Childhood's end

RichP714

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

That's a good read; I like Arthur C. Clarke's style of writing....

Have you read the 'Rendezvous with Rama' stories?  They started out as a small novel when he was young.  He returned to the story in a big way in later life, (and with the help of another author, both good)

Along their journey, they run into resource crises, which are, of course, denied by what has become the de-facto leadership (eerily similar to what's going on today, yet this story's last book was written in 1993;  Fractal geometry comes into play, an overall wonderful series

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

Clark could always balance really interesting tech, with a really great story.  These days I find SF is all focused on the tech with little or no story.  I miss writing like Childhood's End and the Rama series.  Oops, I suppose I should have added one, so it would be in 3's.  ;)

• Love this! 1

36 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Clark could always balance really interesting tech, with a really great story.  These days I find SF is all focused on the tech with little or no story.  I miss writing like Childhood's End and the Rama series.  Oops, I suppose I should have added one, so it would be in 3's.  ;)

I watched the mini-series recently, and remembered that about him as well; you really CARE about his characters, and the backdrop may be some futuristic situation, but the stories are about being a human and what that entails

• Love this! 1