Benificiary of Many Classic Blues CD's

dennismiller55

I have a dear friend in his late 80's who has been slowly turning over his CD collection to me.  Mostly classic blues, some contemporary blues.  Yesterday I received about 25 more Cd's.  Some of these are hard to find.  I am fortunate to know him and I am throughly enjoying the music.

Have any of you inherited or been lucky enough to add to you library from a friend or family members library?

20130108063355313.jpg

Most of my classic jazz LP collection was bequeathed to me by my audio mentor O.J. Berger.
It included almost 800 titles from Riverside, Prestige, EmArcy, Fantasy, Blue Note and Verve.
I met Ollie in 1968 when we were both involved in a high school production of West Side Story.
(I had a minor role and was Technical Director. He provided sound reinforcement and recorded the performances.) 
After the show we built the rack that now contains his collection and we continued to work together until he died in 1988.

20120816165819680.jpg 

Nice Dennis and Dom, those are treasures.

My father inlaw must have 800 cds and 1 thousand albums.....
I`d wait to inherit them but hes only 7 years older than me and in better shape.....
He`ll prob get my stuff..... d'oh!
He loves his tunes and his gear.....his place reminds me of kev pics of gear.
Many, many pieces well kept and stored with original boxes, manuals, etc...
He just bought himself an Oracle Delphi....he loves it 
My wife grew up around gear all over the house and music always playing...
She thinks what I do is normal..... Big Grin

That's really nice of him.
Many, many years ago I sold my stereo and all of my albums to one of my buddies, Mark Haggerty.
He went to sea as an officer in the merchant marines and asked me to take care of the albums as he was afraid his younger brother would destroy them.
I still have the Sea Hag's albums and the last I heard he married a woman in Japan.

I am a giver of music. Not a receiver... OK, because I have what I like. I've given away lots of vinyl and CD's. I wouldn't live long enough to listen to Dom's collection!happy0009.gif

I see an Albert Collins CD - that Master of the Telecaster.
I always think of this when I see Albert Collins tunes:
Albert lived behind this one guy who had a motorhome which needed work so it was just parked.
Albert had the same model which also needed work and he used to bug the shit out of the neighbor about stripping parts off of it so Albert could fix his.
The neighbor came to dread seeing Mr. Collins...

I am a giver of music. Not a receiver... OK, because I have what I like. I've given away lots of vinyl and CD's. I wouldn't live long enough to listen to Dom's collection!happy0009.gif
I'm pretty sure that I've listened to everything in my collection AT LEAST ONCE.
I'm gonna try to make that TWICE before I pass on and bequeath everything to my son. 
Then my youngest brother has first dibbs on anything my son doesn't want.

• 1 month later...
My friend sent a few more.  The box was waiting for me when I return home from my Texas visit.  I've been playing them for the last two days.  Phones

20130214132351578.jpg

Nice care package Dennis, enjoy the new to you tunes.............

• 2 weeks later...
Great stuff!
I was able to pull a couple on line via MOG for a taste.

I received most of my grandmothers records after I moved to WI. Not a large collection. Includes a very complete Neil Diamond collection, Harry Nillsson's Son of Schmillsson album Think, and a double record of my High School Chorus concerts from 1975. 

Very nice collection!

I usually share my music with family and they share music with me.  I inherited not only my brothers music when he passed, but all his electronics too.  Which piece by piece was upgraded to Carver.  His old set up had something called an Omni-sonic Imager which was similar to sonic holography, but it stopped working.  Think  But that is what got the whole interest started for me.

Not a complaint, but when my children come to visit from Tennessee, they end up with a few of my cd's.  I am very glad they like my music.  Party!  Now they each have a small Carver setup too.