Ar9Jim

Playing with Electric Bicycles. DIY fun.

In Asia and Europe E-bikes are much more common than in the US at this time, although they are becoming more common all the time. As many of you know I operate Jim Clark Stereo - A Bob Carver Showcase Location.. We are the sales leader for Bob Carver  vacuum tube amplifiers in the USA and this is just the beginning for us..

Audio sales are somewhat seasonal, keeping me busy in the winter but over the summer I needed a project that is seasonal but opposite seasons to audio.

Somehow these electric bicycles caught my eye.. Many companies make them and conversion kits are also available for existing bicycles. Guys around these sites tend to be good with their hands and many would enjoy this project.. Firing up a fresh conversion and programing the controller before the first ride, is much like testing an amp before listening to it.. That "its alive" Frankenstein moment is addictive like audio.

I built 2. Both of these are currently available department store bikes you can order online.. I choose these because of the durable construction and having more the 4.5 stars with huge numbers of review.. They are sold in high volumes, so the cost is reasonable and the value is high. The red bike is a Mongoose Hitch. The grey bike is a Northrock XC00. A gentleman from Wisconsin is coming to ride my E-goose today.

On flat ground the Mongoose goes about 30 mph with a 230 rider with a range of over 20 miles without peddling.. The Northrock speed is closer to 40 mph.. We usually peddle for exercise and our typical 15 mile ride uses about 50% of a charge.. A charge cost about 5 cents. The controllers are cool. 30 amp on the 1200 watt. Convert DC to AC.. They use mosfets and the higher quality units are "pure sign wave".

Street legal bikes for bike paths in this area are electronically limited to 20 mph and 750 watts. We sell factory built legal bikes as well. The E-goose is 1200 watts and the Northrock is 1000 watts. A 75 LB kid could be a real terror at 50+ MPH on a bike path. We only sell these to adults for off road use only. I have a trike coming for a conversion. This will be great among older folks.

There is a good series of videos on You Tube by Bolton ebikes.. I have a site at rockcutbikes.com.

Makes a fun DIY and you can do it indoors when the weather is cold. The folding 20 inch shown is one of several factory bikes we sell. We live just outside a large state park. The folding bike is a favorite with campers.

I love the conversions because they have more wattage.. Imagine a fellow Carver nut wanting more wattage out of virtually everything.. 😀 

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

ebJRxifz.jpeg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 1
  • Haha 1

Stickers

Very Impressive - those look like a bundle of fun. I’m assuming your battery is on that front tube and guessing the rear hub contains the drive motor. Love the tires but would expect them to require a little extra effort when peddling. What’s the price range on something like that?

Again, best wishes for your continuing success in this new venture. Atta’ Boy Jim. 👍👍👍👍

Stickers

Very cool @Ar9Jim!  Those look like a lot of fun.  I'm not sure of it being the kids on the hopped-up ebike that's the biggest worry - the thought of a rabid pack of old geezers and biddies running wild on high-power e-trikes is definitely scary.**))

Looks like a fun venture, and I'm betting you'll have something tube based, integrated into them.  😎  Hope it proves to be lucrative for you.