Forum Newbie - Carver equipment lover/owner/user

I've owned Carver amps since the 80's and collected a few used ones over the years. I'm still impressed with the performance and value for the dollar. 

I'm also a vintage JBL fixer-upper and somewhat of a collector. The combination of Carver and JBL has kept me listening for most of my life. I think they're a great combination.

I like to tinker fixing the old gear, having an electronics background. I've been doing it as a hobby and semi-professionally for over 40 years.... ( I'm revealing my age) :-)

I've never been part of a forum of any kind, so this is new to me. I thought it would be fun to communicate with some other Carver enthusiasts, and share some expertise.

As far as Carver equipment goes that I own, it's mostly amplifiers... I bought an M400t brand new back in about 1985 and a sonic hologram unit. since then, i've also bought used another M400, M1.5, and a PM700 for my theater room. I also own a Carver receiver that I don't know the model of... Funny.. anyway, I built a pretty cool listening room/theater in my basement a couple years ago and now totally enjoy listening to my old vinyl on my vintage setup. I really enjoy seeing pictures of some of your listening setups, and would like to post some pictures of mine sometime. Anyways, it would be great to hear from some of you sometime. Thanks for reading my post.

• Thank You 12

• Community Admin

Welcome @Thrush Audio .  Liking that avatar!  And the moniker "Thrush"

This is a great place to do all those things you mentioned.

A few more posts, and you'll be sharing pictures of your set-up, along side the OCCD-members' pictures here already.

WELCOME !

Welcome.jpg.729b9a03b7cfb5467087da3ed7d211b0.jpg

You are definitely going to find some kindred spirits, here, and I suspect you'll find many of us fall into the same age bracket, so no worries there.

There are lots of folks here who will be happy to share in electronics repairs, updates, etc. (I'll bow out of those for everyone's sake), but it will be a great place to trade ideas, compare information, and generally banter about it.

Hello Thrush Audio, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

Since you've acquired the needed permissions, pics of your gear go in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.d2caeed42cb7cdf6011b96919c2e7170.gif

• Thank You 1

WOW Thanks to all of you for the kind welcomes! It looks like I found a great place to hang out.... Dennis47 was asking what JBL's I have... Well, I still own a pair of L110's and a pair of 4301's I purchased new back in 1978.  Since then, I've added another pair of L110's, a pair of 4312 studio monitors, some L88's (I believe), a pair of L100's. another pair of 4301b's (in work) and a pair of L16's --- so nothing huge (Yet) ... I have a Thorens TD-125 to spin my vinyl,  with a Shure SME tomearm and Ortofon cartridge. All pretty vintage stuff from the 70's mostly. I have a same age Nikko pre-amp which drives my Carver 1.5t amp. So that's it in a nutshell. Nothing exotic, but it all works for me! I use a Monster speaker switch to allow me to enjoy four of my sets of speakers in one room. I'd really love to find a deal on a pair of something like some L300's or possibly some 4333's, 4343's or something bigger. to add to my collection.  I did find locally a pair of 4645C subwoofers in great shape that came out of a theater. I use one for a table, and the other in the back of my theater/listening room. That's what I use the PM700 for-- Just to drive it when watching movies....Well - That's it in a nutshell...Thanks to all for the welcome, and I'm looking forward to chatting with lots of you!

• Thank You 4

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to you guys.. I am just starting to look for threads/forums like this to seek help from experienced people like you, I am from the Philippines 48 y/o and still goes to work, life here is hard guys.  At home I have two C1's, m1.5t and a Sansui QRX-9001, I did not bought any one of these ( I cannot in this lifetime ), they are given by a very good friend who kept his nakamichi's and mcintosh and some other good units. I am keeping them for some 7 or 8 years now wrapped and cleaned from time to time. 

Reason I am communicating with you is that I learned that I can do a basic (not a full) BillD mod for a C1, am told by an Audiokarma guy ( he's so kind to guide me as a newbie ) that I can try this.  For now I cannot buy all the parts in the list because most electronic shops here cannot sell them in one transaction and budget is so TIGHT.  I still have two kids in college.

Can you help me with a list or a diagram where I can only replace all electrolytic caps and signal path resistors.  I am not a technician but through constant inquiries from my older brother and other tech persons I've learned how to use the simple tester, soldering iron, desoldering pump and started to fix basic problems with our tv's, radio, fans and pc.  Thanks to the people who made audio equipments that brought us here sharing and helping music lovers in all parts of the planet.   Thanks. 

• Thank You 6

Hello Bobby1970, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) That's a sweet stack of great gear you have there, and the price is unbeatable. There's a lot of great information here, and as you've already seen, a lot of great folks to help you get your gear in top shape. 

Once you get the permissions, would you post some pictures of your gear in the Members Systems area? We all like pictures of all kinds of audio gear.

Welcome aboard!

18 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Hello Bobby1970, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) That's a sweet stack of great gear you have there, and the price is unbeatable. There's a lot of great information here, and as you've already seen, a lot of great folks to help you get your gear in top shape. 

Once you get the permissions, would you post some pictures of your gear in the Members Systems area? We all like pictures of all kinds of audio gear.

Welcome aboard!

Thank you Sk1Bum, the dog looks intelligent, 1970 is a year of the dog..

thanks Blues Pwr, Brian, Sk1Bum & Charlie, I really am not familiar on how to do my replies and this is my first time in a thing like this, maybe because of my age.  But my love for music has led me here..:D

• That Rocks 1