Professional methods for record care and use

RichP714

I buy a bit of vinyl that usually needs a cleaning and start by using a MK1 vacuum wand that connects to my vacuum cleaner.  This seems to remove most of the gunk. If the record needs more work I use my DIY fluid (80 percent distilled water/20 percent isopropyl alcohol/1 drop of Dawn) with a microfiber cloth. On stubborn records i use the solution with a Pangea Audio Record Doctor Clean Sweep Record Brush. It is a very fine brush that dislodges anything left. If that doesnt work, you either have a shitty pressing or the record was abused. Something that I have noticed is that after a couple plays, even a relatively noisy record seems quieter. Cant explain it. 

• Thank You 2

It's pretty easy to go deep with this stuff, but I can't/don't want to help it. I enjoy the crap out of messing with stuff just to hear, or not, a difference or improvement. 

Gotta get me one of those Tesla coils and tame some harsh CD's with it some day.

• Haha 2

On 6/15/2021 at 6:15 PM, Receiver2000 said:

I buy a bit of vinyl that usually needs a cleaning and start by using a MK1 vacuum wand that connects to my vacuum cleaner.  This seems to remove most of the gunk. If the record needs more work I use my DIY fluid (80 percent distilled water/20 percent isopropyl alcohol/1 drop of Dawn) with a microfiber cloth. On stubborn records i use the solution with a Pangea Audio Record Doctor Clean Sweep Record Brush. It is a very fine brush that dislodges anything left. If that doesnt work, you either have a shitty pressing or the record was abused. Something that I have noticed is that after a couple plays, even a relatively noisy record seems quieter. Cant explain it. 

If you even skim through this paper, you will find great information for record care. Good to vacuum them, that is true, but also to clean them from the chemicals that were used during pressing, and the build up of debris.

I am too stupid to compress the paper to the right size for this forum to accept it, so you will have to go to 'The Vinyl Press' to get it. It is worth every minute of the time you spend even browsing through the paper, I promise. The photos alone are not what you might expect to see. Vinyl playback uses a microscopic medium, forever understated as to the minimum care needed.

Edited by 4krow
more info
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well, as you know, there is not a better time to send vinyl through the mail system than the month of July. Records come to your door completely sanitized, maybe even Simonized and ready to hang on the wall. Yup, likely that's what they will be good for folks. Today I heard the freshly cleaned records spun onto my doorstep, screaming as they spun to a stop. "Ah, the MM has arrived."  Some were wet with tears and making a frowny face as I took them from their slipcovers. Good 'ole BS&T, side two was first to be spun. By now they are used to it, Right? I have always loved this recording and performance. This time I can say without hesitation, this record sounded no worse than before it was cleaned. It wasn't until the last third of the album that I got excited. Real reason is, the equipment had warmed up enough to do it's magic. Tried a hundred times, putting an album on and playing it, but there comes a certain point that it loses it's flatness. Interesting thing that happens now is that I am hearing a bit better, the details I once knew were there to begin with. As my ears age much of that detail has been lost, or so I thought. This mission into vinyl will likely be the last of my good and realistic stereo experience, and I am doing a lot more in the way of gear and albums to hear the best that I can until I can't.

Is this cleaning to the ultimate worth the price? Dunno. I have only heard one side of one album.

Stay tuned music lovers. Same Libera chi time, same Libera chi station.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3