Sign in to follow this  
PhilDent

Anybody interested in a reel to reel machine?

I was helping clean out my wife's grandparents' house and came across this Sony reel to reel machine. I have no idea of the value, but I'd prefer that it would go to someone who would use it. Let me know if you are interested. It is a Sony TC-558.

20190905_192718-655x1164.jpg

• Thank You 2

@PhilDent That is a solid R2R unit.  Parts (belts, capstans) are still available (on ebay).  And, the electronics are serviceable. 

That would make a very nice additional analog source to a system.

Did they have any reel to reel tapes with it?

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Hello,

A RTR is one thing I've been lusting after.

I'm interested.

Of course AndrewJohn is first in line of course.

Do you know if it works? If so, any issues?

Carter

Edited by Zenith4me

3 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Did they have any reel to reel tapes with it?

I'll have to ask.  I didn't see any laying around, but there could be a stash somewhere.

1 hour ago, Zenith4me said:

Do you know if it works? If so, any issues?

I did not plug it in and test it.  It's been years since I threaded a tape, but I'm sure I could figure it out again.

Does anyone know the value of these machines? 

There was one sold on EBay a couple of months ago for $99 and one listed right now with a high bid of $79 and 9 hours remaining in the auction.

Stickers

RTR is the one thing that I missed trying to reach audio nirvana. A great cassette machine was as close as I got.

• Thank You 2

21 hours ago, Zenith4me said:

[…]

Of course AndrewJohn is first in line of course.

[…[

Nope, I have a refreshed TEAC.  I'm good with needing only one.  @Zenith4me, it's all yours!

My question about "tapes" was only intended to suggest that there might be even more value lying around in the back of a closet...,   Kinda' a strategic-thinking sort of thing..., like when I pick up a Carver unit on CL, I always ask "if they have the original boxes in the attic," or "the manuals hidden away in a drawer...," I think it best to assemble the whole thing, if one can, and make it really interesting for the receiver/buyer. Sellers often reply, "yea, now that you mention it...," and in the end, saves them the trouble of tossing old boxes or manuals, later while keeping a unit together with it's original "what's in the box" components.

For me, and this is my opinion (worth what you pay for it - nothing!), a clean consumer R2R in restorable condition is worth about $100 to $150.  Super high-end studio units may be worth more, but that's not my interest.  That way, if you can't refresh it, add new belts, and fulfill your fix for R2R tape as a new source, you aren't out big bucks.  I know of guys that have spent $600+ on a sexy high-end R2R, only to find that it's beyond restoration, parts are not available, or a local service center that says they know what they are doing - Eff's it up..., or for some other reason they lose on the deal..., and this way ultimately don't have to end up kicking themselves that hard afterward.  YMMV.

@Zenith4me Pick this up from @PhilDent, and post a thread on your experience, that would be very cool ! 😉 

• Thank You 2

Stickers

On 9/6/2019 at 6:22 AM, Zenith4me said:

A RTR is one thing I've been lusting after.

I'm interested.

PM me and we can work out shipping

Edited by PhilDent
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, PhilDent said:

Your reel to reel is on the way. Happy Birthday Carter!

Wow!

Thanks so much!

It is a happy birthday for me!

Carter

• That Rocks 1

8 hours ago, Zenith4me said:

Wow!

Thanks so much!

It is a happy birthday for me!

Carter

Congrats Carter!  I hope you enjoy it.......grin

9 hours ago, Dadvw said: