Jump to content
Daddyjt

Does this like, annoy the hell out of like, anyone else?

Recommended Posts

Is it just me, or does it seem as though most anyone under the age of 25 or so can’t form a sentence without using the word “like”. Multiple times. Over and over. 

 

It used to be that the words “and”, “the” and “I” were the most commonly spoken words in the English language. 

 

Not any more. 

  • Thank You 3
  • Love this! 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In a collection of his essays, Arguably, Christopher Hitchens skewers "like" in The Other L-Word. "Many parents and teachers have become irritated to the point of distraction at the way the weed-style growth of 'like' has spread through the idiom of the young. And it's true that in some cases the term has become simultaneously a crutch and a tic, driving out the rest of the vocabulary as candy expels vegetables. " *

 

I have turned off interviews or deleted podcasts because of hosts or guests  using "filler" words–"um" or "er" or "So" or "Well" or "You know" or "I'm like", etc.–in an unending stream.

 

* Not to be missed, also, is the essay A Very, Very Dirty Word, cataloguing the varieties of "fuck".  Okay, off I fuck now.

Edited by dcl
Text
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is someone at work that uses "basically" about ten times per discussion. It's very distracting.

  • Thank You 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya reckon Facebook and other social media might have something to do with that?

 

We had a guy at work doing Continuous Improvement training that used 7 "ums" in one sentence. His "ums" would have made a very short order drinking game.

 

I recall a Public Speaking class where the professor dropped a letter grade after the first um, and you sat down after the second one.

 

 

  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The starting of a sentence with the word 'So' is so annoying as well.

I hear it from many younger professionals such as doctors & scientists. It's completely superfluous and the statement would be the same with it left out.

So what do you think of that?

  • Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stickers

Posted (edited)

  It's really too bad that when the L word is used, or if a speaker intended to represent a cause or action doesn't make good use of language, I turn them off, one way or another. The general message can be spot on or at least worthy of thought, yet it gets speared through with these distractions/misuse of language. I want to get another point of view even as I disagree, but then find that my opinion has already been formed in the first few sentences by the way it is expressed.

 

 

  I also wince at the 'lilting question' at the end of sentences. Don't talk apologetically to me,,, it's insulting. 

 

 

 When posting here, I will at least proofread what I have typed and maybe even say it outloud to help ensure directness.

Edited by 4krow
More wisdom to be shared
  • That Rocks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Charlie said:

So...Like, Um...Where do we go from here????

So then, Ahhh, are the 4 question marks indicating a lilt? We have discussed this... How does that make you feel?

  • Thank You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 4krow said:

So then, Ahhh, are the 4 question marks indicating a lilt? We have discussed this... How does that make you feel?

 

I'm medicated so I don't really have much in the way of feelings...…. :|

Edited by Charlie
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

I recall a Public Speaking class where the professor dropped a letter grade after the first um, and you sat down after the second one.

 

I'm  a Toastmasters alum. Valuable stuff!

  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in my previous job I have a friend that during meetings we list down the "most used words" of the day..these are..

 

1. actually      
2. basically
3. normally    

 

there is also what we call a "word of the day",  any word to make your day lol

 

now when I watch tv with the family, celebrities have their own dictionary too..

  • Thank You 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when I was part of the giant corporate packaging world, my office mates and I used to play the "Corporation Buzzword Game".

We would count how many times the favorite words and phrases would get used in a single meeting or better yet - conference call.

 

Paradigm shifting

Leading edge

Outstanding

World class

Low hanging fruit

Outside the box

Move the needle

Wheelhouse

Transformative

Synergy

Best practice

Mission critical

Thought leadership

Right sizing (my personal favorite)

Critical path

Organic growth

 

 

So many more.....

 

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stickers

"My doctor told me that I am so sick that there is a 90% chance of dying, but there only a 10% chance of that."  Groucho

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My son drives me mad by using the word bandwidth to indicate too many irons in the fire concept. "Dad, all of this just takes up too much bandwidth in my life." "Then, unplug it son."

Edited by 4krow
I don't know
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...