Daddyjt

Does this like, annoy the hell out of like, anyone else?

Adding to the library in the caboose of this train of discussion: Dreyer’s English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style  by  Benjamin Dreyer, copy chief of Random House. I learned of this New York Times best seller from an NPR interview and from a podcast ; the wide-ranging conversations covered language, writing, and why "good writing is a form of morality."  Says Dreyer, "“I’m not the grammar police. But writing well is an act of resistance."   Vive la résistance.

41pOez1GNgL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• That Rocks 3

Posted (edited)

I grew up with my dad in public relations and advertising. One of the things I remember most from him helping me with any kind of public speaking was that rather than saying "um" or "ah" when you were giving a presentation or even just speaking with someone was not say anything at that point until you knew what came next.....simply pause for a moment. Not only does it sound more professional than a lot of "ahhs" and "ums"....it demonstrates that you are actually thinking about what you are saying and makes you appear more thoughtful with your speech or presentation than having to interject meaningless words for lack of the next correct ones.

PS... My daughter went through the "like" stage in high school for a year or so. She's now a PHD, voted "Educator of the year" for the state of Washington last year and a professor at Seattle university. She gives presentations all around the country and some worldwide. The "like" thing disappeared years ago! Did I "browbeat" her about it?...absolutely, with little effect, but it just faded away on it's own after a while.

Edited by fxbill
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

Posted (edited)

Literacy is dying along with a bunch of other 'civilizing' things. Most either don't graduate from HS or do but they were just pushed along through the system with teachers struggling with non-English speakers and general complacency (at least in our once very good public education system). Sad to read what many 20-30 year old's nowadays try to write in posts or in reports. Even as an engineer, towards the end of my career, many struggled (and dreaded) to write status reports or technical reports due to their lack of basic English language and sentence structure skills... And those were the college grads. MANY folks walking around today cannot read nor write nor do basic math. That's scary re our future....especially since they DO vote (and WILL vote for "free everything" out of a sense of survival albeit it a short and brutal one!).

Edited by elgrau
  • Thank You 1
  • Sad 2

As we commiserate.., and I know I am also guilty of my own contributive infractions on the English language..., I sure hope this is as common to all generations, as it may be...

Remember the era of 

"cool, man"

"groovy"

"hey baby"

Other generations, cultures, periods also had their language break-downs.  I think of some of Hemingway's writing incorporating the word-isms of his time, and so on...

Just a thought - trying to be positive and convince myself that while pervasive for many generations, it's that potentially-pubescent through post-pubescent period where people "figure it out"..., 

Sadly, some don't.  "The world needs ditch-diggers, too." is a quote from Caddyshack (and other sources) that comes to mind.

• That Rocks 1

Stickers

I could write about the erosion of the English language full-time, but it's no use.  Those who are heard in the media are no longer properly educated, and they just copy each other's mistakes.  It seems that their editors don't know or don't care, and now a whole generation copies their sort of garbage, schoolteachers included.

Therefore, we are treated (on a daily basis) to sentences such as, "A force of 500 soldiers were sent to quell the uprising".  It has reached the point  that if you say it correctly,  someone will 'correct'  you.

The misuse of the word  'probable' is rampant, and hilarious ("The police have arrested a probable suspect").

Another example of a favorite is phrase is   "multiple persons were injured"  (still waiting to see a picture of a 'multiple  person'). 

Every answer or comment now seems to require that it be prefaced by the meaningless word "So...'   And every problem now has become an "issue".

SO, I've reached the point where I like hope they all like die without issue, know'm sayn'?

RobertR

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 2