Daddyjt

What the H$LL is the world coming to??

I’ve been reading (and swallowing) these stories for a while now, but I have seen two within the past 24 hours that have pushed me over the edge. First it was no dodgeball, then we couldn’t keep score at (small) kids sporting events (even though everyone there knows the score, even the kids).  Then it was no “unhealthy” snacks at school - kids can’t even have peanut butter sandwiches in their personal lunches in many school districts. Then it was a ban on snowball fights, cops and robbers and tag - tag! Then it was Thanksgiving (sorry, indigenous peoples day), Columbus Day, Veterans Day and Flag Day - all too offensive. 

Now today, I read that there is “concern” over Rudolph the red nosed reindeer and the song Baby It’s Cold Outside. The former, because it encourages bullying, and the latter because it encourages date-rape. Yes, date-rape. Does ANYONE really believe that?  Has anyone ever claimed that song as the impetuous for committing rape?

Damn, I sound like an angry old codger. Probably something offensive there too - too bad I don’t give a shit. 

• Thank You 6
  • Sad 2

Mark,

If only you knew. Trust me, you can’t put a patch on my feelings. I’ll try to bite my tongue and follow Danowood’s example but it’s damn tough.

• Thank You 6

I'm usually known for being quite politically correct, however, things like this go WAY beyond my tolerance, too.   Stupidity reigns supreme!

• Thank You 5

Does anyone remember any of these things:

Riding a bike without a helmet?

Having a gas can that didn’t require a PhD to get the gas out?

Drinking out of the garden hose?

Riding in the bed of a pickup truck?

Getting an “F” in a class at school?  And having your parents spank you? With a belt??

• Thank You 5

1 hour ago, Daddyjt said:

Does anyone remember any of these things:

Riding a bike without a helmet?

Having a gas can that didn’t require a PhD to get the gas out?

Drinking out of the garden hose?

Riding in the bed of a pickup truck?

Getting an “F” in a class at school?  And having your parents spank you? With a belt??

Yeah I do.  Plus more, although I'm getting so old I can't remember what they are.  PC (not aimed @Brian_at_HHH) has stifled more serious problem debate than anything I can remember (although refer to first sentence).  Hard to solve issues if they can not be discussed.  Congress is the greatest example of that.  Of course I would be happy if the result was open warfare and they beat the shit out of each other.  And this concludes the sermon from Mt. MLB111.

• Thank You 3

16 minutes ago, MLB111 said:

they beat the shit out of each other

If Congress did that, all that would be left would be a pile of shoes.

13 hours ago, Rod H said:

Global warming should melt all the snowflakes soon......

Global warming is by design. If we melt the polar ice caps, we'll stave off the inevitable water shortage for at least a couple of centuries.

You should see an AlGore acolyte froth at the mouth when I tell them that with my best poker face. I swear you'd think they had rabies.

Edited by Sk1Bum
<mumble, mumble> auto-munge, oops, I mean auto-merge
  • Haha 3

I hope nobody thought my earlier comments were against the stupidity that Daddyjt highlighted - my BS tolerance is very low, and that was decidedly in the WTF category.

Here's an example of the same brain damaged thinking I remember from a couple of years ago.  Some busybody was trying to have Halloween banned, here as offensive.  When everything else failed, they came out with the statement that it was offensive to Wiccan's.  Fortunately sanity prevailed when the head of the Wiccan's issued the statement that they were totally in favour of Halloween, and how dare someone try to speak for them about it.

• Thank You 5

Once you create a society where everyone's opinion is equally important, you've created a society where you can't get anything done.

It's not "the strong shall survive" anymore.   The strong are being reduced to the level of the weak.  Let's all sit around and complain about everything, even though we are living in the most convenient time ever known.  Let's criticize the past because it doesn't conform to present ideals.  

Technological advancements have left humans with nothing to do but stare at digital devices all day.   We are in the decline.   I hope the next species to dominate the earth fares better.

8---

• Thank You 5

49 minutes ago, Balok said:

Once you create a society where everyone's opinion is equally important, you've created a society where you can't get anything done.

It's not "the strong shall survive" anymore.   The strong are being reduced to the level of the weak.  Let's all sit around and complain about everything, even though we are living in the most convenient time ever known.  Let's criticize the past because it doesn't conform to present ideals.  

Technological advancements have left humans with nothing to do but stare at digital devices all day.   We are in the decline.   I hope the next species to dominate the earth fares better.

8---

All great points Lee.

Here in the States, we're seeing life span decline, and we not only criticize the past, we rewrite history.

• Thank You 3

17 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

Guys, I think we can have a reasonable discussion about the erosion of things we all grew up with and took for granted without getting crazy political...

Thats been tried before, the resistors will turn it into an argument, therefore, I don't go there. Sorry.

11 minutes ago, danowood said:

That second video was AWESOME!  I’m still laughing!!

19 minutes ago, Rod H said:

I try and often fail to live by 2 rules.

1: Don't start shit.

2: When somebody else starts shit, don't step in it.

I was not attempting to start shit folks - I don’t think this PC construct is limited to a particular political affiliation. 

If the conversation digresses into the political, I will lock the thread myself - but I really think we’re all adult enough to pull this off...  who’s with me?

• Thank You 8

20 hours ago, Rod H said:

20 hours ago, Rod H said:

I am thinking about getting a flame thrower and speeding up the process......grin

6 hours ago, MLB111 said:

Yeah I do.  Plus more, although I'm getting so old I can't remember what they are.  PC (not aimed @Brian_at_HHH) has stifled more serious problem debate than anything I can remember (although refer to first sentence).  Hard to solve issues if they can not be discussed.  Congress is the greatest example of that.  Of course I would be happy if the result was open warfare and they beat the shit out of each other.  And this concludes the sermon from Mt. MLB111.

Amen brother.  Would the ushers come and receive the offering for our guest speaker Rev MLB111?........grin

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dadvw said:

I am thinking about getting a flame thrower and speeding up the process......grin

Want some help? 

• Thank You 1

I'll tiptoe my way in and add my $.02 on the matter of PC run amok

You cannot have highs without lows,

Happiness without sadness,

joy without disappointment,

hills without valleys,

life without death.

If all the 'lows' are taken out of life, how can you recognize the 'highs?

If I'm not allowed to tell someone how I really feel, two have been slighted.

My rights to express myself are diminished, 

The person I am talking to does not get to know the truth.

Seems sad to me.

• Thank You 9