Nahash5150

New Manuals Database Coming [LOOK HERE!]

We are converting the Manuals database to the new engine. This means a lot of new features, and a whole new appearance.

But before we get neck deep in this, I want to get some feedback.

Here are the details:

1) We will be retaining ALL the old fields and lists - that is, all the models, their retail prices, types, links to manuals, etc.

2) We can preserve the current categories (Phase Linear, Sunfire and Carver are all different context tables).

3) New features the old database didn't have

4) Your chance to give us what you'd like to see

So, here are the questions to ponder:

For detail #1 - do we still want pricing information? Realistically, this requires periodic updating. If anyone wants to volunteer, I can make you the database pricing manager

For detail #2 - Do you prefer the subdivided categories or should we merge everything into one category, and use Make and Model as sortable fields?

For detail #3 - Some new features...

a) Add pictures of the units on their record

b) Adjust permissions so that members can add pics and files to the records.

c) Members can post a review

d) Members can rate record entries

e) New records will post on a forum topic automatically (New Manuals Added).

f) Instructions, known issues and other permanent comments can be added or edited anytime

g) Members can upload files to the record

h) Follow a record - get notified if any changes occur on a record

For Detail #4 - Speak up! What would you like to see in our new database?

Thoughts - comments - compliments - and encouragements

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

Stickers

Thanks for asking, Greg.  Two thoughts come to mind... Maybe valuable, maybe not.

1. The obvious tables of PL, Carver, Sunfire begs the other obvious pivot, which is "Owner's Manuals," Service Manuals," "Service Bulletins," Tech Spec Sheets," "Marketing Brochures and Materials."

2. Cross-referenced arrangement in #1 above may also give an indication of "what is missing." So something that listed "We Need These Manuals" table to put the MIA's front and center. 

The comprehensiveness of the library is quite spectacular! and a focus on what is needed, can help it become the Smithsonian of Carver Manuals.

Last thought, would be to eliminate substitutes, so we know what is missing, and can fill it out as a collective crowd.  There are a some manuals posted for the wrong component.  E.g., the M400 Manual, is really the M400t amp. Again, that helps identify what is missing, so we can fill it out.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

37 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

1. The obvious tables of PL, Carver, Sunfire begs the other obvious pivot, which is "Owner's Manuals," Service Manuals," "Service Bulletins," Tech Spec Sheets," "Marketing Brochures and Materials."

Brochures et al - check.

37 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

2. Cross-referenced arrangement in #1 above may also give an indication of "what is missing." So something that listed "We Need These Manuals" table to put the MIA's front and center. 

Cross Reference as in, do you want a page that lists all brochures? As of right now, I'm using a field formatted for a URL for specsheets, manuals, etc. Brochures would have to be uploaded then the URL entered in the 'Brochure et al' field. You can then sort by Brochure. Not sure if that is useful, but now's the time to propose and give examples if you see any out there that you like.

41 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

Last thought, would be to eliminate substitutes, so we know what is missing, and can fill it out as a collective crowd.  There are a some manuals posted for the wrong component.  E.g., the M400 Manual, is really the M400t amp. Again, that helps identify what is missing, so we can fill it out.

There is going to be a database manager in change of all the data that is added or changed. Placing someone in charge will encourage accountability. Said manager can form a team to facilitate said collective improvements, but I'm afraid I'm a little shy about opening up the database to all members (although anyone will be able to make comments/suggestions right on the record). To do this right, we need someone with experience in cataloging and management.

Therefore my answer is - I am programming the foundation and features and will provide technical support. Whomever steps up to become the database manager will manage how the data is handled going forward.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

8 minutes ago, Nahash5150 said:

[…] do you want a page that lists all brochures? As of right now, I'm using a field formatted for a URL for specsheets, manuals, etc. Brochures would have to be uploaded then the URL entered in the 'Brochure et al' field. You can then sort by Brochure. Not sure if that is useful, but now's the time to propose and give examples if you see any out there that you like. […]

I'll noodle on it some more - mostly saw the granular lenses to look at this..., spark some ideas from others, perhaps.  I wasn't really thinking that a page of just brochures, and perhaps it's really just a master "grid" of "X"s in boxes of types of materials that we have..., that would fulfill the need to see what is missing..., I'll keep mulling on it.

Stickers

1 minute ago, AndrewJohn said:

I'll noodle on it some more - mostly saw the granular lenses to look at this..., spark some ideas from others, perhaps.  I wasn't really thinking that a page of just brochures, and perhaps it's really just a master "grid" of "X"s in boxes of types of materials that we have..., that would fulfill the need to see what is missing..., I'll keep mulling on it.

It's possible to do this:

In the Listview, we can display 'yes/no' for the field names such as 'Brochure', 'User Manual', etc. In the Record View, we can display the URLs.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

You definitely covered things well, Greg.

I really like the option for pictures, and I'd encourage having both front and rear pictures.  Many Carver manuals only give a textual description of connectors.

What about a place to note common modifications / upgrades, etc.?  I was going to suggest listing service bulletins, but I see you got that one, along the way.  That might not be considered widely desirable by everyone, but I thought I'd suggest it.

As always, thanks for the great work and always moving things forward for us.

• Thank You 3

On 8/13/2019 at 10:54 PM, Brian_at_HHH said:

What about a place to note common modifications / upgrades, etc.?  I was going to suggest listing service bulletins, but I see you got that one, along the way.  That might not be considered widely desirable by everyone, but I thought I'd suggest it.

Modifications and Upgrades can be considered, sure.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Listing the original pricing is nice, but current pricing should be eliminated due to disparities in the verifiable condition of any model, and the market area. 

• Thank You 4