WillyD

Carver "t" mods (which amps do they null against?)

In the Audio Critic article The Carver M-1.5t. Birth of the 'T' mod ,  I saw where the authors stated that "Bob is also working on a t-mod of the Carver Cube and claims that he will eventually be able to make it null against the M-I.5t and the ML-2.   It may require a new complement of transistors and some changes in topology, however to get to that point." Is this what Bob ended up doing with the M-400t modification?  Are the M-1.5t and the M-400t identical in sound?  TIA  
Bill

The reason I am curious about the M-400t 's sound is that there is a cube in a local thrift store for $215.  I somehow thought the cube was a little larger.  I imagine it must be a little difficult to work on being shoehorned into that space. Thanks,

Bill

To answer you initial question, the M-1.5t nulls a Mark Levinson ML-2, the M-400t nulls a Berning tube amp. The M-1.0t nulls a Conrad Johnson Premiere 2 and the M-4.0t (and its variants, the TFM-4.0t, 42 , 45 and 55) all null Carver's own Silver 7 tube amp. No one seems to remember what tube amps the M-200t and M0.5t null against.

And the M-500t?

The M-500t is in the same boat as the M-200t and M-0.5t as far as I remember, but for some reason it is deemed to be the best sounding of all the t amps.

To answer you initial question' date=' the M-1.5t nulls a Mark Levinson ML-2, the M-400t nulls a Berning tube amp. The M-1.0t nulls a Conrad Johnson Premiere 2 and the M-4.0t (and its variants, the TFM-4.0t, 42 , 45 and 55) all null Carver's own Silver 7 tube amp. No one seems to remember what tube amps the M-200t and M0.5t null against.[/quote']

Not trying to be difficult, but the data base shows the M-500t as being the amp rumoured to be nulled against the Berning tube amp (the M-1.0t nulls a Conrad Johnson Premier 5). So this leaves the M-400t, M-2.0t & the M-0.5t as questions.  I was just curious if anyone knew if Bob carried through and nulled the M-400t against the M-1.5t and thus the ML-2? Thanks again for all the input.

Bill

To answer you initial question' date=' the M-1.5t nulls a Mark Levinson ML-2, the M-400t nulls a Berning tube amp. The M-1.0t nulls a Conrad Johnson Premiere 2 and the M-4.0t (and its variants, the TFM-4.0t, 42 , 45 and 55) all null Carver's own Silver 7 tube amp. No one seems to remember what tube amps the M-200t and M0.5t null against.[/quote']

Not trying to be difficult, but the data base shows the M-500t as being the amp rumoured to be nulled against the Berning tube amp (the M-1.0t nulls a Conrad Johnson Premier 5). So this leaves the M-400t, M-2.0t & the M-0.5t as questions.  I was just curious if anyone knew if Bob carried through and nulled the M-400t against the M-1.5t and thus the ML-2? Thanks again for all the input.

Bill

The database here is far from being as complete or exhaustive as my Carver database and my database references 3 publications stating that the M-400t was voiced to null a Berning integrated tube amp.  I have never seen a published instance of the M-500t being voiced to null any specific tube amp, let alone a Berning and Bob Carver himself stated in a published article I have archived somewhere that the M-500t was not voiced to any specific tube amp but was designed to replicate a sound typical of several tube amps.  As for the M-1.0t, there are conflicting published reports on if it was a Premiere 2 or 5 but you are correct that it was the 5 (brain fart); the 2 was the preamp.
  • Thank You 1

.....my Carver database and my database references 3 publications stating that the M-400t was voiced to null a Berning integrated tube amp.  I have never seen a published instance of the M-500t being voiced to null any specific tube amp' date=' ......[/quote']

I don't know where the original infor came from in our version of the database; perhaps I was dyslexic the day I entered berning for the m-500t; should I change it to M-400t?

Thanks OBI56!  It is clear Bob did not t-mod the 400 to the 1.5.  Now if I just knew what a Berning tube amp sounds like.  Oh well,  I will get the amp if it is still there.  I wanted a 2 chanel system for my workshop to  run some bookshelf Polks I have and the 400t would do nicely.  Thanks,

Bill