I would like to mount my setup into a rack. Im in search of the rack mount adapters for the c-2, the tx-2, and the c-9. Are these pieces rack mountable? If so where can i find these parts. Thanks in advance.

• Thank You 2

Welcome to the Carver Site! (I moved your post to the correct forum) These adapters are like Hen's teeth. They show up 2-3 times a year and generally sell for $100-$135 each.  Good luck with your search. In the mean time you can tell us a bit about your journey in Audio.  It is a friendly group here.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Set up an eBay alert for TX-2's.

Many times they sell for under $50 with the rack faceplate.

(Especially from Goodwill and pawn shops - they typically don't know the true value.)

WELCOME TO THE SITE!

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

Hi compwaco. Thanks for the response. My journey.... ive always been interested in vinyl, my father bought a cd player new in 1986. Our technics turntable sat un used for 20 years while we listened to cd’s. In the mid 2000’s i finally took all dads vinyl, and bought a replacement stylus for the audio technica cartridge. That led to binge buying vinyl, and listening to them thru dads technics sl-d2 and kenwood kr-4070. Last year i stumbled across a carver m-400 cube, c-2 pre, tx-2 tuner and a dtl-200 mk2 cd player. Paid 100 bucks for the lot. Everything worked, but i had to put a new belt on the cd deck.  I was amazed at how the carver setup stood out from anything I've ever heard before. I paired the carver gear with some klipsch speakers i inherited from a passed loved one, bought the c-9 on ebay, probably from a member of this group, and just this week bought the td-1200 cassette deck to complete my stack. Now i just sit and listen, with the sonic hologram generator enabled of course. I am now binge buying cd’s and cassettes. Hopefully someone will post these rack mounts. 

Edited by Wopalop420
  • That Rocks 3

FWIW, I have rack mountable C-9 ready for sale. If yours hasn't been rebuilt yet, it might work out for both of us to do a trade.

• That Rocks 3

Welcome.jpg

Welcome @Wopalop420 from another relative newcomer.  I'd warn you about the pitfalls of OCCD, but it's clearly WAY too late.  I know how badly it got its hooks into me. You definitely already qualify for :

OCCD_Lives_Here.jpg

Sounds (literally) like a nice system you've put together.  You do have a challenge ahead with the brackets, but as long as you wait a bit and watch for it, you can probably find what you're after.  As @itchitchsuggested, watch for units on E-bay and elsewhere that have the rackmount brackets - possibly even one being sold for parts, which can be quite a bit cheaper than the parts you are after, and there are folks here that can likely put the rest of the parts to good use, once you cull the brackets or entire faceplate from it.

When you can, show us some pictures of what you've got. 

For now, have fun, and enjoy the music - LPs, CD, or tapes.  And I think you are safe from reel-to-reel, as I don't "think" Carver ever produced any of those.  (Though I'm sure someone will quickly correct me if there was something :D).

3 hours ago, 4krow said:

FWIW, I have rack mountable C-9 ready for sale. If yours hasn't been rebuilt yet, it might work out for both of us to do a trade.

Im not sure my c-9 has been re built or not. I just know that it works and it works well. Send me a pm with your proposal.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to The Carver Site!    @Wopalop420  Nice set up you have there !!

A few mentioned "rebuilt" or "refreshed" in terms of your amp and C-9..., commonly, these units are ~30+ years old, so they really improve with a refresh of consumable / degradable components such as capacitors.  Caps from 30  years ago are likely losing their "oomph", and current capacitors' produced today have much higher quality.  Lots of threads no the forum to learn more about refreshing your M400 cube, and more.  Some have re-capped their Carver CD players and noticed an improvement too.

The rack option for the M200t, TX-2, DTL-50 and C-2 (amp, tuner, cd player and pre-amp, respectively) components was really a faceplate option that helped the earlier line of components cosmetically fit in with the later C-1, and mX.Xt line of components with standard rack handles and a wider faceplate.  Like @compwaco said, they are rare as hen's teeth.  So are pictures..., took me a few minutes to find this one on the internet..., of the faceplate/rack-handle option on an m200t amp.

Capture.thumb.JPG.4c2dc5f3af77b6a2a19a97ce3682c0ae.JPG

They bolted on to the front of the existing faceplates for those early units.

FWIW, the C-9 hologram generator came in grayish faceplates only, with or without rack mounts.  The rack mount option of the entire unit was designed with slotted rack-ears.  It never had handles, that I know of.  Compared to your unit, it looked like this:  

Capture.JPG.bca22da2f21099d1a2a6df9b0c79b3ff.JPG

Although, I have seen a few people add "dbx"-style "ears" to their non-rack-mount c-9 units, they required drilling and bolting on some after-market ears.  It never looked quite right (in my opinion):

Capture.JPG.eeda4c7405d73666cd2d1c7c4c3bc062.JPG

Welcome to the site, great pictures..., and super nice setup!  I bet those Klipsch really sing.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1

Stickers

1 hour ago, Sk1Bum said:

Does the C-2 & TX-2 take the same rack handles as an M200t?

Great looking setup!

I am fairly certain it does!

Very nice, @Wopalop420!  That's one of the cleanest looking M-400's I've seen.  Love you Turntable mat!  ~^

As @AndrewJohn suggested, it's probably time to consider getting at least the caps done in some of those devices. As long as it's sounding good, you may be okay for a bit.  The M-400 is apparently a bit of a pain for service, Bob did an amazing job packing all that info into such a small footprint, but I will let the tech's here respond properly.  The same consideration about caps applies to any equipment of that vintage, of course (including the crossovers in speakers).  It's a pain to go through - I just did for a C-1 and M1.0t pre and power amp, but I still have other gear that is in the "someday, if  find a willing sucker" category.

For now, it apeas it all sonds great, so just wor towards that goal, and enjoy the music!  d:b

• Thank You 1

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. Im Defiantly on board with re-capping these pieces. I think maybe focussing on that may be better, for the time being,  at least to keeping these pieces alive longer. Ive been re-building power supply boards on some marantz recievers with my brother and we have been successful. We are getting ready to make a part list and order the components for the cube. It has the slightest bit of noise on the right channel, that can only be heard at no volume. I think ill just find a part list for that on this forum order some parts, and keep my eyes open for the rack mounts in the mean time. Thanks again everyone for the helpful info.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Wopalop420 said:

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. Im Defiantly on board with re-capping these pieces. I think maybe focussing on that may be better, for the time being,  at least to keeping these pieces alive longer. Ive been re-building power supply boards on some marantz recievers with my brother and we have been successful. We are getting ready to make a part list and order the components for the cube. It has the slightest bit of noise on the right channel, that can only be heard at no volume. I think ill just find a part list for that on this forum order some parts, and keep my eyes open for the rack mounts in the mean time. Thanks again everyone for the helpful info. 

One of our members here, Wayne @wrf is known to have expertise (as do others) with the M400 cube amps..., if you have any issues, he's (as are all the techs here) very helpful.

Edited by AndrewJohn

Stickers

Keep in mind you need to use taller feet if you incorporate this type of faceplate. I found out the hard way and dinged a stock 500t

Edited by itchitch