Quadio

Harryfan

I noticed that Rhino Handmade has started releasing what they call Quadio DVDs, reissues of some of those quadraphonic LP mixes from the 70s. The first Chicago album came out earlier this year. The Best of Aretha Franklin will be out soon.

http://www.rhino.com/article/what-quad

It says DTS DVD, so apparently they’re not high resolution. They’re just lossy DVD-videos...with no video. It seems like these would have been better suited to DVD-A or SACD. The $30 price tag seems awfully steep too, for what you’re getting.

Well, maybe.  If they used the video portion, they could get 96kHz/24 bit resolution (non-lossy, too).

DTS 96/24 allows the delivery of 5.1 channels of 24-bit' date=' 96 kHz audio and high quality video on the DVD-Video format. Prior to the development of DTS 96/24, it was only possible to deliver two channels of 24-bit, 96 kHz audio on DVD Video. DTS 96/24 can also be placed in the video zone on DVD-Audio discs, making these discs playable on all DTS-compatible DVD players. DTS 96/24 is implemented as a core DTS stream plus an extension containing the deltas to enable 96/24 sound reproduction.[/quote'] 

Bill, it says

This DTS DVD features 4 channels of 24-bit, 96 kHz audio (down scalable to 24-bit, 48 kHz).

Does this imply that it's not compressed?  Some of the review comments I read suggest that it is definitely compressed.  Is there any way to know for sure?

Well, it would be nice if they told you the real codec.  DTS  is usually implemented with a core that is 96kHz or 48kHz 16 bit with extensions.  Thus you can always play the DTS core, even if you can't play the codec extensions.  One extension gives you 24 bit.  There is an extension to give you lossless.  But the core will still be lossy.

Okay' date=' thanks Bill.  I'm always curious to give these kinds of things a listen.  But at this price I think I'm going to pass.[/quote']

That's cheap compared to some of those new SHM-SACD's at about $50 a pop.

Okay' date=' thanks Bill.  I'm always curious to give these kinds of things a listen.  But at this price I think I'm going to pass.[/quote']
I think I remember seeing a lot of these things ripped on the private trackers.