Daddyjt

So THIS happened while the site was down!

This weekend is the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad at Promontory Point in northern Utah, commonly referred to as the “golden spike” event. To commemorate, there is a week long celebration in Ogden UT (about 10 miles north of me).  This celebration kicked off Wednesday, with a very special arrival - Bigboy 4014.  4014 is the only operational Bigboy steam locomotive in existence. It lives in Cheyenne WY, and steamed over to Ogden for the festivities.   

I decided to sneak out of work for a couple hours, and post-up along the route to snap a few photos of this rare event. The crowds that this drew all along the 30 or so miles of the route I drove looking for a good spot for photos were nuts. Every bridge, overpass, pull-out and off ramp were jammed with people. Police had to close the right lane of the freeway near the ramps, as cars were parked nose to tail. I ended up finding a semi-hidden mud road that I followed for about 5 miles, then got out of my truck and hiked 2 more miles to find a great spot without freeway or houses in the backdrop, and no people.

The sound of this thing was unlike anything I have ever heard (felt) before - true reference level bass!  It probably helped that I was only about 10’ from the tracks...  here are a few shots from the passing, along with a link to the article about the event:

https://kutv.com/news/local/big-boy-locomotive-arrives-in-utah-for-150th-anniversary-of-transcontinental-railroad

FBBD58AC-B345-4890-A242-43DCB796F979.thumb.jpeg.f1c886aa1b5661c367d1b6448170c2f8.jpeg

5FCB39FA-BAC5-4A26-9EF5-FA5568036EA7.thumb.jpeg.708458fecc9df2201e891c640a436709.jpeg

924BC258-0BE6-40D2-90AC-EF2F82960055.thumb.jpeg.1620f7cf98ae0c17eb5868a1efdb2b71.jpeg

5FCB433B-F91B-4E21-BE35-025EBD2BACB8.thumb.jpeg.850a1dffff50fd865a21c1a885557fd3.jpeg

16BAFD76-3D69-4ED6-BFE5-3E8EF9779324.thumb.jpeg.9937fde99c0cf2d7f293968085bffcee.jpeg

8ED2740A-F24C-4C59-95EC-0C25DAF9EF3A.thumb.jpeg.73134a0f1b764b4b4da142693e130c52.jpeg

• Thank You 9
  • That Rocks 11
  • Love this! 4

Posted (edited)

Steam engine's power + Carver power = Vintage appreciation..

I haven't seen one in actual specially here in the country I'm from, we only have the asian made trains and an old one on the tracks but is more different from these ones, thank you Djt for the pictures you shared..

I really love the GREENS on the background

Edited by Bobby1970
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Blues Pwr said:

Thanks for the pictures, you got some amazing background scenery.

Impressive machine, how long is that engine..........

Thanks for the kind words all!

The locomotive (with tender) is 133’ long, 16’ high, and weighs an astounding 1,250,000 pounds. Here’s a brief excerpt from Wiki -

The 25 Big Boy locomotives were built to haul freight over the Wasatch mountains between Ogden, Utah, and Green River, Wyoming. In the late 1940s, they were reassigned to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where they hauled freight over Sherman Hill to Laramie, Wyoming. They were the only locomotives to use a 4-8-8-4 wheel arrangement: four-wheel leading truck for stability entering curves, two sets of eight driving wheels and a four-wheel trailing truck to support the large firebox.

According to a Union Pacific executive, the class series originally was to have been called the "Wasatch". One day, however, while one of the engines was being built, an unknown worker scrawled "Big Boy" in chalk on its front. With that, the legendary name was born and has stuck ever since.[2]

Eight Big Boys are preserved today, most on static display at museums across the country. One locomotive, No. 4014, was re-acquired by the Union Pacific in 2013 to be restored to operating condition. The locomotive's restoration was completed in May 2019, and it has returned to service as the largest and most powerful operational steam locomotive in the world

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 2

Man I love those old steam locomotives.  My uncle (who worked for Union Pacific I believe) would take me an my two cousins down to the train station to watch them get ready and go.  We would get ice cream cones and watch those old babies get a load of steam and haul.  A true highlight in my life.  This was in Sheridan, Wy. were I was born.  Mark I'm really glad you posted this; it brings back great memories.  Fantastic.

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 2

When I was in grade school we took a field trip on a steamer from Detroit to Niagra falls. Pretty cool. The thing I remember the most is flushing the toilet & seeing the railroad ties flying by!! I did not walk the tracks as much after that! Heh..Heh.

My grand dad worked on the Wabash line.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 2

Well done Mark!

I love the black and white photo you posted.  I appreciate your effort to get the great shot and to separate yourself from the lemmings.

Years ago I worked on a Travel Channel show called "Tricked Out Trains"  I took a lot of train rides around the country on private rail cars.  The owners of these cars called the train fans "foamers" (meaning they foamed at the mouth when they saw trains that they liked).

-PhilDent

• That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 1

I remember that show. I've been a foamer since the 'Wild wild West' Tv show. My dream of all dreams would be a private rail car.

Those custom built Pullmans take some serious coin to own.

• Thank You 3

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Bradrock said:

I remember that show. I've been a foamer since the 'Wild wild West' Tv show. My dream of all dreams would be a private rail car.

Those custom built Pullmans take some serious coin to own. 

Interesting that you should say that.  One quote that stuck with me from an owner of one of these private rail cars was this:  "Buying a private rail car makes the purchase of a yacht look like a financially sound and wise decision".  Truly, they are absolute money pits.

Edited by PhilDent
  • Thank You 2
  • Haha 1

Incredible pictures, Mark - you could not have staged them better.  Good for you getting out, and checking out the event.

Yes, that beast probably felt like nothing else in the train world, because it is like nothing else. It's great to see they have one of those behemoths back in operation, again.  I can't imagine how many moving parts there must be on that thing - all of which need copious amounts of grease, oil or other lubricants - constantly.

• Thank You 2

That's a PTC tower next to the signal bungalow. Bet it doesn't have PTC in the cab.

It's pulling a modern loco. Just in case....

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, KPT said:

That's like when you see a monster RV towing a smarcar for local runarounds, right?   :D

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, KPT said:

That's a PTC tower next to the signal bungalow. Bet it doesn't have PTC in the cab.

From what I read, the diesel locomotive is for dynamic braking coming out of the passes...:-)

• Thank You 1

Thanks for sharing your wonderful pics Mark. Zack and I are very jealous as we've never seen a Big Boy in person. Closest we've come is the N & W 2050 at the Illinois Rail Museum. (2050 is a 2-8-8-2 measuring 113' OAL; 4014 is a 4-8-8-4 that measures 132' OAL.)

Here's some video of Big Boy 4014 on her first trial run after receiving a frame up rebuild. For a view that shows just how "big" she is forward to 8:10.

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

On 5/12/2019 at 8:55 PM, Daddyjt said:

From what I read, the diesel locomotive is for dynamic braking coming out of the passes...:-)

That could actually be true. I was thinking more of a immediate way to get it into a siding if something went wrong. Can't block those revenue cars...

I bet the consist would just drag the modern loco down passes if the dynamic brakes failed and service brakes were used. Hope it has AC traction motors. Put it in notch 8!