dr. underhill

amazing how poorly some folks treat equipment

I regularly browse ebay listings on electronics/vintage electronics- amps/preamps etc. and  am simply amazed (disgusted probably a better word) at how fine pieces of equipment are mistreated. some have minor scratches and the like, and then there are pieces that look like they were drug behind a truck from NY to California. I just have to wonder why someone would invest (some of these pieces were Not Cheap) in a quality component and then abuse/allow them to sink to the depths of degradation. my equipment is not High End (but not entry level either) but I protect the cosmetics as well as the functional aspects of my system. I always enjoy treating those who have never experienced music played through a quality system on my system and take pride in the appearance as well as the sonic of my components. you have to wonder that, much like a vehicle, if the appearance received so little attention what about the mechanical (or electronics in this case) treatment they may have seen- or not.

for god's sake they're Hi-Fi components not garden implements

• Thank You 6
  • Sad 2

I like components to sound good and look nice. So I take care of them and dust them so they do look nice. I also keep them maintained for sound quality. Some of the stuff I have seen on Ebay it seems people find a brand name and think they have gold no matter what the condition it is in. If it is a rare piece, the exception of condition. I won’t buy equipment unless the cosmetics are good.......grin

• Thank You 3

Posted (edited)

Case in point....on eBay for only $300 + $70 shipping!!!

second image is with original faceplate....what is should look like  #-o

Phase Linear 700 II.jpg

Phase Linear 700II Front Panel.JPG

Edited by Dennis47
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Dadvw said:

I like components to sound good and look nice. So I take care of them and dust them so they do look nice. I also keep them maintained for sound quality. Some of the stuff I have seen on Ebay it seems people find a brand name and think they have gold no matter what the condition it is in. If it is a rare piece, the exception of condition. I won’t buy equipment unless the cosmetics are good.......grin

anytime I hear the term "rare" my sphincter tightens up like a snare drum. a whole lot of the equipment listed was no great shakes when they were brand new, but let 25+ years pass and, as you so succinctly put it, they think they think they have a prototype McIntosh tube amp, and solid gold at that.

20 minutes ago, Dennis47 said:

Case in point....on eBay for only $300 + $70 shipping!!!

second image is with original faceplate....what is should look like  #-o

Phase Linear 700 II.jpg

Phase Linear 700II Front Panel.JPG

an OUTSTANDING example. how in the Hell did this amp go from a beautiful piece of equipment to the amp shown in the listing?? what do these people's homes look like?

if this is an example of their typical hygiene standards I damned sure wouldn't be eating anything coming out of their kitchens.

Disgraceful: "a loss of honor, respect, or reputation"

they should be relegated  to listening to music on an old Lloyds combination record player/8 track/AM-FM/ with an ice maker and trash compactor through a set of 6" bookshelf speakers.   

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Three different C-9 units stand out over the years. They all had something in common, abuse. I should open a shelter. One of them was actually used by a band. Uh yah, 'we will use this unit to widen our sound man.' It was thrown around with the rest of the gear. I rebuilt it, and it got the title 'Ugly Betty'. She is no fun to look at, but makes up for it with her performance.

The next unit was a kind of bet to myself that I could take it on and remake a good appearance with it. It had been sawn, drilled, and bent to the liking of it's previous owner. Interestingly, it became one of the more glamorous units that I have rebuilt.

Last was the unit where the customer asked if he could open it up and do some extra work IIRC to the unit. I never condone this unless I know the person doing it. I folded and he went to work on the unit. Left it not only in shambles, but it was by far the hardest to recover from physical damage. I use the term ham fisted to mean that this guys hands/understanding were anything but gracious. Wish that I had photos before and after for these wounded in audio service.

• Sad 3

One of the worst areas I've noticed is with Sunfire Subwoofers.  Almost every one I see for sale looks like it's been through the wars, and came out on the decidedly losing side.  Beaten to Rat$h1t doesn't even come close.  What on earth do they do to those things, play drunken soccer with them?  I'm not even sure that would come close to the destruction they show.  

I have a (bad) habit of watching Carver gear on places such as eBay, and while many are in great shape, many look like the owners took a pry-bar, or screwdriver to the switches knobs, and faceplates. 

I've still got my first amp, and I can say it looks pretty much as it did when I first bought it.   The PL amp, above, is WAY beyond that lowly level of equipment.  I get how a band's gear can wind up being pretty messed up over the years, but some of that stuff should have lived in nice cabinets or at least been semi-decently stored.  

Ah well, time to just go look at what I now have and enjoy how clean and beautiful it looks, and sounds.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

5 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

I have a (bad) habit of watching Carver gear on places such as eBay, and while many are in great shape, many look like the owners took a pry-bar, or screwdriver to the switches knobs, and faceplates. 

There are a lot of units from recycling centers just chucked into bins, pulled out and sold on eBay "As-Is". 

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, kve777 said:

There are a lot of units from recycling centers just chucked into bins, pulled out and sold on eBay "As-Is". 

Those would be AFTER going through the trash compactor on the garbage truck, right?

Any of you who have a technical bent (and in many cases a mechanical talent) who take on these poor lost souls, have my admiration, and appreciation for those you can save.  For the rest, at least I hope they can provide useful doner parts for some other "project."

• Thank You 3

It is a matter of perspective, mine/vs theirs. For the first 7 years in the telephone industry, I got to install telephone jacks in peoples homes. I got to see more than I ever wanted. Most people lived reasonably and to a beat of their own taste. Others could be identified just by pulling up in the yard full of various trash. All that they owned or abandoned was treated about the same way.

• Thank You 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kve777 said:

People do the same thing with cars and houses (and spouses and animals!) Very sad.

I think it has to do with parenting..., in many cases.  (lack of parenting..., generation after generation...)

2 hours ago, kve777 said:

I've gone to the county "recycling" day, where they take paint, have a mass shredder, and collect electronics for recycling..., the kids that volunteer to work those events have no care..., and, snip, off cuts the cord, put in one pile for copper, then stacked on pallets in a cardboard watermelon ring.  And, they won't let you take any of it..., some giant, probably offshore, recycler already put in a bid to "collect" the spoils. 

It makes one want to cry.

One time I walked into the back door of our local goodwill, and they had the same cardboard watermelon rings, stacked with dropped off gear.  That's why no electronics gear ever gets put the shelves at many Goodwill locations.

Tried to find a picture... to make the point...

box_of_electronics.jpg

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Sad 2

Stickers

6 hours ago, 4krow said:

Others could be identified just by pulling up in the yard full of various trash. All that they owned or abandoned was treated about the same way. 

Oh you mean:  "yard art"?

• Haha 2

Its not just gear.....in the horse industry the examples of neglect are amazing, and this is with a living creature.

Personally, It doesnt bother me one way or another with objects.

You bought it, its yours, do with it what you may......not my business.

One mans garbage is another mans gold.

That goes for anything really.......except for animals.

You miss mistreat animals in my area, you get a visit from me way before the SPCA.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 4

2 hours ago, PDR said:

You miss mistreat animals in my area, you get a visit from me way before the SPCA.

Yes, compared to equipment, this is levels of magnitude worse, and beyond any tolerance.  

• Thank You 3

21 hours ago, MLB111 said:

Oh you mean:  "yard art"?

Yah, and please don't forget those who use a line of old cars as a defense wall.

• Haha 3

Not all items that have outward bad appearances have been mistreated. JG and I just picked up a Mac Mc-240 yesterday from a really old guy who has been saving a rack of vintage McIntosh and other gear for years. His health is failing and he had a neighbor selling some of his equipment. He's been storing all of it in climate controlled conditions since he purchased it long, long ago. The outward appearance of this amp is bad to say the least, but almost all older Macs have pitted chrome chassis regardless of how they were cared for and after examining the flawless and unmolested underside and carefully measuring many of the caps and resistors we discovered them all to be in excellent condition and well within tolerance. It also sported a matched quad of black plate RCA 6L6GC power tubes and all original Telefunken 12AX7's and 12AU7's...only the 12BH7's were not Tele's, but I don't recall that they ever made them. These were USA tubes though and matching. After lugging it home and slowly resurrecting it with a variac it proved to be an incredible sounding amp. I've owned several of these in the past and according to Mac followers the 3 best sounding amps Mac ever produced were the MC30 monoblocks, the MC-225 and the MC-240. This one is no exception. I'd forgotten over the years just how great these sound! It's ugly, but if I ever want to really get crazy with it I can jack it up and change out the chassis for a new one! Another case of "no sub needed" with this and the Altec 19's! I still miss my Mk4 MC275, but in all honesty this one sounds better despite having a much lower output. If your speakers are high efficiency then the old faithful 6L6 is still a great tube! I'll post photos of the ultra clean wiring and bottom later.... ( I'm still listening too much to tear it down to photograph!)

( notice my exotic high end speaker leads!)

1.jpg

2.jpg

• That Rocks 3

Congrats @fxbill - that one is actually pretty good looking compared to many I've seen pictures of - and those also tended to work very well.  Built like tanks and weigh about as much.  Great find, and it's now in hands that will ensure it's looked after.

BTW, when are you going to start selling those cool speaker cables!  

Sorry... The custom cables are back ordered right now. I hope to have more soon! You have to be careful to interweave them exactly as shown to get the best results from them though!

• Haha 3

Part of my job is to get products (reverse logistics) into good stage again, sometimes they're better than new.  

Second stage is to put the ones with the slightest problems into a discount shop.  

Third is to separate each material (heavily damaged) in a scrap stage, it pains me seeing them get dismantled.  (*,) :V:

Albeit, majority are being saved from getting into the third stage..

I'm still thankful that there are no Preamps, Amps, DACs, TT's, EQ's, Speakers etc.     

• Thank You 2

A high-end audio store in my town says people either treat gear well or they don't; that there are far and few in between - if any at all.

• Thank You 1