Sign in to follow this  
kve777

SOUNDSTREAM C-1 PREAMP ROAD TRIP

I can't take it any more! 

I love my Carver gear. Have for over 10 years since I got my first MXR150  & M-500t at a flea market for $125.00.

But... there is something funny going on with this Soundstream C-1.
 20100602154224883.jpg
It sounds too good. I won't elaborate, as I don't want to taint the experiment.

I have had three, one is in my 2CH system, one is at my buddy Joe's 2CH and the third is in the on-deck rack.

I want preamp connoisseurs to hear what I hear. I have tried MXR135/150's, CT-7, Nak 630, 610, C-5, C-J Premier 17LS II and a bunch of others.

The C-J is the only one to best it.($6000.00 list price)

Who can A-B a good Class A preamp against this mutant? Rumor has it that Krell was in on the development. Great build quality.
 20100602154308406.jpg
Two things- One, the volume control motor is inop, so the R-1 remotes run everything BUT the volume. Two, no phono card. It was sold as an option. My buddy Joe has the only one I have ever seen for sale. So an outboard Pre-Pre is needed for vinyl.

Rules- Must have 100 posts.
           Must pay shipping to the next member. I will pack it such that repacking will be a breeze.
           Must report A-B findings in an unbiased, professional manner. Equipment must be listed, types of listening material, etc.

There will be a reward for anyone who feels like fixing the volume motor.

Let's not lose the remote! I only have four or five left. They are rare!

Who wants to give it a listen?

I have an Acurus LS11 in my main system, I could switch them out and compare in 2 different systems, and if I'm lucky, by the time I get your C-1, assuming I do, my Proton will be back with new caps, so I could compare it to that also.

Guest RodH
Any other Canucks interested in having a listen late summer or early fall?
If we communicate we could have a "Northern Run" for a few of us to try and then send it homeward.

Thanks Kev.

I have an Acurus LS11 in my main system' date=' I could switch them out and compare in 2 different systems, and if I'm lucky, by the time I get your C-1, assuming I do, my Proton will be back with new caps, so I could compare it to that also.
OK, Peck555 gets it first. Looks like a trip through Canada in a couple of months.
peck, PM an address. I'll ship in the AM.

Who's next?

Boy, there are some big LSI chips in there.  Preamps are usually pretty simple devices unless you're doing sound shaping.  I mean there needs to be some tone control, but I've never seen huge ASICs in preamps.  The C-1 is a little complicated with Sonic Holography, but look at the C-2 schematic.  Just about 4 quad op-amps.

Nice looking preamp; thanks for putting her on the roadshow!
Would you happen to have and owner manual for that TX1-11?
Thanks for the kind words, it deserves a listen...put you on the list?
I wish I did! I would have posted it already.
I did come across 30 lbs of manuals in my storage. Any Carver will be posted. I am still struggling with the 880 manual...

Boy' date=' there are some big LSI chips in there.  Preamps are usually pretty simple devices unless you're doing sound shaping.  I mean there needs to be some tone control, but I've never seen huge ASICs in preamps.  The C-1 is a little complicated with Sonic Holography, but look at the C-2 schematic.  Just about 4 quad op-amps.
Yeah! This was designed as a preamp for home automation multiple zone sound. I have the matching SN-1 which is just a big remote/switching/relay device. I imagine a lot of those chips are for device control, etc.

Put you on the list?

Alrighty folks, I got it today(wicked fast shipping) when I got home from the station @7:30.

I hooked it up and listened to it for about an hour in my bedroom system...

Carver TX-10 tuner

Pioneer dvd player

Carver 1.0t

After a short listen, I have to say I like it alot (I'd like it more if the remote volume workedTaz.gif)

The sound is crisp, clear and detailed, I'm hearing more "air" around instruments, and note decay sounds very natural, things that are supposed to ring, do, and those that shouldn't don't.I have to listen much more and then I will have a longer and more detailed impression for you, I'll also be moving it into my main system to try it there.cool0016.gif

I'd also like to say that Kevin did a great packing job, and it will be easy to repack it for sending it on to Steve(if I doemangel.gif).

OK back to listening...

Greg

It was good talking you tonight' date=' Kevin. I'd like to be on the list, also. I've got a couple pre's to compare it to. One being the Carver C-19.....
OK, Good talking to you, too! 

PM SteveFord your address. You are #3 on the list! You will enjoy this little treat!

I'm liking it alot, I'm going to move it into my main system tonight and compare it to my Acurus LS-11 then I'll pack it up and send it on next week.

I was listening to it last night with some CD's that I hadn't listened to for a while (not the best recordings) and the Soundstream passed on every mistake and every bit of harshness in these recordings. It doesn't make them unlistenable, but it certainly doesn't hide anything that's going on in the recording, very acurate and neutral.

I'll have more thoughts thursday.

Greg

I'm liking it alot' date=' I'm going to move it into my main system tonight and compare it to my Acurus LS-11 then I'll pack it up and send it on next week.

I was listening to it last night with some CD's that I hadn't listened to for a while (not the best recordings) and the Soundstream passed on every mistake and every bit of harshness in these recordings. It doesn't make them unlistenable, but it certainly doesn't hide anything that's going on in the recording, very acurate and neutral. 

I'll have more thoughts thursday.

Greg

That's what I like about it. Accuracy. I want to add a tube buffer. It would be cool to add one inside, use one of the TAPE loops internally. I'd add a grill to the cover. I have an SN-1 that is really not good for anything I need, maybe incorporate TX1-11, C-9 and a tube buffer in one unit. Blue LED's and Rack handles are a must. Anybody have a spare faceplate from an M-X.X amp?

That's what I like about it. Accuracy. I want to add a tube buffer. It would be cool to add one inside' date=' use one of the TAPE loops internally. I'd add a grill to the cover. I have an SN-1 that is really not good for anything I need, maybe incorporate TX1-11, C-9 and a tube buffer in one unit. Blue LED's and Rack handles are a must. Anybody have a spare faceplate from an M-X.X amp?

That sounds good, how many can you make?