear gear, joining.  ?

Welcome to the site, glad you found us, enjoy.

Tell us about the rest of your system.

We love Carver but most all of us if not all, have other brands of equipment in their systems.

What types of music and bands and or artists do you enjoy listening to ? 

Wow, that's a wide open question and one that might take a bit of effort!  I was a stereo junkie in High School when I couldn't afford squat so I am a bit of a sucker for old stuff.   Hence the Phase gear.

Main living area -

Pioneer SX-9100 silverface , wood case, immaculate.

Squeezebox Touch

Marantz CD player

Klipsch KLF-30's Black

Man Cave - 

Sansui G-5700

Klipsch CF-3 cherry front and Advents rear.

Mostly iTunes and a computer for source.   But an older Sony CD player there as well.  This is where I manage the tunes for the Squeezebox.  Close to 1 TB of material.

This is where I plan to resurrect the Phase 400's.

Main surround -

BIG old Denon AVR (?)  Not sure of the number and out of the country right now...7.1 and huge.

Klipsch KLF - 20 fronts Black.  Klipsch Heresey rears.  Walnut.  Klipsch 13 inch sub.  Klipsch CF-7 center  Black.

Secondary surround -

Panasonic SA XR 55

Klipsch Forte Walnut

Klipsch Academy center

Bedroom  1-

Fisher 500C  serviced to perfect by the local tube guy.  Wood case included.  Immaculate.  $35 bucks on Craigslist!

Klipsch Forte II's  Black.

Bedroom 2-

Marantz 2240 receiver

Klipsch Heresey, walnut.

Bedroom 3-

Panasonic SA-ER 55 HT receiver.   Perfectly silent sound.  Amazing.  $50 on eBay.

Klipsch Heresey Birch

In storage

Kenwood 7100 and 8100 amps, tuner

Teac RTR

Klipsch 15 inch sub

Klipsch CF-7 center

Marantz digital tuner

Phase Linear 4000 preamp - Serviced about 5 years ago by the number 2 or 3 (??) guy from PL in SEA.  Can't remember his name, but I have the receipt.  

Other misc stuff.

Short on time right now so that's just a sketch.  I'm sure I left some out.

Old rock, blues, roots, jazz, classical, cuban jazz, bluegrass, alt rock....most anything but rap, crap and kiddy (popular) music.

Edited by oldmako
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Needless to say I am a fan.   My brother turned me on to them and I started watching CList.   I scored all of them there locally and only paid a "reasonable" price for two pair.  All the others were stolen.   I left out the Klipsch and Magnaplaners (etc) that bought and that I've already sold!  There was a window about ten years ago when older SS gear was going for next to nothing.  Now all of a sudden, its in demand and flies off the shelves. 

Still looking for a nice pair of Cornwalls or LaScalas.  

Edited by oldmako
  • Thank You 3

19 minutes ago, oldmako said:

Needless to say I am a fan.   My brother turned me on to them and I started watching CList.   I scored all of them there locally and only paid a "reasonable" price for two pair.  All the others were stolen.   I left out the Klipsch that bought and that I've already sold!  Still looking for a nice pair of Cornwalls.  

There are many Klipsch fans here! I have a Klipsch RC-3 for my HT center channel.

OK!  Now we're talking.  My repair guy mentioned something about a mod to the amps, but knew little.   Can you please elaborate about this upgrade?   Where do I get it, how much, how hard to install etc ???

I see "Capacitor Assembly",  "Backplane Kit" and "Backplane Wire Kit".    Which ones do I need?

Any info appreciated.

I will google it now.

Edited by oldmako