RichP714

Outer Rim digest

The Outer Rim is a cee-bang 'sound room' that exists to talk about uncommon sense, stranger things and other ξ = Ø stuff.

I threw a few topics out there last week; some of my favorite things

1. Speaker sensitivity: some like it hot, some like it cold, most don't know that if they like it hot, they are giving up about as much dynamic range as the dreaded 'loudness wars' compression schemes.
  2. How and why to detect extra dimenions
  3. A string theory refresher (remember when it was QED and QCD? now it's QFT)
  4. Some distortions, like transient inter-modulation distortion, just don't matter
  5. How can something that isn't revolving have a spin?
  6. Graham's number is up there
  7. Every cable/interconnect manufacturer in the world is lying
  8. Why most impact craters are perfectly circular

If you are interested in uncommon knowledge, please join the club; we'd love to hear from you

The Outer Rim is a cee-bang 'sound room' that exists to talk about uncommon sense, stranger things and other ξ = Ø stuff.

I threw a few topics out there last week; some of my favorite things

1. Sound waves from the beginning of time:  I'm waiting for the cable industry to start claiming that they can eliminate CMB distortion from audio
  2. A groovy way to think of the fourier series
  3. Looking back at a first principle, and trying to understand how the space in space-time is non-euclidian
  4. A clever way to think about higher spatial dimensions
  5. Loudspeaker designers might have an interest in steradians; a neat way to explain 4π space
  6. Why zeropoint energy, vacuum fluctuations, virtual particles have diplomatic immunity

If you are interested in uncommon knowledge, please join the club; we'd love to hear from you