PDR

PDRs stuff

Same as here Z.

The structural studs can have the same "C" section, or can have the Delta stud look.

Its all in the engineering.
A 20ga C section stud can withstand windloads but dont take compression loads well.
You have to get into 18ga, 16ga, 14ga studs to build multi level buildings with C section studs.

Largest I've built was a 6 story Hilton hotel......no red iron, just steel stud from the second floor up. 

Because of the way the Delta stud is punched and stretched it makes a much stronger stud.
This gives it the ability to take higher compression loads with lighter gauges than conventional
C section studs. So stronger with lighter material......win, win. It also takes side forces so well
that a whole line of joists have been developed starting at 8" and up to 12".
A 12" Delta stud can span 30' on a floor system........no more teleposts in single level housing.

Up here most steel stud building incorporate a outsulation system, a wrap of insulated material
on top of the wall instead of inside. No thermal breaks or transfer.....handy when you live in 40
below like us Eskimos. 

We've built around 100 houses across Canada in the last 20 yrs......no real call for it.
People cant wrap their head around light gauge steel framing. We did a few Indian reserves.
They seem to like them.....emwink.gif 

Most of my extended family lives in steel homes.
I have no yearning.....I see enough of it at work. 

• Thank You 1

The metal studs here in the states (where I have lived), like that which Z posted, is generally not used for anything load-bearing.  Most stick-built homes around here use wood, so that all internal walls can be load-bearing and complement the structural and shear characteristics that weather and environment here imposes (wind, storms, humidity, arid, - pests, and such.)

In commercial use, metal is easy, quick, and fits between structural levels built with concrete and steel.  It's easy and cheaper for an building owner to re-arrange when a tenant rotates in and out of a space than wood.  and, since walls in commercial space are constantly changing, there's less impact on the environment (less wood waste, and steel is recyclable).  Stick-built homes generally have a longer life than commercial space between remodels.

And, for commercial and industrial space, the metal stud, with drywall surfaces, adds a higher level of fire prevention characteristics. 

I'd personally love to see the metal studs like those in Perry's table in my house.  Especially for areas where there are forces of nature that make stick-frame building problematic (lakeside, humid, bugs, wood pests, etc.  Maybe someday... 

This is one perspective, anyway.   Big Grin
  • Thank You 1

Perry,

Your gear looks amazing.  I posted in this thread four years ago and had no clue what I was looking at.  I've learned a lot since then and can now truly appreciate your gear. OB, line array and bass augmentation.  That's great stuff and right up my ally....now.

Really nice work!

So......I owe Dennis Miller a really big thank you.
In the last months he fixed my A-760x, and just today
I received a BillD C-11.....in absolutely beautiful condition.

THANKS DENNIS!

This is a secondary vintage system I've slowly been working on.
I might even have it completed by this winter...emwink.gif

It Consists of the 760, the C-11, a heavily modded Jolida JD-9,
and a Technics SP-15. I need to get a tuner and CDP yet.

I set the C-11 up this afternoon with the 760, my Raysonic CDP
and a Technics SL-1300. I played a CD.....one that I won from
Dennis on karma a few years ago. Jose Alvarez, Diggin In.
This is one of my fav CDs and has excellent quality. This started a 3hr
session spinning CDs and vinyl. The 1300 was plugged directly into
the MM of the C-11.
Quiet, is the first thing that hit me with the C-11, its really quiet......I was  
surprised my wife even noticed this as well. I didnt use the Jolida today
but thats next. 
I'll need to pair some different speakers with this system as well....I
have a few ideas. 

I'm really happy with this set up and I think I'll keep the tube amp
up on the shelf a bit longer........sweet.

Some pics...

20150731151321728.jpg 

I'm using the Selah line arrays with the SuperVs  providing sub duties...
20150731151536874.jpg 

The SP-15 with LT arm waiting for me to finish.......this winter I'm hoping.
20150731151759125.jpg 

Thanks for lookin..... 
  • Thank You 5

Lazy.....havn't updated in years......lazy.

Im almost done my basement HT system.

Need to refinish the second sub (it will go in the right hand corner)

and the rear arrays......i have Wharfedale Mach 9s for rears right now....meh.

The center channel also needs to be refinished and I want to build a grill cover for it.

The ribbons on the arrays and center are fabulous, crystal clear and the height of the arrays

add a "Theatre" effect thats very, very cool. Can hardly wait to add the rear arrays...

The gear is Onkyo AVR and the rest is DVD, satellite, etc, nothing to note.

The TT is a Rega P3 on a slate "L" plinthe, (I need to buy a motor for it)

with a RB-300 arm with an AT 440MLa cart.

Crappy cell phone pics for your enjoyment.....😁

I'll post more when completed.

20181028_130452.jpg

20181028_130501.jpg

20181028_130520.jpg

Bought a new amp a while back.....

I'm a fan of the Musical Paradise stuff. http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=common/home

Local designer/engineer here in Edmonton, getting

international recognition now. Good for him, a real nice guy.

I own his Mp-401, first heard Baloks in my room, had one shortly after.

Both the 401 and 428 are point to point wired.

This is MP-428, a 300b/2A3 amp. http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=53

20181028_130816.jpg

20181028_130756.jpg

MP-428_01-1024x683.jpg

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

16 minutes ago, dennismiller55 said:

Very nice Perry.  Furniture is also important.  Did you make the equipment table/shelf?  I am a big fan of that look.  I have 2 slabs of pine with live edges drying in the garage overhead.  They are cut at 2.5 inches think, about 20 inches wide , and 16 feet long.  

I noticed that too, and it looks great!

Very nice Perry. I'm remaking/redoing/changing around my living room and like what you did there. Thanks for posting it!

ray 

Thanks guys.

Dennis, I did make the gear stand......I like the living edge.

I seem to DIY the hell out of everything.....☠️

Need to get some wall hangings  etc up now.....

As always, great looking gear Perry.  I would love to hear that MP 428.  300B  😎  I checked on Garry's website.  Did you get it for $0.00 USD as shown on the website?  😉

I would like to compare my recapped C-16 with your dennismiller C-11.

1 hour ago, Balok said:

As always, great looking gear Perry.  I would love to hear that MP 428.  300B  😎  I checked on Garry's website.  Did you get it for $0.00 USD as shown on the website?  😉

I would like to compare my recapped C-16 with your dennismiller C-11.

Lee, good to hear from you.

Believe it or not I stopped off at Audio 5.1 to buy some binding posts, sitting on the main gear stand was the 428.

Brought it home......after some haggeling.... for $500 CAD.....thats $380 US for you 'mericans.

2x 7.5w, need to get my servo subs refinished to play it with my 95db Pap trio

I'm considering selling my Carver A760x and the C-11......so prob wont be here long.

Actually I'm considering selling the 300b, really everything except the Raysonic, the MP 401 and the HT system

Why?......

Need to free up some extra cash to purchase a set of speakers that i never could afford, and that until just

now couldnt be DIY........I'm very excited. These are O.B on a whole different level.....

Super 7

Perry I’m interested in your thoughts on the Raysonic CD player. I’m looking to add the odd component that not only compliments my system sonic synergy but is also on par with my other gear in industrial design(eye candy). I was knocked off my feet when I first saw BrianTs Raysonic at CarverFest 2011/12. I’ve wanted to get one provided the sound compliments the EAR/Fosgate/Spatial/Yggdrasil cool I’ve got going on now. Ping me off list please.

ray

Ray.......not sure I know what "Ping me off list please" means.......lol......I'm not cool with the jargon since '95 or so.....☹️☹️

Brian bought his Raysonic after seeing mine on the other forum, his is a step up, its a 168, mines a 128.

Raysonic the company is no more, so there isnt gonna be any support.

I dont believe I've personally heard a better player.

2 tubes for RCAs out and the other 2 are for XLR......a lot of people dont know that, so thought I'd mention it.

I havnt seen one offered for years, kinda says it all right there....

Have to pry mine from my cold dead hands.....

Your gear (love your spatials) is damn high end, a Raysonic would fit right in, in my opinion.

EDIT:  found one $850 CAD.....bout $650 US

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649463184-raysonic-vacuum-tube-cd-player/

hero_open.jpg

Edited by PDR
add url