Back 2 Carver

Thanks 2 all. The ALS are 800 miles away at my daughters place in Tampa. I flew down last week to make the purchase and the buyer delivered them to her place. I will drive back down later next month to pick them up. From previous active amplification of the Apogee Scintilla. I have found a amp the can drive .3 ohm ribbons without shutdown. This will more than likely be a long project as I plan to run them in full active mode.

Yikes! Those Scintillas were harder on amps than the Ohm Walsh F's!

What kind of amp are you referring to?

I will be using a pair of Digmoda DDC-1050 on the ALS. I had much success with the three channel DDC-552 Tri-amping the Scintilla. They are Icepower amps with full on board DSP that allow almost unlimited tweaking of all speaker parameters. Icepower amps have a love/hate reputation among audiophiles, not unlike Bose/Carver. I just happen to like them.  

Thanks 2 all. The ALS are 800 miles away at my daughters place in Tampa. I flew down last week to make the purchase and the buyer delivered them to her place. I will drive back down later next month to pick them up. From previous active amplification of the Apogee Scintilla. I have found a amp the can drive .3 ohm ribbons without shutdown. This will more than likely be a long project as I plan to run them in full active mode.

If you plan to actively bi-amp the originals, you have to be mindful of the passive crossover's built-in notch filters (to ameliorate the cavity resonance of the planar transducers).  BillD and Reese went down that road with Platinums:

• Thank You 1

If you plan to actively bi-amp the originals, you have to be mindful of the passive crossover's built-in notch filters (to ameliorate the cavity resonance of the planar transducers).  BillD and Reese went down that road with Platinums:

Yes, and this site is a treasure trove of information. I am grateful to those that have shared all of there experiences.  This is one of the great things about the on board DSP on the amps. Great flexibility with slopes filters Q and on and on. All settings can be saved as file to compare and tweak.

......This is one of the great things about the on board DSP on the amps. Great flexibility with slopes filters Q and on and on. All settings can be saved as file to compare and tweak.

Very handy; good luck with the mod 

• Thank You 1

Guest xfritzx
nice...all mine is old school carver except my sunfire true sub MK II , and the only thing I have hooked up thats not by bob carver is my speakers. which are cerwin vega re 38's and even though they are ok speakers with 15" woofers I'm afraid to push them too far with my PM-1.5 amp

Welcome to the forum Carlton. And welcome back to the Carver family............

OCCD only goes into remission it's never cured......emwink.gif

Looks like I am going through the early stages of OCCD. Flying out today to pick up a CT-7/M-4.0t combo. They will be part of my bedroom system. Considering a pair of Cinema Ribbons and a True Sub as stable mates.