DIY Record Cabinets

dokblues

Well I decided I need a new way to store my records so that I can see the covers instead of the spines cool0016.gif. Having to use glasses to see is a PIA. Anyway I used Baltic Birch plywood and Purpleheart as the accent on the edges you would see the laminations of the plywood. Almost done and I have a second coat of poly on them and am using 600 grit with one more hand rubbed coat at 1000 grit. here are a couple of pic`s in different stages:

20120813220456725.jpg

20120813221250928.jpg

20120813221320229.jpg

Nice project.  I like the contrast in the two woods used.   I hope you show us pictures when placed into service fully loaded with your LP's.

Wood working has been a hobby of mine since I took shop in High School.

I like wood working projects. It is still fun for me, and I like to see others talent.  Thanks for sharing.

I would assume that yours is based on the AudioKarma plans.  Those were designed to be able to make the thing from just a single 4X8 sheet of ply or your choice.  Those plans found here....

For a friend, I built one out of the Lowe's birch ply.  I just let the edges show but finished a lot like yours.  I did cheat and use a little extra for a base to cover wheels.  It seemed to turn out ok.

20120816141610444.jpg

20120816141821992.jpg

Pretty good record rack for a guy that has the room.  And reasonable in price!

Mark

Supposedly they will hold 600 LP`s each. I am building two so a purge is coming. emwink.gif

You're not going to go vinylrexic on us are you?yikes.gif

I like those cabinets - now if I could make them stackable with some CD-layers....hmmm!

A really nice looking project. I still like the spine out set up for now, although my eyes are going too so I may change my mind about that in the near future (when my drugstore magnifiers stop working).cool0016.gif

I have an idea to repurpose the big square hole in my Oak wall unit that used to hold a 32" tube TV. I want to build a shelf to have two rows of LP's (one above the other) with thin vertical separators every 6 or 8 inches to avoid extreme lean . I relocated the wall unit when I went with the BIG, flat screen LCD. Now the wall unit is shelving my Carver gear and a couple of turntables (one with MM, one with MC carts) so this will work to keep it all together with the LP library.

I noticed your doesn't have wheels. Are you planning on adding those or will this be a permanent placement?

Starting in the late 70's I built lots of simple, stackable plywood boxes for record and CD storage.

The CD boxes (there are 10 on top in the photo) are 13" wide x 11 1/2" tall and hold about 60 discs each.

The record boxes (there are 6 on the bottom) are 25 1/2" wide x 14 1/2" tall and hold about 200 LPs each.

20120816161811101.jpg 

A few years (and 2,000 discs) later I replaced the CD boxes with these upright racks based on a Tree Dimensions design.

I also moved the LP boxes into an adjoining room (there are 10 now) and only keep a few 100 of my favorite LPs "on call".

20120816164152523.jpg20120816164300285.jpg20120816164332756.jpg 

In the late 80's I inherited a huge collection of classic post-war jazz albums from my boss and mentor Ollie "OJ" Berger.

They are stored in the same room as the rest of my LP collection, in a plywood rack that Ollie and I built in the late 60's.20120816165819680.jpg 

TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH!