Sign in to follow this  
oldtexasdog

No Internet! Help-ideas?

Hope this is the right place for this if not please move. I just found out that I cannot have spectrum here and it is the only good service provider . The others are DSL (over the phone lines) and satellite ugh! I usually do have 2 bars of 4G on my Verizon phone and could get more with a yagi ant. So starting to look into a jet pack solution. Can’t afford crazy money but need internet for computer and TV.

Any suggestions?

• Sad 1

James,

I moved it to the Member's Lounge.

I ran into that situation recently, and what I did was install a CradlePoint 4G modem/router. They are not cheap, but, they have excellent support and it is a very well built, well designed product. You can find them on Amazon. LINK

The link is for an IBR600 which has built-in Wi-Fi. I bought the IBR650 (no WiFi) because I already have a Wi-Fi router and Access Points. So all I did was connect my Existing Gateway and Wi-Fi network into the CradlePoint.

You need SIM cards to connect to a cellphone network. This was easy with a business account because I can get 5 lines for a reasonable price (2 phone plans and 3 data plans). The downside is that Verizon's data plans, although advertised as 'unlimited', are actually limited. So I use 3 SIM cards, each with 22G of data at full speed, for one month of internet. So I can't go crazy on Netflix, but we can do all of our daily internet use without any trouble at all.

Call Verizon or whatever cell provider you have out there and discuss their data plans. Tell them you're interested in a CradlePoint. They may know how to help you choose the right plan if you go that route.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, loner_t said:

@Nahash5150 used a Verizon SIM, a CradlePoint gateway/router and a Yagi. He can provide more details. 

Does the Power company provide Internet Access in your area?

No they do not.

2 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

James,

I moved it to the Member's Lounge.

I ran into that situation recently, and what I did was install a CradlePoint 4G modem/router. They are not cheap, but, they have excellent support and it is a very well built, well designed product. You can find them on Amazon. LINK

The link is for an IBR600 which has built-in Wi-Fi. I bought the IBR650 (no WiFi) because I already have a Wi-Fi router and Access Points. So all I did was connect my Existing Gateway and Wi-Fi network into the CradlePoint.

You need SIM cards to connect to a cellphone network. This was easy with a business account because I can get 5 lines for a reasonable price (2 phone plans and 3 data plans). The downside is that Verizon's data plans, although advertised as 'unlimited', are actually limited. So I use 3 SIM cards, each with 22G of data at full speed, for one month of internet. So I can't go crazy on Netflix, but we can do all of our daily internet use without any trouble at all.

Call Verizon or whatever cell provider you have out there and discuss their data plans. Tell them you're interested in a CradlePoint. They may know how to help you choose the right plan if you go that route.

Thanks! I will look into that as it sounds like a good plan as long as it’s not crazy expensive going forward  I don’t mind one time start up cost that much. Within reason of course. They told me I could pay them 3000.00 to run he line under the road-NOT!!

Question though-as I was looking ata the IBR600 I saw a MOFI 4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 for about half the price? Any good? Also would it help to put up a cell ant to get better reception do you think?

Edited by oldtexasdog
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, oldtexasdog said:

No they do not.

Thanks! I will look into that as it sounds like a good plan as long as it’s not crazy expensive going forward  I don’t mind one time start up cost that much. Within reason of course. They told me I could pay them 3000.00 to run he line under the road-NOT!!

Good grief...although, if I could get fiber for $3000, I'd probably consider it...

mNWx48h.gif

• Haha 2

Stickers

18 minutes ago, oldtexasdog said:

They told me I could pay them 3000.00 to run he line under the road-NOT!!

My brother is building a house in the woods. Not sure what his solution is - I'll ask. Think it's similar to what Greg is doing.

He asked Xfinity (Comcast) for a quote to run cable .... I think it was $40K.  

• Sad 3

I use exede satellite internet. Very few problems. Good for Internet but you probably aren't going to be willing to pay for enough monthly data to stream.

18 minutes ago, oldtexasdog said:

Just got a e-mail add from Verizon for a 5G MIFI M1000?

I agree with @Nahash5150. The Cradlepoint is a better/flexible solution, notwithstanding the promise of 5G/UWB. Swapping SIMs allows switching carriers, otherwise you will be bound to VZ. Most of these SPs are notorious for raising prices as soon as the initial contract ends. 

• Thank You 2

Stickers

On 8/3/2019 at 12:31 PM, jeffs said:

My brother is building a house in the woods. Not sure what his solution is - I'll ask.

He got back to me. He just uses a samsung phone (tmobile) tethered to an Asus router. Says it's good for 20GB a month before throttling commences, so not good for those who stream significant video. He admits that DSL would be a better long term solution if his data consumption goes up, but at this point it's 2x the monthly cost, and he doesn't need the data ... yet.

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

I'm in that same boat with our new house we moved into back in late May. There's a house 762 feet from me that has cable internet, up to 100mb, or dsl but for us to get it, they would have to trench about 2000 feet through everyone's front yard, run under the street, and then to my house. Cost wise, out of the question.  It sucks as I'm the network administrator for the city and we have 500mb fiber for our use and all we're really able to do is use our "unlimited" data from cell phones. There's 1500 feet of cat6 ran through the house, that my wife and I ran, and at least one connection in every room plus 2 access points wired back to a wall mounted 16U rack in our master closet.  So, I'm wired and ready not I'm not going to pay for satellite internet...I'd rather have nothing. Maybe 5G Fixed Wireless from AT&T will be ready here in the next year...at least that's what an engineer told me. He had me send him the plat for the neighborhood (1 acre lots or so) and said if just a few more houses would be built, he could run it to the powers that be to drop fiber in the neighborhood. Wishful thinking but still hopeful. 

I feel your pain. 

Edited by avguytx
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for asking Greg

Spectrum came out and flat stated no service. Verizon said for another 65.00 a month I could do a hot spot but only 15 GB of data per month at speed per sim.

Looking into Windstream now (DSL) 25 to 50 GB speed unlimited data ( 40.00 a month cheap) but they are flaky on the speed from what I have read (get what you pay for I guess) but looks like the only affordable game in town till Elon Musk gets his Sats in orbit-LOL

Any thoughts?

Thanks again all for the help.

• Sad 1

Well, if latency is not a problem, that is, if you don't need your download/upload turn around time to be near instantaneous, then satellite is a suitable alternative. Typically, only gaming and maybe some applications like video conferencing would be adversely affected by bad latency. If you use internet for movies and browsing the internet, satellite works really good. Viasat is probably your best bet.

They have to use FAP to limit data though. So it's expensive internet by comparison to cable or DSL, but it does work.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

On 8/5/2019 at 10:08 PM, Nahash5150 said:

What kind of issues? I tether all the time.

Verizon wanted to cut him off after 20GB. I do not know the exact details. Verizon Data Plans & Features - Terms & Conditions has this clause, which seems to be open to abuse by VZ. 

Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect. We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network.

On 8/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, avguytx said:

Maybe 5G Fixed Wireless from AT&T will be ready here in the next year

SPs should provide such an alternative, if they are really serious about Broadband ubiquity. Typical 2.4/5G Outdoor WiFi APs have a range of 700-1500 feet, depending on terrain. LoS CBRS is another option for SPs. If there is a strand, the SP delivering service to your neighbor can mount APs to provide you service. There are ways to address such constraints, if the SPs really want to serve consumers.

• Thank You 1

Stickers