Nahash5150

CS! Server Outage

Hello,

First of all, I'd like to apologize for the extended outage. The server hosting company (A2 Hosting) was viciously attacked by Malware viruses and caused a massive Windows Server shutdown. We were one among many servers that had to be shut down then rebuilt after the attacking programs were cleared.

After our server was recovered, we ran into DNS issues this week, but now I think we've got them cleared up as well.

Some of you were patient, some were not. All I can say is, these things happen from time to time and there isn't anything we can do but clean up afterwards.

If you have any questions, please contact me. I'll be sending out a mass email to inform all the members of the situation.

Special thanks to Rod and Dennis for taking the brunt of questions and criticisms. I'm very sorry about all this. Truly.

Regards,

Greg

• Thank You 19
  • Love this! 2

Stickers

I want to offer a HUGE Thank-You to @Nahash5150 for what I know was nothing short of a Heroic effort to get things back and running!

I had been watching the DNS activities amongst other areas, and had enough of an idea what was happening.  Everyone should be truly impressed that things are back so soon, and so well.  

Incredible job, Greg, and all who were involved.   Thank you!!!

(I'm still holding @DrummerJuice at fault for his attempt to "take over the world" having caused a cosmic divide by zero to break the site).

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

(I'm still holding @DrummerJuice at fault for his attempt to "take over the world" having caused a cosmic divide by zero to break the site).

I have to be honest (always the best policy) and actually thought my being a brat and trying to be the most recent post in all in the first page had something to do with the crash. Sure hope it didn't. I was sweating bullets. 

A great big thanks to all who were working feverishly to get the site back up! Especially Nahash!

• Thank You 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So glad you finally beat some sense into that server company..    (whoops....just saw the real issue....my bad. I thought it was the server company's fault). Sure is nice to have a "home" again.... Great job Greg! Can't understand why anyone would be terribly impatient when you have no control over a problem, but I'm certainly happy to see the site up again and I know it must have been a huge struggle to get things set straight. My admiration to you and all involved with getting everything up and running again!

Edited by fxbill
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Nice work Greg - thank you for all your work and dedication. 

To the a-holes that bitched and moaned, get a grip.  It’s a web site, not your life. Personally, the down time made me appreciate what we have here that much more. 

Oh, and I guess this is the end of the recent activity at the “other” site🙃

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 4

Nahash, I am very appreciative for all you do to keep us up and running. it is greatly appreciated. As for the complainers, it reminds me of a couple weeks ago on the day Ben & Jerry's gives away free ice cream cones.  I was going into the medical supply store next door and heard a large group of teenagers complaining that the line wasn't moving fast enough.  I guess even free ice cream isn't enough to make some folks happy.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 3

Stickers

41 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

Personally, the down time made me appreciate what we have here that much more. 

+1!

Thanks to all who fought through the issues to get the site back up!

Yea, I went through some withdrawals, and peered into the 'other site' for relief. 

And thanks to Jim for fixing my login on JCS.

Again, just want to say THANKS! What you guys do on this site is greatly appreciated.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 4

1 hour ago, Daddyjt said:

Personally, the down time made me appreciate what we have here that much more. 

+1

If I need to review a schematic, I usually just go to this site and load it live.  A few weeks back, I downloaded the ones I use most frequently.  Glad I did that. Kept me going on a few projects but sure is good to be back live.  Great work Greg!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 4

Truly a great job. Stood up as a leader. 

It's great CS is back. The vault of technical knowledge collected, discussed and shared in this site is priceless.

Keep it up Nahash ( I haven't done any mods on my Carver gears yet and got worried that CS is gone forever..LOL )..

While CS is down I kept reading on the Nelion Audio chatbox and Jim Clark's site to check news on CS aside from clicking my browser's shortcut from time to time 😊, and learned that Jim's partner is from the Philippines..

Thanks, nice to read from you guys again..

sigh-of-relief-cliparts-9.jpg.e4b3e390d7364290f2b552a511a0effd.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

1 hour ago, compwaco said:

As for the complainers, it reminds me of a couple weeks ago on the day Ben & Jerry's gives away free ice cream cones.  I was going into the medical supply store next door and heard a large group of teenagers complaining that the line wasn't moving fast enough.  I guess even free ice cream isn't enough to make some folks happy.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 3

Let me add another voice to the chorus - Thank You Greg!

I think Daddyjt summarized it best - “the downtime made me appreciate what we have here that much more.” 

I’m not sure that I ever got past the initial withdrawal - Damn, I missed this place and all of you mutts.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

You dont know what you got till its gone....I didnt like the parking lot.

Thanks for everything you guys do.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, Daddyjt said:

Oh, and I guess this is the end of the recent activity at the “other” site🙃

There's another site???😮🤣

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 3

Maybe the first time I have ever went through a "site withdrawal."  Felt like a little kid running home from school with a straight A report card; running into the house to show his parents and the house is bare and the parents gone.  Terrible feeling.  Thanks Greg and all for their hard work.  Yep never miss something until you don't have it any more.  Except for my 4 wives of course.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 2

Well, one of the things I'm going to do, which I've been meaning to do, is back up the member emails so I can send bulk notifications when the server is down.

Also, you are all welcome to register at my business site, Nelion Audio, where there is live chat and a forum if you ever want to stay in touch if the site goes dark for some reason.

Anyway, I have plans to create contingencies for the next time...

This really got me by surprise. Never been through anything quite like it. It was BAD.

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 3

Stickers