Daddyjt

Mark’s movie corner.

For this weekend’s offering, I’m going to share one of my top 5 all-time favorite films (and that’s a very exclusive list!) - Cameron Crow’s 2000 film, Almost Famous.

First and foremost, if you are in any way a fan of ‘70s rock, this film is a MUST SEE.  It is the story of the real-life events of Cameron Crow as a young teen writing for Rolling Stone magazine while touring with The Alman Brothers (Though in the film, he tours with the fictitious band Stillwater).  Crow knew early in his film career he wanted to make this film.  He and his wife (Nancy Wilson of Heart) wrote the Stillwater songs on their honeymoon.

The film is a wonderful coming of age story, set against the backdrop of the ‘70s rock scene. There are incredibly touching moments, great humor, and unequivocally the best soundtrack of any movie I’ve seen. All of the acting performances are top notch, but the performances of both Francis McDormand and Philip Seymour Hoffman are truly fantastic.

if you have the option, the “Bootleg” version is highly preferable, as the extended scenes really add to the overall film. 

• Thank You 2

For this weekend’s selection, I offer a clever and intriguing “heist” film, appropriately titled Heist (not The Heist, or American Heist - Just Heist).  This is a heist film that does not rely on shootouts, pulse-pounding building climes, or helicopter stunts to move the story along. It relies on clever planning, slight of hand twists and superb acting to deliver the goods (pun).

This film is stacked with memorable performances - Delroy Lindo, Danny Devito, Rebecca Pidgeon, Sam Rockwell, Ricky Jay, and of course Gene Hackman.  I can’t discuss too much without giving anything away, but if you like a good Heist movie, this one is well worth your time:-)

B7179FA7-92D7-45A3-999D-2029F5EB8530.jpeg

• Thank You 2