randog311

Crawfish Boil...

Crawfish Boil in Galveston today at a neighbor's house across the Street...

Photo shows my house in the background...

20190406_165524.jpg

Live Crawfish ready to take a nice hot bath...

20190406_151231.jpg

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 2

It’s difficult for me to look at Randog’s photos and refrain from any commentary. It’s also difficult to explain to those who have never eaten them just how good Crawfish are. Yeah, they live in the mud and I can’t tell you what all they ate themselves to develop that sweet tasting meat but don’t knock em’ until you’ve tried em’.

I’m a transplanted Yankee who was introduced to Crawfish in the mid 80’s when I was living in DC. I was running some test markets with several beer distributors and New Orleans was among those markets. One of the distributors took me to lunch and vowed to teach me how to eat Crawfish. (Yes, there is a technique) When I returned to Washington I tried to explain just how tasty these little “mud bugs” were. My efforts were in vain - no one believed me. Well, I’m here to tell you - it just plain doesn’t get much better.

Once one knows how to eat them, you can eat them as fast as you can pick them up. And just how popular are these little creatures in Southeast Louisiana? We figure 5-10 lbs per person when preparing for a crawfish boil in this neck of the woods.

• Thank You 5

Stickers

OK, this is much easier to “show” than to explain but the real secret is learning which section of the tail to remove so the meat just pops out when the separated tail is squeezed. I looked at a couple of YouTube videos and this one is close to explaining that - take note of what is referenced in terms of peeling the second ring of the tail. (No, I don’t suck the heads)

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

Posted (edited)

I am from Maryland, I was married to a delta woman for many years,  your so correct, those beasts are delicious!  I miss NOLA!

your bringing 50lbs to CF19 right! Lol

Edited by BarryG
  • Haha 3

We use to catch them off the bridge when fishing for salmon on the Harrison river in B.C.

Had a home made trap that folded up when you lift it and would relax flat when deployed on the river bottom.

A cat food tin with puncture holes wired to the center.

When you were done fishing youd retrieve the trap and there were always 10 -20 per trap.

Always set 4 or 5 traps.

Ive only seen them in B.C. I dont think they live here in Alberta.

• Thank You 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, danowood said:

So Rocky,  explain the technique :)

I am fairly new to eating these little bugs.

One of the other guests showed me the best way I've seen to date...

With one hand hold the body firmly,  other the Tail. 

"PUSH" together until you feel the Tail Collapse into the body, give a "Twist & Pull" apart, discard  the Body (unless you're into Sucking the Head), peel away the first one or two outer layers,  "Pinch the Tail" to squeeze out the "Tasty Meat" & ENJOY...

Edited by randog311
Correction

46 minutes ago, danowood said:

Are some not in the eatable category?

All of them, in my opinion!  :P:D

That said, knock yourselves out, guys - enjoy, and you're welcome to my share.

• Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

All of them, in my opinion!  :P:D

That said, knock yourselves out, guys - enjoy, and you're welcome to my share.

Don't knock them until you've tried them,  perhaps throw back a few beers first🍻🍺

Then you could be like saying...

"Hold my Beer and watch this"🤢🤠

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, randog311 said:

"Hold my Beer and watch this"

That part may be possible, and likely quite amusing - at least to those watching, but it would take much more than (quite) a few beers, and probably more than the rum, with gin as the mix, that I tried in University, once to get me to willingly eat them.   :D

I may love food, but I just can't do seafood, at all.  And yes, I have tried, a number of times, all of which just means there's more for the rest of you.  You wouldn't know I basically grew up on the East Coast.  For me, anything that spent a significant part of its life cycle in an aquatic environment, isn't food.  

That said, I can't imagine a more friendly type gathering for a neighbourhood, than something like this.  Fantastic way to bring everyone together and get to know one another. 

• Love this! 3

5 hours ago, PDR said:

Ive only seen them in B.C. I dont think they live here in Alberta.

I've seen them locally, but they don't get very big.

2 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

That part may be possible, and likely quite amusing - at least to those watching, but it would take much more than (quite) a few beers, and probably more than the rum, with gin as the mix, that I tried in University, once to get me to willingly eat them.   :D

I may love food, but I just can't do seafood, at all.  And yes, I have tried, a number of times, all of which just means there's more for the rest of you.  You wouldn't know I basically grew up on the East Coast.  For me, anything that spent a significant part of its life cycle in an aquatic environment, isn't food.  

That said, I can't imagine a more friendly type gathering for a neighbourhood, than something like this.  Fantastic way to bring everyone together and get to know one another. 

Ditto! I grew up on the coast with fresh seafood literally a 5 minute walk away and the only seafood I enjoy is Calamari!

• Love this! 1

1 hour ago, danowood said:

Don't seem like the mud vein is removed or the poop track.  

Probably flavoring.....

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Damn, the next thing we’re going to hear is that AOC might ban Crawfish because of methane discharge. Not to worry Gentlemen - when preparing to boil Crawfish, those Crafty Cajuns purge them. How so you might ask? They get soaked in a big pot of water and a whole container of salt is added to the pot. Those little critters then clear their poop chutes and are ready for the boiling pot. No more shit - just good eating when they are done.

Edited by Rockster2U
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

Photo of what the "Meat" from Crawfish Tails looks like. 

To me and many others,  Crawfish is very similar in taste to Lobster. 

The gathering I attended Saturday offered "Drawn Butter" along with small plastic cups for dipping as well as Crawfish Spice to add as you desire which was something that I had not experienced before 3 times in Colorado, the party at the same location last year or Very large commercial Crawfish Cook-Off last April Shooting for Guinness World Record in La Marque Texas. 

Sure wish I'd been shown the Technique I described previously which made for much less work and more Tasty gorging. 

20190408_081616.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Love me some crawfish and it's that time of year for it, too.  We boiled 60 pounds of them Saturday afternoon even with all the storms and rain going on in central AR.  My wife isn't a huge fan of them and kept asking about poop chutes and I tried to convince her they were purged and showed her the container they were in when being done.  She did some herself...others I had to do for her.  It was complete with potatoes, corn on cob, sausage, celery, and spices.  And beer of course.

• Love this! 5