Anybody use a ZEROSTAT?

kve777

Anybody use one? Any good? Sounds promising. I know they've been around since the '70's. Zerostat-3-Blue.jpg

MILTY ZEROSTAT 3 ANTI-STATIC GUN

Effective at neutralizing static charges on virtually any surface without the need for sprays, the Zerostat 3 by Milty helps keep LP phonograph records, vinyl, CDs, DVDs, film, negatives, lenses, glass, and plasticware static-free, dust-free and lint-free. It is the latest development and incarnation of the renowned Zerostat piezo-electric pistol that has been proven worldwide in neutralizing static electricity found in a variety of items in the laboratory, office, and home.

Each Zerostat 3 comes with complete instructions including a test procedure to confirm that the unit is working properly.

This proven little device known as the Zerostat 3 Antistatic Gun is an antistatic "generator" which has numerous applications in any microscopy laboratory. Just squeeze the "trigger" of the Zerostat 3 and a steady stream of ions is released. The "magic" comes from two powerful piezoelectric crystals and a patented compression trigger.

In the laboratory, the Zerostat 3 keeps film, glass, plasticware, and lenses dust and lint free. It also prevents charged particles from flying during weighting or transfer of particles. And the Zerostat gun finds wide use among those who possess and maintain phonograph record collections.

Each Zerostat 3 unit has a "two cycle" type of operation, when the trigger is squeezed, positive ions are generated and when the trigger is released, negative ions flow. This means that it is possible to induce a charge on a neutral surface using the Zerostat 3. If the trigger is squeezed, and the Zerostat 3 is then removed from the surface (and before allowing the trigger to return to its original position), a positive charge will be induced. Similarly, pointing the Zerostat at the surface only for the release of the trigger will induce a negative charge.

How to use?

Hold the Zerostat 3 within 12" (30.5 cm) of the surface or object to be treated. Squeeze the trigger slowly for about two seconds, to emit a stream of positive ionized air over the surface of the object. As the trigger is slowly released, a negative flow of air ions is produced resulting in static neutralization. Repeat this procedure at several points across the surface of the object.

How much charge is given off?

Each squeeze of the trigger results in a discharge, when stated in units of charge, is 1.5 Coulumbs.

How long will it last?

One can reasonably expect on the order of 10,000 such "squeeze cycles" during the lifetime of a Zerostat 3 unit, although the typical Zerostat 3 will last much longer, sometimes as long as up to 50,000 trigger squeezes. The Zerostat 3 needs no batteries or electrical supply nor does it contain any radioactive components.

Where can it be used?

The Zerostat gun, in theory, will work in any atmosphere but great caution must be exercised before using it with or in flammable or combustible gases.

Spare parts:

The Zerostat 3 is designed to be a disposable (throw-away) product. It is not built to be taken apart and there are not replacement parts.

Safety issues:

The Zerostat is "safe" but we would still advise keeping it out of the reach of children who could easily see it as a toy. One should never press the "muzzle" against their skin and squeeze the trigger, it could cause quite a sting. We also advise never to carry this product as carry-on luggage on a plane flight. It could be mistaken for a lethal object! You could be held up to the point of missing your flight while explaining to security personnnel just what is a Zerostat. This cautionary note is directed to many service engineers who carry a Zerostat 3 as part of their tool kit.

What does it weigh?

The net weight of the Zerostat gun is 135g (0.30 lbs). The typical packaging used for the shipment of a single Zerostat results in a shipping weight of 200g (0.44 lbs). The unit is highly portable and easy to control and handle.

Color?

The Zerostat 3 originally came in Red. The new Zerostat 3 comes in Blue.

Dimensions: 4.5" x 6.5"

Weight: 4.9 ounces

Guest RodH
I used to have one. It seemed to work well, actually.

There are stories of folks ruining the input stages of their preamps by 'zapping' on the table too close to the cartridge - but I don't know if that's true or urban legend BS.

I was never willing to do the experiment.

Many years ago, I often used a very similar (but red-colored) Zerostat all the time on LPs and it worked very well.  It was part of the pre-flight check along with record cleaning before enjoying my LPs.

I used to have a battery powered one (I think audio technica, haven't been able to find one since). The bitch of it was the handle on my LP brush was aluminum, and the bristles were carbon, so I got quite a nasty shock as I held it to the vinyl.

I also had one of those secondary arms that was ling carbon bristles (intended to remove static before it hit the stylus).

After being 'charged up' so much by the static gun, the bristles would splay out, as the now positively charged vinyl reached for a drain to ground.

It hurt, but it was worth it.

• 1 month later...
Yes I too had a red one a long time ago I think most of the cleaning stuff was made by discwasher, no clue where it is now. and it did work pretty well along with the wooden handled cleaning brush and a small wooden stylus cleaning brush.

I still have my 1200MK2s and I even know where they are.