Brassed Off from 1996

AndrewJohn

• Community Admin

Stumbled across this movie recently, and enjoyed it again. It came out in 1996.  Stars Ewan McGregor (very young), Pete Postlethwaite, and Tara Fitzgerald.  It's an exceptional story, and quite complex with several subplots involving labor unions, mining, economics, business and change.  The movie knits these elements together in a setting of a declining town, it's culture and 100-year-old brass ensemble, that will inevitably end-of-life along with the economic infeasibility of the mine and people's over-dependence on their employer.  Lots of interesting analogs with today's foolery of turning back the clock.  

But the music is incredible.  I had to dig out the soundtrack I had purchased back then.  I dare you to listen to this through to the end.  Flugelhorn anyone?

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 4

• Community Admin

Listened to it again this morning.  That piece, Rodrigo's Concerto, is moving.

The irony of that clip, in its entirety, actually brings tears to my eyes.

Lots of good music and performance moves me like that. 

If you want to skip the irony, the music starts about half-way through. 

(The irony continues to the end, with the flash-over video to the negotiators concerning the future of the mine...)

• Thank You 3

I've heard many versions of the Concierto de Aranjuez, most by guitar and orchestra, and of course Miles Davis' small jazz combo recording on Sketches of Spain. This version is as emotionally connected as the best of them. Thanks for sharing AJ!

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
On 5/16/2019 at 6:21 PM, zumbini said:

I've heard many versions of the Concierto de Aranjuez, most by guitar and orchestra, and of course Miles Davis' small jazz combo recording on Sketches of Spain. This version is as emotionally connected as the best of them. Thanks for sharing AJ!

Thank you @zumbini, Just ordered the EU 180g remaster of this - still in Mono, I believe.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • That Rocks 1