wav & flac

Sk1Bum

wav & flac  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer a specific digital file format for critical listening?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/07/2019 at 04:00 AM

I'm just curious as to file format preference and why.  If you choose other,  please identify that format and explain.

Thank you to all that participate.

Edited by Sk1Bum
  • Thank You 3

The preference(s) will determine what formats are downloadable from the Music Library.

I personally prefer wav, then the user can change the format to suit. You can use freeware such as FormatFactory to change formats.

• Thank You 3

33 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I use FLAC, OGG and APE to transfer music to RTR Tape; I'm hooked on tape and probably will be for the remainder of my life.... ~^

For OGG, do you use OGG-Vorbis or another codec?

• Thank You 1

As odd as it may sound, for a computer guy, I have to go with the "No Preference" option, right now.  I'm still in the very early stages of moving into the "soft" music world.  I have to admit most of what I have are MP3, but those are primarily used for light listening off my tablet & BT headphones, and especially to let me decide what I like enough to buy in a quality format (for me that's typically on CD).

I'm quite interested in the results, here as it may influence which way I go.  To that end, thanks for the survey and thread @Sk1Bum!

• Thank You 2

Went through this years ago.  FLAC all the way.  Lossless.  Good tag editing tools.  Pretty much universally accepted.  What little MP3 I've acquired was converted to FLAC just to keep things simple.

When I used an iPod (don't any more), I would convert to MP3 from the master FLAC file.

• Thank You 2

32 minutes ago, Rod H said:

Wav or FLAC. Nothing Apple.

I've read forums and usenet groups where discussing religion or politics was less controversial than pc vs mac. :D 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

I've read forums and usenet groups where discussing religion or politics was less controversial than pc vs mac. :D 

Cables don’t make a difference....

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:
58 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

religion or politics was less controversial than pc vs mac. :D 

Synthetic Oil or Dyno? Which one should I put in my Car/Motorcyle/Boat/RV/Lawnmower........

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, jeffs said:

Synthetic Oil or Dyno? Which one should I put in my Car/Motorcyle/Boat/RV/Lawnmower........

Organic sustainably sourced free range non-GMO heritage seed stock cold pressed oil.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

Yes they do!  I don't get ANY sound without them!  ?  ?  ?

Okay, I'll go hide, now - if I didn't just get myself permanently banned.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Yes they do!  I don't get ANY sound without them!  ?  ?  ?

Okay, I'll go hide, now - if I didn't just get myself permanently banned.

Bluetooth

5 hours ago, DrummerJuice said:

Anyone using DSD? I had a few albums but my newest Roku Ultra doesn't play them when my previous Roku 3 would...progress?

No luck on DSD, here - sorry @DrummerJuice.  But that's one of the things that has always worried me about the digital format - that there's this risk they will become the flavor of the month then be abandoned for the next hot format that comes along.  Then again, I hoarded some gear for playing vinyl for ages just in case...

7 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Bluetooth

@Sk1Bum, I try to avoid communication protocols that are significantly less stable than I am!

• Thank You 2

5 hours ago, DrummerJuice said:

Anyone using DSD?

My oppo will play it, but I've all I've seen ripped from SACD is the cd layer. I thought copy protection prevented ripping DSD, at least until someone finds a way around it.

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

No luck on DSD, here - sorry @DrummerJuice.  But that's one of the things that has always worried me about the digital format - that there's this risk they will become the flavor of the month then be abandoned for the next hot format that comes along.  Then again, I hoarded some gear for playing vinyl for ages just in case...

@Sk1Bum, I try to avoid communication protocols that are significantly less stable than I am!

You would never have to worry about wav files - they are bit for bit uncompressed real deal music data. Nothing fancy. They'll never go away as a data file (technically wav is not a music format, but a file type). Although wav's can be compressed and use codecs, they can also be completely lossless.

• Thank You 3

I guess I might be the exception based on the various comments I’ve read but I’m an old fashioned guy who borders on becoming an anachronism himself. My vote goes to WAV which one can convert to any format they want. WAV will play on most anything out there component-wise whereas one can’t say the same with other file formats. One lonesome vote for “the old guys” heavily invested in “old gear”. If your music library contains several thousand songs I get the point but I don’t really see the advantage of having several hundred TV channels either. To me, it’s like looking at a 15 page restaurant menu - just give me a steak, salad and a potato.

• That Rocks 3

15 hours ago, jeffs said:

Synthetic in everything here, for years

• Thank You 2