Sk1Bum

Saying goodbye to friend

My dear Rosa's suffering ended today.

I took her to the vet the first week of May, thinking she had injured herself jumping the fence. She had done that a few times, but after limping for more than a couple of days, I took her to the vet thinking she'd broken a bone, torn a ligament, or sprained something. Much to my dismay, she was diagnosed with bone cancer, and the prognosis was not good. Amputation & chemo, 18 months to 2 years; amputation alone, maybe 1 year; do nothing, keep her comfortable with pain meds, about 6 months. I could not take her front leg, and the end result was the same.

Well, the cancer grew faster than any of us thought, and it doubled in size this week. She had a knot the size of half a softball on her right front shoulder, and the pain meds were losing effectiveness. 

I can take solace in the fact that she's not suffering, but I'm sure going to miss her.

Rosa_R.thumb.jpg.7223820f2547a996d27db4f84808a3d0.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 11

Cancer fucking sucks !!! I'm so sick of hearing about it... Too many people and dogs affected by it.

I am sorry for your loss. I had to put my girl down the day before Thanksgiving. It still hurts...

😭😢😭😢

• Thank You 4

Stickers

So sorry to hear.....I feel for you.

I am literally surrounded by animals everyday....

Unfortunately the more you have to enjoy the more to loose.

My best friend is 13 already.....grey faced Jack Russell.

I'm dreading....just thinking of it makes me emotional.

Hope you have many happy memories to fill your heart...

• Thank You 4

I'm so sorry @Sk1Bum - I've been there too many times.  It's one of the great kindnesses we can do, but also one of the very hardest things we can face.  She was clearly family, and I loved seeing your stories and comments about her.  She truly had a loving home and great life.

All my condolences.  :(

• Thank You 3

Damn Dick - I’m so sorry to hear that. 

I’ll tell you something though - in the case of you and Rosa, MAN was truly DOG’s best friend. I’m so glad you were there for her.  Whenever we’d chat these last couple months, and you’d say “yup - Rosa and I are having steak tonight”... warmed my heart brother. 

I’ll call you this weekend my friend...

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 2

A friend once counseled me on the passing of (again of another) cat, "If we outlive our fondest friends we are fortunate."  This still seeps into me. I wistfully smile then tear up. 

This is how it goes, so it seems: Love, loss, love, care, concern, love, compassion ...

Deep bows to you & your loved ones.

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

Sk1Bum

So sad for you loss, but you looked after Rosa's pain.

I went thought the same think with my beloved Tank, (bone cancer) we put him out of pain on 28 Oct 2018

Like you will, I think of Tank daily, even though we have a new pup to keep me busy, I will not forget Tank

AND YOU WILL NOT FORGET ROSA, she looked beautiful 

Brian 

• Thank You 1

As a lifelong dog owner I feel that pain every time the cycle of life resets. I know it's inevitable and it sucks. They truly are man's best friend and help me to be a better person every day. Love, compassion and loyalty in abundance.

DSC_0051 - Copy.JPG

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

Sorry for your loss. We had to put my wife’s last dog down earlier this year because of cancer. We understand.

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry for your loss! 

My friend Nils Lofgren lost his dog ‘Groucho’ and wrote a song ‘Remember You’ on his album just released!

I remember the loss of many pets over the years, I am with you !  Rosa will be missed!

Barry

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 1