Daddyjt

What the H$LL is the world coming to??

The current, and ongoing (since 2006) debate around this:

240px-Illiniwek_logo.svg.png

How did a symbolic dance maintained for 80 years in its original concept demonstrating "friendship" between historical characters "Chief Illiniwek and William Penn" get to this?  (It was a metaphor for "sportsmanship" in that original game between Illinois and U of Pennsylvania.  This controversy was in the news again THIS WEEK!

Article describing the history of it's 1926 origin and it's originator Lester Leutwiler an Eagle Scout and Engineering Major who had incredible interest and respect for native American history and folklore, as well as great reverence to their tenacity and will to survive in the face of adversity: http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2015-02-01/whatever-happened-first-chief-illiniwek.html

What's next? Are "Beavers" and "Ducks" offended?  

And, for what it's worth, ILLINI Sports have pretty much sucked since the loss of The Chief, as one more reminder of the greatness of Native Americans, disappears.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 4

I work with a lot of young people and it didn't take long to figure out that I needed to be very careful about what I would say to them. After about the tenth time of one of them coming in thirty minutes to two hours late everyday I casually said "Well, good afternoon". She spent the next thirty minutes coming up with one excuse after another and she was on the verge of tears.....yikes. Now she wants a different job because she doesn't feel like she's making a meaningful impact. Oh my.

Carter

• Thank You 2

As a youngster, I grew up in a small town in central Illinois about 30 miles south of Champaign-Urbana, where the University of Illinois is located. My folks had season tickets to the U of I games and I got to see some great college football. Despite the talent and caliber of play, Nothing could compare with the halftime show when Chief Illini came storming out of the band’s formation to do his dance. The whole stadium erupted and as a little kid I too went wild. Chief Illini had to be the most revered personna in the whole state. Everybody loved the pageantry and the excitement was contagious. No one protested anything - The Chief was everybody’s favorite and when he finished and stood motionless with arms folded across his chest, there was no question about the pride he instilled in everyone.

I feel sorry for all of those who will never know what this experience was all about. This PC crap has gone way too far but Johnny Jr. can now be raised in the safety of an antiseptic environment - poor kid. 

• Thank You 7

In the publishing industry, we now have sensitivity readers that slog through manuscripts annihilating anything that might remotely be deemed offensive and to edit novels to portray races one particular way with all other ways being - you guessed it - offensive. As if there's only one way the people of each race experiences/ed the world and life  :S

• Thank You 7
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, The Raven said:

In the publishing industry, we now have sensitivity readers that slog through manuscripts annihilating anything that might remotely be deemed offensive and to edit novels to portray races one particular way with all other ways being - you guessed it - offensive. As if there's only one way the people of each race experiences/ed the world and life  :S

You’ve got to be shitting me...!

I wonder how our literary classics would fare in such a process - or what the end product woul look like?

• Thank You 7

14 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

I wonder how our literary classics would fare in such a process - or what the end product woul look like?

I wish I was. It's a disturbing and horrifying trend. Instead of embracing the beauty of diversity and accepting that everyone is an individual with their own unique views and experiences, they're trying to narrow how people in certain races, genders, and the GLBT community are represented. Some even go so far as to try to dictate how male and female characters are allowed to interact and how they're allowed to approach or talk to one another. Much of it is extremely sexist towards men and attempts to make it seem normal, smart, or even right that all women should view all men as violent deviants until proven otherwise.  It's disgusting. 

• Thank You 3
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, The Raven said:

I wish I was. It's a disturbing and horrifying trend. Instead of embracing the beauty of diversity and accepting that everyone is an individual with their own unique views and experiences, they're trying to narrow how people in certain races, genders, and the GLBT community are represented. Some even go so far as to try to dictate how male and female characters are allowed to interact and how they're allowed to approach or talk to one another. Much of it is extremely sexist towards men and attempts to make it seem normal, smart, or even right that all women should view all men as violent deviants until proven otherwise.  It's disgusting. 

Yet one more reason to "self publish," it seems.

• Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

They'd never see print and in fact, schools and universities are not teaching them anymore. If they do, it's only to point out how 'bigoted' people were.

All that stuff is being replaced by 'gender studies'.

• Thank You 3
  • Sad 2

I eagerly await the apocalypse.

The snowflake SJW's will all go catatonic in the fetal position while those of us with real world knowledge will thrive.

We'll have to eat the vegan one first as they won't keep as long.

Anybody offended? :b--

• Thank You 5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rod H said:

We'll have to eat the vegan one first as they won't keep as long.

Think they'll taste like chicken?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Rockster2U said:

Would you like to Barf?

It's all the devils work and the devils detail.  We've been under attack for decades and this started through the education system, to change society norms.  What we are seeing is the fruition of their work and the parental failures   of those in society that have left the education system and the media (TV) up to raising their children without parental monitoring.  I for one didn't let it happen in my watch.   This is a prime example of parental supervision in child raising. 

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'Governments don't want an intelligent population because people who can think critically can't be RULED They want a pubilc just smart enough to pay taxes and dumb enough to keep voting and electing corrupt politicians. -George Carlin'

Edited by danowood
grammer
  • Thank You 9

I am beyond impressed with the woman in that video...!

I have had this conversation with both of my children.... dozens of times.

They ask me why we have three American Flags flying on our property... this woman sums it up.

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 2