Rod H

What audio toys did you get for Christmas 2018?

Posted (edited)

I got the 50th anniversary Beatles white album box set!  Listening to disc 4 as we speak! Taking my head back 50 years lol,  I got the white album under the tree 50 years ago!  These alternate tracks are having fun with my head!  Lol

The blues version of Helter Skelter is mind blowing!

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 7

Posted (edited)

Don't know how...but I must have been on Santa's "Good" list.

Received a Quad set of vintage (circa 1959)  NOS Seimens EL84 vacuum tubes

in their original pristine boxes. I'll  use them in my 2011 Carverfest tube amp.

This is my first contact with Seimens tubes, so it will be interesting to see

how they compare to the NOS Telefunkens (circa '55/'57) I'm now using.

Thanks Santa!

Edited by Dennis47
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 5

Posted (edited)

The one 50 years ago did not have the embossed ‘the beatles’ On the cover and had black vinyl and only mark on front was a serial number!  The version I just got was a 6 cd set with a Blu-ray audio disc!  I listened to cd3 ‘Esher demos’  and Cd4 tonight!  Cd 5 and 6 tomorrow!  The original album has also been remixed, I think it sounds good, I think bass and drums seem much more forward!  I like it though it’s somewhat different to what was originally mixed!

00D433D4-F2DA-4422-9EBC-DB82ED544279.jpeg

My copy was similar to this, but did not have the Beatles in the center, only a number on it, about a year later, the title was added, later in it was embossed!  Iirc my brother Rick kept taking the white album back as. It would keep skipping on the song Birthday.  Apparently some of the early pressings had a defect.

Edited by BarryG
  • That Rocks 4

21 hours ago, Rod H said:

I got a tube DAC

image.png.c0e2333e8b48cdca621c37aef5df5330.png

20 hours ago, BarryG said:

I got the 50th anniversary Beatles white album box set!  Listening to disc 4 as we speak! Taking my head back 50 years lol,  I got the white album under the tree 50 years ago!  These alternate tracks are having fun with my head!  Lol

The blues version of Helter Skelter is mind blowing!

You guys scored big!

ray 

I bought this for myself on a Black Friday sale.  It's an Elac Uni-Fi UC5 center channel.  I'd already had it integrated in my system, but  Wifey gift wrapped the box and put a new framing hammer inside.  I guess that was her subtle hint that she wants some stuff done around the house.  I see some rustic, floating shelves in her future.

1733713495_elacuc5.jpg.2599c2fecb1abbd0d4662982542cef12.jpg

• Thank You 3
  • Haha 3

I decided to try out a Vincent tubed pre-amp. It has bass and treble, which I will need from now on. It also has a remote that just what I like for volume, at least. I am in the middle of getting a Forte' model 3 repaired, redesigned and happy about the opportunity. The design engineer lives close, and so you all will get photos in a month or so. Fingers crossed for the pair.

• Thank You 3

I bought a Ashly 4x8 protea xover. I have been through a lot of different active xovers trying to find the best one for my amazings. I started with the Ashly xr1001 analog (which in most situations is still the best) then some yamaha digitals,  a old but nice peavy cex-4l which really opened my ears up to going digital the delay is a much needed feature, minidsb was tried it was ok. Now the Ashly Protea I was trying not to buy it because I know which dsp I want but it cost $1300 and was trying to hold off so the Protea will have to hold me over for awhile.

• Thank You 2

Posted (edited)

I just want to ask..., did all your wives buy this stuff for you for Christmas?  🤨

Or, is Santa real?  🎅

'fess up. 

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Haha 2

Stickers

Following that AJ post, I saw something the other day that a lot of us can probably identify with.

“ My only wish is that when I die, my wife doesn’t sell my stereo equipment for what I told her I paid for it”

• Thank You 3
  • Haha 2

Stickers

3 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

I just want to ask..., did all your wives buy this stuff for you for Christmas?  🤨

Or, is Santa real?  🎅

'fess up. 

What wife!  She was traded for my ALS’s!

• That Rocks 1
  • Haha 6

71LMa-ScP7L._SL1200_.jpg.2c5ad45d9d1db7a4da5d44246706c817.jpg

King Crimson : Live in Mexico City

51UgBi8jz9L._AC_US218_.jpg.6af6461130db2be3111b63e5d30c0673.jpg

71noZDp5KTL._SX425_grande.jpg.fd969c3163af81b76a135eb5377eb778.jpg1_width_1000_height_1000_rotateX_0_rotateY_-20_rotateZ_0-12_grande.png.3e249f98a9d782de1dbbb3d7a2f651c2.png

The latter three for my wife, Messrs. Beck & Frisell are her favorites; the last, something for dressing-up when we go out: Black jeans, black concert T's, Doc. Martens. |-| Jeez, we be old. 😎

• That Rocks 2