Special Offer on the LP1 tube preamplifier for Carver site members

iamjohngalt

The Ten Octave Audio Model LP1 tube preamplifiers are now in production.

http://www.tenoctaveaudio.com/images/10OA-LP1-faceplate.jpg

This is the production version of the preamp that was previewed at the Carver Fest 2018.

Each unit is currently hand-built when we receive an order, although we are planning to have several in inventory
for immediate shipment as time allows. 

The normal price on these units offered wholesale to retailers will be $xxx. We expect the retail pricing to be about $1,099.

We are offering a special price for one unit each to current (as of March 3, 2019) Carver site members (until the end of March 2019.)

That special price is no longer available  .

This price includes a custom made double wall shipping box with dense foam inserts to prevent any damage in shipping and it should be reusable.

Technical features of the LP1 Line stage tube preamp:

• double thickness printed circuit board to prevent flex or damage from repeated tube insertions for those who love to roll tubes!
  • double thickness copper traces on pcb
  • 4" height allows buyer to use 12AX7 tubes with adapter if desired
  • uses ultra low noise, minimum 5000 hour life 6N2-EV mil spec tubes that have much lower microphonic levels and lower floor noise than even the best 12AX7s available
  • Cardas audio grade silver solder used for the entire build
  • Tube rectified power supply
  • high quality sealed ALPS potentiometer volume control
  • heavy (16) gauge powder coated steel case on all sides
  • audio grade capacitors... MKP, Panasonic and Wima used in the audio path
  • carbon comp resistors selected to optimize audio quality and used in specific locations where carbon comps produce a higher quality sound in tube applications. Allen Bradleys are used in most cases.
  • ground plane grid for lower floor noise
  • Regulated and fully adjustable DC power used for all audio tube filament voltages. This is rarely found even in the most expensive units
  • relay switched inputs
  • RCA shorting plugs included for unused inputs
  • heavy duty heat sink on filament voltage regulation transistor
  • custom wound power transformer
  • gold plated RCA jacks
  • thick custom anodized aluminum faceplate

We think it sounds great, too.

Feedback about the early units produced:

• “freaking awesome”
  • “first impression is wow!”
  • “I am BLOWN away with the 275/10 Octave combination. It’s as good as anything I’ve ever heard.”
  • “Sounds better than my Sunfire.”
  • "This is an amazing preamp. I think I've finally got a system together that I'm really happy with. It pairs perfectly with the 275."
  • member buyer in Illinois, "Sounds great.. Have the factory 12AX7s in the 350s and its very nice. Enjoying the hell out of it!"
  • member buyer in Arizona, "I installed it in a test system and it sounds great."
  • "it’s a superbly made, well crafted instrument!"
  • Trav0810's review: 

To order please send iamjohngalt a private message and include your email and
cell/text contact so we can make arrangements for payment, manufacture,
and shipment.

Bill (fxbill) and David (iamjohngalt)

Ten Octave Audio

http://www.tenoctaveaudio.com/images/10OA-LP1-front1.jpg

http://www.tenoctaveaudio.com/images/10OA-LP1-interior4front.jpg

http://www.tenoctaveaudio.com/images/10OA-LP1-interior5back.jpg

http://www.tenoctaveaudio.com/images/10OA-LP1-pcb1.jpg

http://www.tenoctaveaudio.com/images/10OA-LP1-relay-inputs1.jpg

http://www.tenoctaveaudio.com/images/10OA-LP1-interior3-sel-pot.jpg

http://www.tenoctaveaudio.com/images/10OA-LP1-interior2.jpg

http://www.tenoctaveaudio.com/images/10OA-LP1-power-button1.jpg

Edited by iamjohngalt
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 9

I would love to get one of these, but it will be several weeks before I can budget the funds. Will "members only" pricing be available after the end of March?

Thank you for this offer. It's much appreciated even if I don't get a chance to take you up on it!

12 hours ago, Dennis47 said:

@iamjohngalt

Great price for members...thanks for the special consideration.~^

What is the size of the faceplate?

I see there are three OTK 6N2-EV tubes. What is the size and brand of the fourth (smaller) tube?

The tubes included are as follows:

Up front near the controls are 2x 6N2's, behind them near the input/output jacks is one 6N1, and near the power supply is a smaller 6Z4 rectifier tube.

The faceplate dimensions are 17 3/4" wide x 4 1/2" tall x 1/4" thick. (Chassis is 17" wide x 4" tall x 12" deep.)

1 hour ago, oldtexasdog said:

Would you use one of the Aux inputs for a phono pre?

Yes, that is correct.  

• Thank You 1

28 minutes ago, wrf said:

I'm in.  PM sent.

Thanks for offering these.  

Have you considered a black face plate?

Hi, Wayne, we did look at offering a black face plate.  Our fabricator doesn't do that in house and it was extra cost so we decided to stick with the natural anodized. 

39 minutes ago, iamjohngalt said:

For you tube rollers, these adapters can be inserted to use 12AX7's instead of 6N2's in the LP1 preamplifier.

(Adapters are available on Ebay.)

6N2-to-12AX7-adapters-sml.jpg

I use a set of these adaptors in my 2011 Carverfest tube amp in order to use 12AX7

in lieu of 6AX7/6N2 tubes without rewiring the pin sockets.

They work great!

1 minute ago, Dennis47 said:

I use a set of these adaptors in my 2011 Carverfest tube amp in order to use 12AX7

in lieu of 6AX7/6N2 tubes without rewiring the pin sockets.

They work great! 

I just started a thread about these adapters and their use that includes some info about the 6N1 and 6N2 tubes and rolling tubes in the preamp.

• Thank You 1

Nice job guys !! Looks to be well built and if Travis is enjoying it so much it makes me curious.

Any measurements / specs you can share ?

Is a schematic available with purchase ?

Is it a "real" power switch or is the unit on all the time ?

On 3/5/2019 at 7:41 AM, B-Man said:

Nice job guys !! Looks to be well built and if Travis is enjoying it so much it makes me curious.

Any measurements / specs you can share ?

Is a schematic available with purchase ?

Is it a "real" power switch or is the unit on all the time ?

Hi, B-Man, 

Frequency response 15Hz-20,000 Hz +- 0.6 db 

Schematic is being updated for publication with a users manual.

Power switch controls power to the transformer, so off is off.

Edited by iamjohngalt
  • Thank You 2

I would also like to be in on this and have sent a pm.  Planning on using it with my 350s.  heard the praise on the 275s running it so it should be similar.  I  was thinking of getting a C1 and having it upgraded but this looks like the way to go.  Thnks so much for offering this.

Mark

On 3/18/2019 at 7:41 AM, drmarka said:

I would also like to be in on this and have sent a pm.  Planning on using it with my 350s.  heard the praise on the 275s running it so it should be similar.  I  was thinking of getting a C1 and having it upgraded but this looks like the way to go.  Thnks so much for offering this.

Mark

The C-1 is excellent, has lots of features, I have a c-1 as backup.  I find I never use SH as I have Polk SDA’s and almost never have used tone controls.  The ten Octave unit is Bare bones, which is why I like it.  You need to consider if you run vinyl a phono stage will be needed.  I am enjoying my Ten Octave very well,  it’s a superbly made, well crafted instrument!

barry

• Thank You 2

Ordered and I look forward to getting it in 2-3 weeks and will give you a review of  how I like it w/ the 350s in 4-6 weeks if anyone is interested.  I'm not going to use the 12s and adapter, will use it stock with Olivia and Sheena (the 350s) and see how they like it. 

20 hours ago, kve777 said:

I pulled the trigger. If Barry likes it, it must be good. I have 12AX7 adapters ordered, too. 

I do like it,  after I received it, i shot a lot of photos under the hood, I sent them to your email!

On 3/23/2019 at 6:51 PM, kve777 said:

I pulled the trigger. If Barry likes it, it must be good. I have 12AX7 adapters ordered, too. 

I think you'll find that the silver anode 6N2's are going to sound as good or better than any 12AX7 you can sub in it, but I'll be very interested in hearing what your experiences are! They have a lower floor noise and lower microphonics of most 12AX7's and are rated at up to 10K hrs of use. The bottom end is also supposed to be better as well.

The single 6N1 can be directly subbed with a 6DJ8. We tried several brands including Bugle Boys and the 6N1 sounded better...( to us anyway).

Interesting thread here......   https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/65548-6922-vs-6n1p-bass-response.html

Edited by fxbill
  • Thank You 3

I also have a rebuilt Exposure VI and VII that I use only as a phono pre amp, that I will be using into one the auxs.  Will also let you know how it sounds with my Thorens 160 super

audio 041.JPG

• Love this! 1

Sweet offer indeed   not a chance un hell here but no doubt some will nab some up!

Not enough exp here with tubes to comment anyhow with any degree of authority. (rarely ever had a chance to deal with such since I was a kid and that was looong ago)

That said q,,, what model of Alps r u using?  looks like i need to build anuber basic preamp aka volume only here for a friend with budget of near zero (higher than mine still! lol)..  figure might as well inquire as it might be a viable idea.

Edited by Shalimar

The Alps pot you're looking for is the 27mm Size Metal Shaft Type RK271 Series ALPS and is available in many resistance values. We have used both the 20K and 100K and had excellent results with either. Do not order the stepped fixed resistor ladder type that you can get on eBay for about $6. The steps were too wide apart for our purposes and it was not always possible to get the exact volume that we wanted with it. One step might be too low and the next step would jump to being too high. It might work just fine for your use though. The ones we use cost about $10-$15 on eBay and there are only a few sellers in the US who stock them. Most sellers have the cheaper stepped units. They look very much alike, but the stepped units usually have a fixed loudness tap on them giving them 4 terminals for each section. They're still quality pots, but lack the flexibility of the infinitely variable Alps which only has the normal 3 terminals per section. There are also fake ones out there that are not truly made in Japan. Check feedback on whoever you purchase one from! We order ours directly from the manufacturer to ensure that we have the real deal. We do have some stepped units here that we originally purchased since I normally like fixed resistor "ladder" typed volume controls. We can sell you one at cost if you think you'd like to try one. It might be fine for your purposes.

Edited by fxbill

Because of the delays we experienced with some parts and shipping boxes our initial sales got off to a rather late start...half way through the 1 month sale originally planned. I have convinced JG to extend the sale for another 2 weeks....until the 15th of April to make up for the 2 weeks of lost time at the beginning of the sale. Either JG or I can be contacted for more information. Thank you for the support we have so far received!

FXB

More rave reviews:
member in Illinois, "Sounds great.. Have the factory 12AX7s in the 350s and its very nice. Enjoying the hell out of it!"
member in Arizona, "I installed it in a test system and it sounds great."

Thanks to everyone for all your kind words.  If anyone has questions post them here or if you prefer send me a private message.

David

Edited by iamjohngalt

Kevin’s review is spot on!

I am blown away every day with the lp-1 and cf275 combo.  I am also using an ELAC PPA-2 phono stage with my Technics mc310 cartridge on my  sl-7 turntable.  

Closing in on audio nirvana!

barry