Rod H

What's cookin?

1 hour ago, Sk1Bum said:

It sat in a soy sauce and pineapple juice marinade for a couple of days prior to cooking too.

Now THAT sounds good.  I will have to try that.  :B-D:

Step 1 - Load 10 lbs of hickory pellets into the hopper of the Traeger and set the temp to 160° F.

Step 2 - Drop 8 lbs of brisket onto the Traeger.

Step 3 - Once every hour spray a secret sauce onto the brisket, keeping it moist and tender.

Step 4 - Leave the brisket on the Traeger until the internal temperature reaches 150° F.  (About 10 hours). Adjust temperature control to 225° F.

Step 5 - Remove the brisket from the Traeger when the internal temperature reaches 165° F. (About 1 1/2 hours).

Step 6 - Cover the brisket with foil, wrap the entire platter and brisket in beach towels and let it rest for 30 minutes.

Step 7 - Carve and hopefully it looks something like this :

Brisket 4.JPG

Brisket 1.jpg

Brisket 3.JPG

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

Stickers

The bark on that brisket looks great!  I love me some brisket.  In my earlier years, I worked for a Texas BBQ caterer, that specialized in brisket.  They had a smoker that could hold 2000 lbs of meat.  I remember one big catering, where I carved almost 50 briskets in one service.  Since then I've developed my technique for smoking.  I've never used a traeger, but I've heard that they have great results since they keep such a consistent temp.  I use a weber smokey mountain, which is much trickier to keep a consistent temp.  Typically, I use Kingsford Charcoal mixed with smokewood, but I've been experimenting with Royal Oak.  I've smoked them as long as 14 hours.  The last one I did was 18 lbs.  It was both the point and flat muscles.  I could barely shoehorn it onto the cooker.

After seasoning, I cook it fat side up around 200 - 225 until the internal temp reaches 170.  Then, I foil it (aka the Texas Crutch) and put it back on the cooker until internal temp reaches ~195.   Rest it in a cooler until it's time to eat.

• Thank You 2

Avocado Chocolate Cupcakes

Avocado, maple syrple, soy milk & canola oil hold the dry ingredients together;  the frosting is silken tofu, maple syrple , vanilla & semi-sweet choco . Mildly sweet, moist, accent on choco. This batch heralded the demise of the countertop convection oven, the fan is kaput. 

380406247_A-CCupcakes.thumb.jpeg.f5d92f5beb6186dfd33dfea4dad7a0e0.jpeg

• Thank You 2

You know, I thought I behaved myself fairly well over the holidays, but just reading this thread has caused me to put on several pounds, not to mention drooling all over my keyboard.  There are some incredible chef talents hidden amongst this group, for sure.

• Thank You 1

On 1/1/2019 at 8:21 PM, Brian_at_HHH said:

Now THAT sounds good.  I will have to try that.  :B-D:

Soy sauce & pineapple juice  is great for any beef or pork cut. Maybe not hamburger... :D

• Thank You 1

Christmas Day at 8,500 feet in Colorado I grilled a Prime Rib Boneless Roast over Charcoal with Hickory Chips,  pulled it off the Grill @ 118 F Internal temperature and let stand wrapped in Aluminum Foil for half an hour...

It was the best tasting Prime Rib I ever ate😋

• Thank You 1