Anybody have an HDCD to lend/sell/karma?

kve777

I just acquired a Denon DCM-390 CD player ($19.99 at Goodwill, with the remote!) and it is supposed to play HDCD's. I don't have one and thought maybe somebody here could give, sell or lend me one to see if it works and to compare to my Sony SACD's. Pink Floyd DSOTM would be first choice, NIN Downward Spiral would be second, as I have both of those in regular stereo and SACD already. It's really clean and I will probably be flipping it if anyone really wants it, PM me.
20130710155731529.jpg 

Kevin,

I think a few of my CDs are HDCD - I will go through and send you a few to try out - just pm me your address.

Btw, If you're comparing HDCD to SACD, you are in for a disappointment.... HDCD is NOTHING like SACD, IMHO....

Mark

Kevin,

I think a few of my CDs are HDCD - I will go through and send you a few to try out - just pm me your address.

Btw, If you're comparing HDCD to SACD, you are in for a disappointment.... HDCD is NOTHING like SACD, IMHO....

Mark
I was under that impression, too, but I'd like to hear for myself! emwink.gif

Thanks for bringing up this post.  I don't have an answer for your question but only pose a different question.  Will SACD disks play on dcd players?  Like denon dcd 1520 or 1560?  Thanks for any input.

Thanks for bringing up this post.  I don't have an answer for your question but only pose a different question.  Will SACD disks play on dcd players?  Like denon dcd 1520 or 1560?  Thanks for any input.
I'm very certain you need to see 'SACD' on the front and have the six RCA's on the back to get SACD playback. Many SACD's have stereo encoding so they will play, but not in surround as intended.

Thanks for bringing up this post. I don't have an answer for your question but only pose a different question. Will SACD disks play on dcd players? Like denon dcd 1520 or 1560? Thanks for any input.
I'm very certain you need to see 'SACD' on the front and have the six RCA's on the back to get SACD playback. Many SACD's have stereo encoding so they will play, but not in surround as intended.

My true love of SACD lies in the hi-res stereo tracks, 99% of he time. I can count on one hand the number of surround SACDs that I prefer over the 2 channel mix (Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Toto IV, The Who Tommy, Steely Dan Gaucho)

Most SACDs are "hybrid" - meaning they also contain a normal CD version of the album on the disk, which any cd or DVD player will play. But then you're defeating the purpose of buying the SACD, unless you plan to buy a player in the future. So Kevin is correct - to get either te surround OR hi-resolution stereo mixes, your player needs to say "SACD" and have the 6 or 8 channel analog outs.

My true love of SACD lies in the hi-res stereo tracks, 99% of he time. I can count on one hand the number of surround SACDs that I prefer over the 2 channel mix (Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Toto IV, The Who Tommy, Steely Dan Gaucho) Most SACDs are "hybrid" - meaning they also contain a normal CD version of the album on the disk, which any cd or DVD player will play. But then you're defeating the purpose of buying the SACD, unless you plan to buy a player in the future. So Kevin is correct - to get either te surround OR hi-resolution stereo mixes, your player needs to say "SACD" and have the 6 or 8 channel analog outs.

I understand now thanks,  I have also seen the with 5.1 channel is that also acceptable?

Thanks for bringing up this post. I don't have an answer for your question but only pose a different question. Will SACD disks play on dcd players? Like denon dcd 1520 or 1560? Thanks for any input.

My true love of SACD lies in the hi-res stereo tracks, 99% of he time. I can count on one hand the number of surround SACDs that I prefer over the 2 channel mix (Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Toto IV, The Who Tommy, Steely Dan Gaucho) Most SACDs are "hybrid" - meaning they also contain a normal CD version of the album on the disk, which any cd or DVD player will play. But then you're defeating the purpose of buying the SACD, unless you plan to buy a player in the future. So Kevin is correct - to get either te surround OR hi-resolution stereo mixes, your player needs to say "SACD" and have the 6 or 8 channel analog outs.

I understand now thanks, I have also seen the with 5.1 channel is that also acceptable?

I think what you are asking, is that if a DVD player has on-board DD & DTS decoding, via a six channel analog output, will it automatically decode SACD (and/or DVD Audio)...? The answer is unfortunately no. Both SACD and DVD Audio require different decoding algorithms within the payer (DSD for SACD, and MLP for DVD Audio) to extract those signals fom the disc.

Most mid to high end players from Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Oppo, and Yamaha offer SACD and DVD Audio compatability. Sony, however, only supports SACD (as they developed SACD, DVD Audio is their competition).

Both formats are dying, unfortunately... It is only a matter of time. To make matters worse, the emerging "DD True HD", and "DTS Master Audio" formats on Blu Ray are primarily being used for only live concert videos, and to showcase (mostly awful and overdone) 5.1 channel mixes. This leaves us with no TRUE high resolution (192/24) stereo sources:-(

Maybe I will be getting into vinyl...:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin,

Mark
Got 'em! Tried it out. Nice player. Looks and works like new! Decodes the HDCD no problem. No skipping. PM me if you are interested in it. I'm knee deep in CD changers, mostly Sony. Mark, How much for the Mannheim Steamroller CD? I'll send the others back.

Kevin, I think a few of my CDs are HDCD - I will go through and send you a few to try out - just pm me your address. Btw, If you're comparing HDCD to SACD, you are in for a disappointment.... HDCD is NOTHING like SACD, IMHO.... Mark
Got 'em! Tried it out. Nice player. Looks and works like new! Decodes the HDCD no problem. No skipping. PM me if you are interested in it. I'm knee deep in CD changers, mostly Sony. Mark, How much for the Mannheim Steamroller CD? I'll send the others back.

Kevin,

Color yourself an instant Karma winner!  I have another copy, so please keep that one, and enjoy!

Mark

Kevin,

Color yourself an instant Karma winner!  I have another copy, so please keep that one, and enjoy!

Mark
COOL! Thanks! I do like Chip's stuff once in a while.

BTW- HDCD has nothing on SACD for sure! 

I have a question while on this subject. I have several SACD's. When you refer to HDCD are you refering to DVD-Audio disc or something totally different. The reason I ask is I do have several DVD- Audio disc that are mostly DTS encoded.

I have a question while on this subject. I have several SACD's. When you refer to HDCD are you refering to DVD-Audio disc or something totally different. The reason I ask is I do have several DVD- Audio disc that are mostly DTS encoded.

That's a good question - there is a lot of "mystery" surrounding all the high definition music formats.  The short answer to your question is no.  IMHO, DVD Audio is the pinnacle of high resolution audio, followed closely by SACD.  HDCD was developed in the late 90's, and used a few different sampling rates and algorithms to eek out a bit of a performance edge over standard CDs.  However, HDCD more or less died in the mid 2000s, as DA converters got so good that the HDCD decoding no longer held an edge over standard CDs.  DVD Audio discs typically contain both a multi channel track, and a high resolution stereo track (usually 96k - 24 bit).  As an added bonus, DVD Audio discs have interactive on-screen menus, and usually a limited slide show, where SACD has no video information.  The "DTS DVDs" are an off-shoot of DVD Audio, and the ones that I have are, for the most part, very well done.

That's a good question - there is a lot of "mystery" surrounding all the high definition music formats.  The short answer to your question is no.  IMHO, DVD Audio is the pinnacle of high resolution audio, followed closely by SACD.  HDCD was developed in the late 90's, and used a few different sampling rates and algorithms to eek out a bit of a performance edge over standard CDs.  However, HDCD more or less died in the mid 2000s, as DA converters got so good that the HDCD decoding no longer held an edge over standard CDs.  DVD Audio discs typically contain both a multi channel track, and a high resolution stereo track (usually 96k - 24 bit).  As an added bonus, DVD Audio discs have interactive on-screen menus, and usually a limited slide show, where SACD has no video information.  The "DTS DVDs" are an off-shoot of DVD Audio, and the ones that I have are, for the most part, very well done.

Thanks. That is the one format I never tried and missed that one totally. I find the DTS Audio disc are great. However, they run the Bass on the "HOT" side. It is deep and full sounding, while the SACD only shines in that area if you are pretty much running full size speakers all the way around the room.

Thanks. That is the one format I never tried and missed that one totally. I find the DTS Audio disc are great. However, they run the Bass on the "HOT" side. It is deep and full sounding, while the SACD only shines in that area if you are pretty much running full size speakers all the way around the room.
That is so true, matching speakers and amps for all 5 or 7 channels is a must with SACD's.

I have a question while on this subject. I have several SACD's. When you refer to HDCD are you refering to DVD-Audio disc or something totally different. The reason I ask is I do have several DVD- Audio disc that are mostly DTS encoded.

That's a good question - there is a lot of "mystery" surrounding all the high definition music formats. The short answer to your question is no. IMHO, DVD Audio is the pinnacle of high resolution audio, followed closely by SACD. HDCD was developed in the late 90's, and used a few different sampling rates and algorithms to eek out a bit of a performance edge over standard CDs. However, HDCD more or less died in the mid 2000s, as DA converters got so good that the HDCD decoding no longer held an edge over standard CDs. DVD Audio discs typically contain both a multi channel track, and a high resolution stereo track (usually 96k - 24 bit). As an added bonus, DVD Audio discs have interactive on-screen menus, and usually a limited slide show, where SACD has no video information. The "DTS DVDs" are an off-shoot of DVD Audio, and the ones that I have are, for the most part, very well done.
Thanks. That is the one format I never tried and missed that one totally. I find the DTS Audio disc are great. However, they run the Bass on the "HOT" side. It is deep and full sounding, while the SACD only shines in that area if you are pretty much running full size speakers all the way around the room.
That is so true, matching speakers and amps for all 5 or 7 channels is a must with SACD's.
For perfectly mixed (IMHO) bass on an SACD, try Dire Straights Brothers In Arms, Patricia Barber Cafe Blue, or Henry Mancinni Ultimate Mancinni. I agree though, bass seems to almost always be perfect on DVD Audio discs.