Daddyjt

What the H$LL is the world coming to??

4 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

They all come from Canada anyway.

We don't want them - that's why we send them to you!  :--D

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, danowood said:

Huh. I wonder how, exactly, the creators of this study think this is so different from traditional masculine values. To protect your family, you have to have a selfless nature because a selfish man would cut and run, protecting himself instead of family. You have to be a selfless man to work hard for, sacrifice for, and raise a family - a selfish man would abandon them. As I glance back at history, personal and worldly, the greatest of men were almost all of a selfless nature.

Going into the military is, for most, a selfless gesture - the willingness to go into battle without ever knowing if you'll make it home alive all to protect your family and your country...wow. I can't think of anything that tops that act of selflessness. Three of our kids and quite a few of their friends are active military members - they're all in the 18-23 age range and none of them went in to be some rampaging 'badass' (okay, the only one whose mouth that came out of was my daughter's and it was secondary to protecting her family and country), neither did any military member that I've ever encountered from old to young.

All of the above also play into helping others. Back in the day, people (men and women alike) helped each other with everything from protecting their villages/towns to harvesting to raising barns to cleaning up damage from storms. If we look over human history, helping others has (I'm sure with some exceptions) always been a highly valued male attribute. 

And you can't get any more 'open-minded' and 'open to new people and experiences' than willingly taking your family on a treacherous boat ride across a vast ocean to an unknown land with foreign people. Or move your family via horse and cart (or entirely on foot) across a country to an unknown and wild, wild west. So color me baffled at how the creators of this study somehow think traditional men weren't open-minded, open to new people, and new experiences - and the far greater risk those posed back then than today.

While we've always had and always will have men who believe in 'ripped-abs strong', that was never a 'traditional' male value - strength and health was because you can't run a farm or protect your family without those but you can do it without ripped abs.

So I'd be real interested in picking the brains behind this study to figure out where they see the actual discrepancy. 

Edited by The Raven
Edited because my brain was glitchy and I forgot words...lol
  • Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, danowood said:

Masculinity under assault ,  how will this affect our military?

https://www.studyfinds.org/millennial-men-ditching-masculine-values-embracing-altruism/

That is one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. Comparing 'machoism' to 'tradition masculinity' is by far one of the most ignorant stereotypes around. Even to suggest that masculinity is the anti-type to altruism, social involvement and openness is so far from real biologic science and historical evidence that it typifies hostile social activism.

“They want to be both caring and strong, both open to others and self-sufficient, and they see no contradiction in these values.”  Who wrote this? 13 year olds?

You really can't care and act on it unless you are strong, you can't be self-sufficient unless you are open to others, and no successful man or woman ever thought that being caring and strong (mental or physical) was somehow opposed to each other? Good god how fucking stupid!!!!

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

4 minutes ago, Balok said:

Most of us are NOT admitting that this has happened.

At the risk of stepping into dangerous waters (try to take this in the humour it's meant to be) ... 'Tis not "the Donald" at least!   :)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nahash5150 said:

That is one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. Comparing 'machoism' to 'tradition masculinity' is by far one of the most ignorant stereotypes around. Even to suggest that masculinity is the anti-type to altruism, social involvement and openness is so far from real biologic science and historical evidence that it typifies hostile social activism.

“They want to be both caring and strong, both open to others and self-sufficient, and they see no contradiction in these values.”  Who wrote this? 13 year olds?

You really can't care and act on it unless you are strong, you can't be self-sufficient unless you are open to others, and no successful man or woman ever thought that being caring and strong (mental or physical) was somehow opposed to each other? Good god how fucking stupid!!!!

More toxicity spewed by the left and media...........   It's crazy how many will buy into this propaganda       

• Thank You 4

9 hours ago, The Raven said:

Think they'll taste like chicken?

Most of the ones I have seen look like a wilted stalk of celery.  If they were a fruit, vegetable, or meat, they would be thrown out as spoiled or rotten.

• Haha 1

Sorry I was too busy eating Kale to opine on this subject.

Gotta love the NPC memes lol

A radio station banned "Baby its cold outside" as being to rapey?

Edited by Retriever
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, The Raven said:

Huh. I wonder how, exactly, the creators of this study think this is so different from traditional masculine values. To protect your family, you have to have a selfless nature because a selfish man would cut and run, protecting himself instead of family. You have to be a selfless man to work hard for, sacrifice for, and raise a family - a selfish man would abandon them. As I glance back at history, personal and worldly, the greatest of men were almost all of a selfless nature.

Going into the military is, for most, a selfless gesture - the willingness to go into battle without ever knowing if you'll make it home alive all to protect your family and your country...wow. I can't think of anything that tops that act of selflessness. Three of our kids and quite a few of their friends are active military members - they're all in the 18-23 age range and none of them went in to be some rampaging 'badass' (okay, the only one whose mouth that came out of was my daughter's and it was secondary to protecting her family and country), neither did any military member that I've ever encountered from old to young.

All of the above also play into helping others. Back in the day, people (men and women alike) helped each other with everything from protecting their villages/towns to harvesting to raising barns to cleaning up damage from storms. If we look over human history, helping others has (I'm sure with some exceptions) always been a highly valued male attribute. 

And you can't get any more 'open-minded' and 'open to new people and experiences' than willingly taking your family on a treacherous boat ride across a vast ocean to an unknown land with foreign people. Or move your family via horse and cart (or entirely on foot) across a country to an unknown and wild, wild west. So color me baffled at how the creators of this study somehow think traditional men weren't open-minded, open to new people, and new experiences - and the far greater risk those posed back then than today.

While we've always had and always will have men who believe in 'ripped-abs strong', that was never a 'traditional' male value - strength and health was because you can't run a farm or protect your family without those but you can do it without ripped abs.

So I'd be real interested in picking the brains behind this study to figure out where they see the actual discrepancy. 

Great synopsis - reminds me of Jordan Peterson’s style (that’s a compliment, BTW!)

2 hours ago, Retriever said:

Sorry I was too busy eating Kale to opine on this subject.

Gotta love the NPC memes lol

A radio station banned "Baby its cold outside" as being to rapey?

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending-now/baby-its-cold-outside-removed-from-radio-stations-playlist-1/880886226

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, The Raven said:

In the publishing industry, we now have sensitivity readers that slog through manuscripts annihilating anything that might remotely be deemed offensive and to edit novels to portray races one particular way with all other ways being - you guessed it - offensive. As if there's only one way the people of each race experiences/ed the world and life  :S

Almost a day later and I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one.  @Daddyjt's reaction comment is as far as I can get.  I wonder if I will start seeing this as I read my favorite authors. 

• Thank You 3

You know things have gone sideways when a teacher punishes a kid for using a word appropriately all because some teachers are 'offended' by it.  

Toby (our youngest) got a lunch 'reflection' and threatened with afterschool detention for expressing his dislike of an assignment by saying, "This sucks." 

When the teacher called, he kept saying that Toby was using inappropriate language in class. It took three tries to drag what Toby said and the context behind it out of the teacher. I laughed. Rude, perhaps, but really? Long convo short, the teacher admitted that the assignment could be considered something that sucked and he himself admitted the 'reflection' might seem petty but 'some teachers are offended by that word.' He couldn't concretely define for me why.

Considering one of the accepted definitions of 'suck' is: 

INFORMALNORTH AMERICAN
be very bad, disagreeable, or disgusting.
"I love your country, but the weather sucks"

And its link to music,  he was out of line punishing Toby for using an acceptable word in an appropriate fashion. If the only way these teachers can interpret 'suck' is in a sexual sense - that's disturbing. And what's next? Kids can't say 'I spent the afternoon drilling holes for my project' or 'I like to weed' because drill and weed both can be interpreted in a sexual or drug-related fashion. ARGH!!!! 

Waiting for the Principle to return my call today 😈

Edited by The Raven
  • Thank You 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, MLB111 said:

Almost a day later and I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one.  @Daddyjt's reaction comment is as far as I can get.  I wonder if I will start seeing this as I read my favorite authors. 

I remember in the late ‘80s one of the assigned reading books in my high school AP Government class was Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. An interesting read to be sure, if not a particularly well written book.

can you imagine the horror if a student even possessed that book on school grounds today, let alone it be assigned reading?  I think the school would be on lock down, and the student/teacher executed. 

• Thank You 4

5 hours ago, MLB111 said:

In this hyper-reactive culture that bows to the eternally offended, in which a white fantasy author who created a fictional tribe in a fictional world happens to describe the people as reddish skinned with painted faces is accused of appropriating the Native American culture and forced into major revisions...you'll notice it more in the stories we don't tell.

• Sad 2

On 12/3/2018 at 3:49 AM, Daddyjt said:

You’ve got to be shitting me...!

I wonder how our literary classics would fare in such a process - or what the end product woul look like?

I'm reading "Huckleberry Finn" right now and I'll bet that would be setting off triggers in most of the young population.

• Thank You 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

I remember in the late ‘80s one of the assigned reading books in my high school AP Government class was Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. An interesting read to be sure, if not a particularly well written book.

can you imagine the horror if a student even possessed that book on school grounds today, let alone it be assigned reading?  I think the school would be on lock down, and the student/teacher executed. 

I just assumed it was required indoctrination. Government funded health care, gun control, mandated fees & taxes to the tune of 40+% of income, banned words, ...  

• Thank You 3

4 hours ago, The Raven said:

In this hyper-reactive culture that bows to the eternally offended, in which a white fantasy author who created a fictional tribe in a fictional world happens to describe the people as reddish skinned with painted faces is accused of appropriating the Native American culture and forced into major revisions...you'll notice it more in the stories we don't tell.

Kinda like Pocahontas?  (Elizabeth Warren )  :)

• Thank You 3

Folks,

this is has been a good discussion thus far, and I am proud of all of you for staying out of the “political weeds”. The stuff we are discussing transcends political parties and individual politicians. 

In the the spirit of kepleping this healthy discussion going, I respectfully ask that you think twice (or three or four times) before mentioning a particular political party or a specific politician. Those roads are sure to truncate our conversation in short order🙏

• Thank You 3