Forum Newbie - Carver equipment lover/owner/user

4 hours ago, Bobby1970 said:

Thank you Sk1Bum, the dog looks intelligent, 1970 is a year of the dog..

She's smarter than her human.

Hi Brian_at_HHH, I talked to a Mouser Electronics representative yesterday (chat) to inquire about parts availability here, all parts are coming from the US.  I also wanted to know details on how to make payment with cash transactions. This is my first time doing things like this thanks to C1, traditionally we always go to a place in Manila (Philippines Capital city) to buy electronic parts but now if budget allows I can 1st time order through online, only that I forgot to ask the representative yesterday if I can order quantity I need and not a minimum per parts code.  Graduation fees will come for my son and enrollment expenses for my daughter. There are several electronics repair shops in our vicinity but I have a small knowledge on how to replace parts ( through reading and my older brother's help ) that is why I personally wanted to do modifications myself. Luckily I found this site through browsing from the internet (at first I was hesitant because I do not know how to say things). Another reason is that I am not comfortable leaving the Carver unit with them.  I feel these audio gears are so special that only I should handle them (the handles on the C1's side are so cute).  Tomorrow's a Sunday if my wife will not ask me to clean the house ? I will have time to clean the C1's and m1.5t and resolder contacts inside, there are some brown things I see around some solder spots, I don't know what are those but I will resolder anyway.  Wishing you a nice weekend Sir..thank you..

Thank you Packratt, Wishing you a nice weekend..

Thank you Packratt, have a nice weekend sir..

Hi @Bobby1970, as @Packratt noted, OCCD is Obsessive Compulsive Carver Disorder, or depending on sources Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder - in short a serious addiction to Carver equipment and related audio toys.  I have to admit, I'm a definite victim of it.  :D

It always seems a bit odd that so many of those components probably started life in the Philippines, or perhaps somewhere nearby, then sent to the U.S., and now all the way back.  Good luck with things, I know how much of a hassle it can be to buy things from the U.S. at times (I'm in Canada - close by, but there's still a border, between the two countries).  If you are in doubt about a component, ask here - the people will help you understand what you need, and why one instead of another.

Even if you don't get ALL the changes done at once, if you choose which ones to do carefully, I expect, as each set of changes are made, the results will get better and better.  The down side of doing a bit at a time, is in having to make any adjustments  after each set of changes.  I do need to stress that I'm not someone who should make any real recommendations about changing out electronic bits - I should be kept out of any devices and well away from a soldering iron.  If I were able to solder and desolder even a bit decently, I would probably acquire some Carver device and give it a try.  I can figure out a bit on the testing side to determine some problems, but actually fixing them is best left to those who won't cover the whole circuit board with a huge puddle of solder, and melt anything plastic in the process.

You, however, sound like you are able to manage the soldering just fine - the Carver equipment you have is very easy to get into and to change components.  It's almost like they were made to be updated and kept going for long into the future.  Just be a bit careful if you try to work on any of the early M400 cube amps.  They are an amazing example of engineering, in how to fit 6 cubic feet of components into 1 cubic foot of box.  Not a first time device to try and fix.    

Hopefully you can escape the housecleaning, or at least get it done quickly enough to have some time.  (For the record, I'm not that lucky - I'll be doing ours this weekend as well).  Take your time, get your brother to help if you need it, but working on the units you have is far easier than many stereo components of the era.  

In your case, take your time, and it will come together faster than you may expect.  There are people here, who can pretty much strip and rebuild a C1, blindfolded.  If you run into any sort of issues, post a request for help and I'm sure some of the very capable techs will pitch in to help.  They can guide you as to test points and what values should be, to track down what might be amiss.  That's the great thing about this group - they are incredibly willing to help.

I have always loved the look of most Carver gear.  There's something very technical looking about it, that just appeals to me.  Right now, the only Carver device I have is a C-9 Sonic Hologram unit, but one of the great techs, here, is completely rebuilding a C-1 and M1.0t that I picked up.  Once done, I will finally have the Stereo I always wanted in my youth.

Take care, good luck, and have fun with it.  

• Community Admin

Alternatively...

OCCD sometimes means "Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder"

…, has parallels with "hoarding."  ?

Edited by AndrewJohn

Welcome to the Carversite!  A lot of help threads and people here!  Stay a while , turn up the volume and enjoy the music!

(OCCD is strong with this one!)

Barry

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 2

Thank you BarryG and AndrewJohn, Brian my wife added extra task, she let me do the grilling for the lunch and helped me in the cleaning, my wife is so kind. Brian I hope somebody can help me identify the basic modification I can do with the C 1, idea is to replace all electrolytics and the resistors in the signal path.  I will not use the phono line for now but the Aux 1 & 2 (out) and input only, I'll keep in mind all your repair warnings to me. When I got interested in replacing parts I talked to at least 3 techs and combine their ideas and techniques, but before I do it I will take a look at the work I should be doing and I will ask myself "can I do this?" that's for about 3 nights spending an hour each. 

I have two C1's that I should be very careful on my first try to give the same attitude on the second one.  Hopefully after this I may also give the m1.5t a good regimen (again thanks to my friend for these equipment).

Bye for now, thanks again.. 

.. I would like to express my deepest apologies to the technicians who have read my previous writing about my eagerness to do the recapping myself, it's not that I don't trust them  (locally) but I really wanted  to experience the work and to learn some more, it really is so nice reaping the fruits of your labor especially for these beautifully manufactured pieces. I really love seeing repairmen on their tables with all the gadgets around them patiently and delicately working on every part on the PCB. Surely if anything gets complicated I always go to them..have a nice day everybody.