I Want to jump in the Rabbit Hole NOW Called DVD-A

CT-Seven

My new to me Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player has been wonderful to use for CD's lately but the more I read into it said that it touts itself as a universal player as it plays HDCD, Dvd-A and I have read in many forums that it will do 2-Channel only SACD. I want to find a 2 channel SACD to hear whats up, is there anything specific I should search for when looking for this 2 channel SACD as opposed to the multi track or hybrid SACD

EDIT... I cannot seem to find the aformentioned 2 channel SACD option so... its back to block 1 this now became the DVD-A rabbit hole

Edited by CT-Seven
Wrong Disc Format
  • Thank You 2

I find most listings of SACDs confusing.  I'm not sure if the terms are not standardized or I just haven't caught on to the naming convention. I'm always looking for 5.1 SACDs so I look to see that it says "multi-channel".  On the other hand "hybrid" I think means that the SACD also contains a 16bit/44k layer that can be played on a standard CD player.  Sometimes the web pages will let you filter results by multi channel or stereo. Maybe someone else can chime in if they've figured it out. 

Hybrid means it has a layer that's playable on a standard CD player. I can't speak for the Toshiba, but my oppo 105 will play all SACD formats. I have it set to downmix multi-channel to stereo. There are settings for Multi-Channel, Stereo, and CD-Mode.

I looked through the owner's manual for the Toshiba SD-9200, and there's no mention of SACD anywhere. My best guess is that it will play the CD layer on a hybrid disc. 

Of course, I could be wrong. $1 to Dennis MIller (no, the other Dennis Miller :D

Edited by Sk1Bum

• Community Admin

From the Wikipedia article on SACD:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

SACD is a disc of identical physical dimensions as a standard compact disc; the density of the disc is the same as a DVD. There are three types of disc:

• Hybrid: Hybrid SACDs are encoded with a 4.7 GB DSD layer (also known as the HD layer, as well as a PCM (Red Book) audio layer readable by most conventional Compact Disc players.
  • Single-layer: A DVD-5 encoded with one 4.7 GB DSD layer.
  • Dual-layer: A DVD-9 encoded with two DSD layers, totaling 8.5 GB, and no PCM layer. Dual-layer SACDs can store nearly twice as much data as a single-layer SACD.
  • Unlike hybrid discs, both single- and dual-layer SACD's are incompatible with conventional CD players and cannot be played on them.
There's a lot more in that article, including tables of performance and compression, and such.
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

I looked through the owner's manual for the Toshiba SD-9200, and there's no mention of SACD anywhere. My best guess is that it will play the CD layer on a hybrid disc. 

Im fearing you have a valid point I have been searching again for the thread where I read it and NADA

SO... time to update the thread title ?

Toshiba had a competing video format to BluRay, called HD-DVD. The SD9200 should play the HD-DVD discs, which have 5.1 Audio. 

I have a Pioneer DV593S, which could play SACDs and DVD-A discs, which was released around the same time period as the SD9200. 

• Thank You 1