Carver Fanatic New to the Forum

Welcome 69Chevelle, am also new here, I'll keep reading your posts as I also have the same gear but don't have the time and budget yet to do the  mods, its great being here..

10 hours ago, Turbo said:

Welcome aboard @69Chevelle!!!

I bought my C-1 & M-1.5t some 15 years ago, rebuilt the M-1.5t last year and did the BillD to my C-1 shortly after the M-1.5t repair.  Has been an eargasmic adventure ever since ?.  I posted my repair in the amplifier, amplifier repair, M-1.5t repair as seen below:

You won't regret the M-1.5t rebuild.  It sounds fantastic now.  Was very grainy and harsh before it died.  But is silky smooth and fabulous now.  That BillD C-1 will blow your mind too.

Turbo

Hi Turbo, I would like to do the same with the M-1.5t I have, how can I see the thread you posted when you're doing it? Thanks..

• Community Admin

Welcome!  You are on your way to full-infected OCCD.

Say, one suggestion..., start a new thread on your project in the Amp or other section of the site.  That way, your project, and pics, and all the words of advice and wisdom, will be easily found by others.  The welcome thread is still really valuable, too - just thinking of your project going forward.

Welcome!  Love the m1.5 too.

1 hour ago, Bobby1970 said:

Hi Turbo, how can I see the thread you posted when you're doing it? Thanks..

Click the link right where I circled below:

830720141_MyM-1.5tRepair.jpg.ad0989c7f1187849c2878c1947364bf1.jpg

Click the link on my response and it will take you there.

Turbo

• Thank You 1

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:25 PM, Turbo said:

Have you checked C1? (The big brown ceramic caps circled in the pic below) Those are notorious for cold solder joints and you may find it clears up by tapping on them.  If so a reflow of solder is in order.   I didn't have any problem with C1 on mine, but others here have reported problems in theirs.  So I went ahead and reflowed the solder on C1 for mine below just to be safe.

image.thumb.jpeg.9fa4b064d83a002902dc2416adc4a4b6.jpeg

I also re-flowed all of the solder on both amp cards on both sides as circled below.  That is likely your intermittent channel problem.

image.jpeg.618493055a6cbf0016969f8f141a5482.jpeg

Regards,

Turbo

Turbo, Jeffs you guys are on point,  I took some time last night and took the lid off the amp and gave things a look, went ahead and reflowed the both C1 and bingo   the intermittent channel came back to life and both seem to be working great now.  This was just on the bench, so now next step is to hook it all up and give it a listen.  I haven't listened to this gear in 8-10 years so needless to say I am excited to have it working again. Step 1 was to get it operational and now I can start the mod program on both units. Thanks again for your help, loving it here already   

Edited by 69Chevelle
typo
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

1 minute ago, 69Chevelle said:

the intermittent channel came back to life and both seem to be working great now.

Excellent!

Consider changing out the elecrolytics, you wont regret it.

In my experience the dual caps almost always have issues given their age, the large caps are next, followed by the smaller ones as outlined by @Turbo

The duals are a challenge to remove and require patience.  Sounds like you have the tools and skills ... but take your time with these. Working inside a 1.5 involves many obstacles, but still fun.

25 minutes ago, 69Chevelle said:

Turbo, Jeffs you guys are on point,  I took some time last night and took the lid off the amp and gave things a look, went ahead and reflowed the both C1 and bingo   the intermittent channel came back to life and both seem to be working great now.  This was just on the bench, so now next step is to hook it all up and give it a listen.  I haven't listened to this gear in 8-10 years so needless to say I am excited to have it working again. Step 1 was to get it operational and now I can start the mod program on both units. Thanks again for your help, loving it hear already   

@69Chevelle,

Congratulations!  I can't wait to read about your mod progress in the amp repair and C-1 mod sections.  Please start threads there to document your adventure for all to enjoy!  You won't regret that BillD mod to your C-1, it is stunning.

There are many great folks here to assist you if you have any problems or questions.

Regards,

Turbo