kve777

Sony DRN-XM-01 Roadshow. Try XM Satellite Radio in your system.

I have several Sony DRN-XM-01 receivers. I will be glad to share the experience. Must have 200 posts to enter.
Includes one activated receiver in home dock, wall wart power supply, shark fin antenna, RM-XM2 remote, RCA out cable and a copy of the manual, which you can get HERE. I think these sound great. This one I just bought on eBay, it had a noisy fan, I got it for 25 bucks, shipped. Just replaced the fan, so it's quiet now. It has a lifetime subscription to XM. I have 5 like that, now. One in each vehicle, one at work and two spares. I pay for two subscriptions, one for my Polk Audio receiver and one with the best of Sirius, so she can listen to Howard Stern. You will need a south facing window for the antenna. Who's in?

Must pay shipping to the next on the list.
The list so far-
  1. jldeni
  2. peck555

Here's some info from Wikipedia for the geeks-

Technology

XM provides digital programming directly from two high-powered satellites in geostationary orbit above the equator: XM Rhythm at 85° west longitude and XM Blues at 115° west longitude[19] in addition to a network of ground-based repeaters. The combination of two satellites and a ground-based repeater network is designed to provide gap-free coverage anywhere within the contiguous U.S., the southern tip of Alaska, and in the southern part of Canada. The signal can also be received in the Caribbean Islands and most of Mexico (reports have stated that areas north of Acapulco are able to receive a steady signal[20]), however XM is not yet licensed for reception by paid subscribers living in these areas.

The original satellites, XM-1 ("Rock") and XM-2 ("Roll") suffer from a generic design fault on the Boeing 702 series of satellites (fogging of the solar panels), which means that their lifetimes will be shortened to approximately six years instead of the design goal of 15 years.[21][22] To compensate for this flaw, XM-3 ("Rhythm") was launched ahead of its planned schedule on February 28, 2005 and moved into XM-1's previous location of 85° WL. XM-1 was then moved to be co-located with XM-2 at 115° WL, where each satellite operated only one transponder (thus broadcasting half the bandwidth each) to conserve energy and cut the power consumption in half while XM-4 ("Blues") was readied for launch. Subsequently, XM launched ground-spare XM-4 ("Blues") ahead of schedule on October 30, 2006 into the 115° WL location to complete the satellite replacement program.

On December 15, 2006 XM-1 was then powered down and drifted back to its original location at 85° WL, where it will remain as a backup to XM-3. XM-2 as well was powered down and remains as a backup to XM-4. This makes the current active satellites as XM-3 "Rhythm" and XM-4 "Blues" with two in-orbit spares.[7][23]

225px-Xm_radio_headquarters2.jpg
magnify-clip.png

XM Satellite Radio headquarters in Washington, D.C., near the New York Avenue metro station.

On June 7, 2005, Space Systems/Loral announced that it had been awarded a contract for XM-5.[24][25] XM-5 will feature two large unfurlable antennas. Sirius' Radiosat 5, also to be built by Loral, will have a similar single large antenna.

In American and Canadian metropolitan areas, XM and its Canadian Licensee known as Canadian Satellite Radio (CSR), own and operate a network of approximately 900 terrestrial repeater stations, meant to compensate for satellite signal blockage by buildings, tunnels, and bridges. In the United States XM owns and operates approximately 800 repeater sites covering 60 markets; in Canada CSR is installing approximately 80 to 100 repeaters that will be owned and operated by CSR in the 16 largest Canadian cities. The actual number of repeater sites varies as the signal is regularly tested and monitored for optimal performance. The actual number of sites in the United States has dropped from the original 1,000 installed when the service first launched in 2001. The repeaters transmit in the same frequency band as the satellites. A typical city contains 20 or more terrestrial stations. Typically the receiver owner is unaware when a terrestrial station is being used, unless he or she checks antenna information from the receiver being used. Due to a FCC filing in October 2006, the latest list of XM's US terrestrial repeater network was made available to the public.

The XM signal uses 12.5 MHz of the S band: 2332.5 to 2345.0 MHz. XM provides 128 kilobits per second of its bandwidth to OnStar Corporation for use with XM-enabled GM vehicles, regardless of whether their owners are XM subscribers. American Honda also retains the right to some of the company's bandwidth to transmit messages to Acura vehicles via a service known as AcuraLink.

XM NavTraffic, an optional service, transmits coded traffic information directly to vehicle navigation systems using TMC technology.

Audio channels on XM are digitally compressed using the CT-aacPlus (HE-AAC) codec from Coding Technologies for most channels, and the AMBE codec from Digital Voice Systems for some voice channels, including all of the Traffic and Weather channels.

The XM radio signal is broadcast on 6 separate radio carriers within the 12.5 MHz allocation. The entire content of the radio service, including both data and audio content, is represented by only two carriers. The other 4 carriers carry duplicates of the same content to achieve redundancy through signal diversity. The data on each carrier is encoded using time-delayed and error-correction schemes to enhance availability. Effectively the total radio spectrum used for content is a little over 4 MHz.[26]

Each two-carrier group broadcasts 100 8-kilobit-per-second streams in approximately 4 MHz of radio spectrum. These streams are combined using a patented process to form a variable number of channels using a variety of bitrates. Bandwidth is separated into segments of 4-kilobit-per-second virtual "streams" which are combined to form audio and data "channels" of varying bitrates from 4 to 64 kilobits-per-second.[27]

XM preprocesses audio content using Neural Audio processors that are optimized for the aacPlus codec, including spectral band replication (SBR). Audio is stored digitally in Dalet audio library systems using an industry-standard MPEG-1 Layer II at 384 kbit/s, sometimes known as Musicam. The audio is further processed by the Neural Audio processors on the way to broadcast.

Sirius XM Pops a classical music station is broadcast in 5.1 surround sound audio quality. The technology, titled XM HD Surround, is the result of a partnership between XM and Neural Audio Corporation which provides content with six discrete channels of digital audio. XM Live also broadcasts in this format for certain concerts and studio performances. XM manufacturing partners such as Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., and Yamaha have introduced home audio systems capable of playing XM HD Surround.

• Thank You 1

Hey Kev - I hooked up the unit, etc., but it only seems to receive channel 0 and channel 247 - both are xm preview broadcasts. I've never played with a sat radio before, but is there something else I need to do to get the rest of the channels, or doesn't this unit have an active subscription?

Hey Kev - I hooked up the unit, etc., but it only seems to receive channel 0 and channel 247 - both are xm preview broadcasts. I've never played with a sat radio before, but is there something else I need to do to get the rest of the channels, or doesn't this unit have an active subscription?

What the...It was getting all the stations at home...send me back the receiver , I'll check it out. I have more.

On 2/27/2011 at 2:16 PM, kve777 said:
What the...It was getting all the stations at home...send me back the receiver , I'll check it out. I have more.

Will do... 

What the...It was getting all the stations at home...send me back the receiver  I'll check it out.  I have more.

Will do... 

JUST the receiver, I'll send out another. Keep the dock, antenna, remote, etc.

Kevin, Tried several times today to send PM, but no luck. Keeps bouncing back with errors. Could be the network protection here at work.

Anyways, I did already send it back. Best guess is that you'll see it tomorrow. I only sent you the receiver and cradle - still have the antenna and PS.

Jim

Kevin, Tried several times today to send PM, but no luck. Keeps bouncing back with errors. Could be the network protection here at work.

Anyways, I did already send it back. Best guess is that you'll see it tomorrow. I only sent you the receiver and cradle - still have the antenna and PS.

Jim

OK, I'll get it squared away!

Received second unit - works great!
I'm lovin' the variety of programming that's always available. Nice sound quality too.
Good road show for those of us who have never played with a sat radio.
 thanks Kev! 

Received second unit - works great!
I'm lovin' the variety of programming that's always available. Nice sound quality too.
Good road show for those of us who have never played with a sat radio.
 thanks Kev! 

Glad you're enjoying it! It's a digital source, so it sounds better through a tube buffer. Hang on to it for a while, I'm sending Peck555 another one to try. So far, you two are the only ones on the list.

On 3/8/2011 at 7:31 AM, kve777 said:

Glad you're enjoying it! It's a digital source, so it sounds better through a tube buffer. Hang on to it for a while, I'm sending Peck555 another one to try. So far, you two are the only ones on the list.

Thanks again. Yes - through the tube buffer is exactly how I have it fed. Very nice!

I would love to give one a try. PM me and I will send you my info.  Thks

You're in!
The list: jldeni(has one now)
            peck555(one on the way)
            TNRabbit 
            Maddmaster

I think its the bomb! I've been giving it a good workout - tried on two different systems. 

System 1: 
with and without Xiang Sheng tube buffer
CT-7 preamp
M-500t MKII 
Klipsch Cornwall II's

Sustem 2:
C-1
M-0.5t
Bose AM-5's and biamped Behringer Truth studio monitors 

The buffer really smooths out the harshness in the digital signal, but system 1 makes any source sound great. System 2 is typically kind of harsh sounding with this type of source, but I'm working on it. I put in the Behringers to help boost the mids and bottom where the Bose are lacking. Still, I'm spoiled with system 1, which is my main "man cave" listening for vinyl and CD. 

I've tuned in several different sat channels - quality of their output varies somewhat, but I really like the vast selection of material available. My fav's so far are "The Loft" and "Coffee House Rock". Not being accustomed to using a receiver with this capability anywhere but in an occasional rental car, this is a treat. Thanks so much for making it available. Can't wait to try it with Rich's road show tube buffer that is on its way to me.

Well, here goes nothing, the sound is full bandwidth, and rich sounding, but I find the programing to be less than thrilling at times, I guess it depends on the DJ. The reception is great, no dropouts while I've been listening, I've listened to rock, Jazz, Grateful Dead channel,and the classic vinyl station.I've enjoyed having it in my system, but I don't know if I'd buy one, but more because of the programming, and the monthly fee.

Thanks Kev, for the opportunity to play with it for a while.msp_thumbup.gif

I'm playing it through my main system:

XM radio

Grant fidelity tube pre(as Buffer)

Acurus LS-11 pre

Carver M1.0t mkII opt.2

Magnepan 1.5

I hooked the one up that I received last week. I had a difficult time getting a signal from here & ended up taking it out after an hour of listening. It kept dropping out.

I was NOT impressed at all in the sound. Not sure how else to describe it but as grating/irritating. I thought it sounded terribly compressed & lacking clarity in the upper ranges. I couldn't get it unhooked fast enough. Who's next?

I had to put the antenna(shark fin) out the window to get reception, it is sitting on the window sill right now facing south, that might help your reception and the sound quality, also I'm running mine through a tube buffer, which might help any harshness that you are experiencing.

Just my 2 cents

Greg

I hooked the one up that I received last week. I had a difficult time getting a signal from here & ended up taking it out after an hour of listening. It kept dropping out.

I was NOT impressed at all in the sound. Not sure how else to describe it but as grating/irritating. I thought it sounded terribly compressed & lacking clarity in the upper ranges. I couldn't get it unhooked fast enough. Who's next?

Did you put the antenna outside on a south facing wall? Which channels did you try? Some are way better than others. Sounds better through a tube buffer, too.