RichP714

Favorite Pictures

1315732899.jpg

They picked the right amps - 2,400 watts continuous into ONE ohm...!

image_zpsa20302da.jpg

Ummm.  Holy Smoke.  
I wondered about power.  And what those funny looking coffee tables were.

• Thank You 1

1315732899.jpg

They picked the right amps - 2,400 watts continuous into ONE ohm...!

image_zpsa20302da.jpg

Ummm. Holy Smoke.
I wondered about power. And what those funny looking coffee tables were.

Yea, each one weighs 435 lbs. The manufacturer recommends a dedicated 230v, 35amp circuit for each one - that's the only way to get max rated power at one ohm. The best they'll do on a 120v, 20amp circuit is 600w at 4 ohms....

• Thank You 1

tourne-disque-plus-cher-monde.jpg

AV Design Haus Dereneville VPM 2010-1

Here is the big daddy.  The most expensive turntable I’ve found to date… which is enough in itself to make it unique.
Since you’re probably dying to know, the magic number is 650.  As in $650,000.
So what does all that coin buy you?  According to AV Design Haus (translated from German):
  • Heavy, solid Corian chassis (60 kg), standing on air suspension feet.
  • Toe angle measurement by laser, Tangential linear unit with a stepper motor.
  • Belt drive with two frequency-controlled motors Tern EBM-Pabst.
  • Speed ​​measurement using a pulse ring with 24,000 pulses per revolution.
  • Plate mass: 20.5 kg ball bearings, worn by Neodyn magnetic disks.
  • Effective shielding due to large mu-metal layers in the dish.
  • Scanner-camera to the empty groove recognition, track selection via touch screen.
  • Gimballed special tone-arm, length and height.
  • Integrated digital scale at the parking position of the pick.
  • Balanced XLR audio output. Video output S-Video / BNC
  • 2 built-in microprocessor controls, touch screen remote control.
  • Ethernet connection for easy software updates and remote diagnostics.
  • All parameters, such as system operating hours, speeds and much more,are always available on the touchscreen.
  • Integrated high-resolution Miniature camera to observe the sampling system during playback.
Pretty cool, if overpriced, stuff.  But hey, if you’re looking for a turntable with a built-in microscope, this Dereneville certainly fits the bill!

• Thank You 1

Woah! Where have I seen this before? happy0009.gif

physical-graffiti-panorama1.jpg

From the Wiki article about the Physical Graffiti album: The two five-story buildings photographed for the album cover are located at 96 and 98 St. Mark's Place in New York City.

I've walked past these buildings, never really noticed them. Cool.
Steve

• Thank You 2

Schurkey's Past Projects

dbx_118_ss_12.jpg

A "broken" dbx 118 dynamic range expander/compressor. I replaced EVERY capacitor in the box, including the ones on the three small "daughter boards". While the electrolytic caps were certainly past their prime (this box dates from mid-'70's) and the tantalum caps are known for failure, this box didn't work due to the failure of the five-transistor array on the top left of the RMS detector daughter-board.

dbx_118_ss_02.jpg

(Before repair) The five-transistor array is the 14-pin DIP "chip" at the top left. I also replaced the 8-pin dual op-amp; and now both are socketed.  The capacitor just above the connector body is a factory kludge, repositioned on later versions of this circuit board.  (It's mislabeled as a "diode" in the text on the photo.  Oooops.)

This box must be fairly early production, I also have a higher-serial-number 118, and all three daughter boards, and the main circuit board are revised with some different components installed.

Apparently I was too dumb to take "after" photos.
  • Thank You 2

Schurkey's Past Projects

Bose_901V_Equalizer_01.jpg

A tired Bose 901V equalizer.  The 901's are my "Garage speakers".  They are just fabulous in that application--it's not critical listening, but it's good tunes in the garage and driveway.

Bose_901V_Equalizer_04.JPG

Twelve electrolytic caps replaced. Good thing there's lots of room in the housing.

Bose_901V_Equalizer_05.JPG

• Thank You 2

Schurkey's Current Project

Aragon Stage One home theater preamp/processor. About thirteen years out-of-date, but still a wonderful-sounding rig...if it worked properly.

I have no access to the setup menu, so I can't program speaker distances, input gain, etc. In addition, I can control volume with the remote, but not with the front-panel knob.

Aragon_StageOne_Circuit_03.jpg

I'm impressed with the size of the transformer, considering this is a preamp, not a power amp.

Aragon_StageOne_Circuit_04.jpg

Thought they had discovered the problem. I mailed-in the three most likely suspects:  The two very large, programmed chips that boot (lower) and run (upper) the Stage One, along with the very small, square circuit board that is the volume-knob "encoder" on the upper left, connected with the smaller ribbon cable.  Indy Audio Labs (owner of Aragon and Acurus brand names) found that the programming in the upper "big" chip was corrupted. The lower large chip and the volume knob "encoder" were tested and found to be good. However, replacing that corrupted chip did not restore function. IAL is sending a replacement front panel circuit board. I wait with fingers crossed. IAL has been wonderful to deal with, by the way.

Aragon_StageOne_Circuit_05.jpg

• Thank You 1

Angelo:

Those ALS clones look AMAZING!  Especially the little bookshelf models. 
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for sharing your projects with us Schurkey. Hope you get the Aragon figured out.

Well, I'm cheating on this one.  I'd prefer to stumble around blindly, replacing components on the circuit board.  I like fixing things by re-flowing bad solder joints, stuffing in new caps and chips and resistors.  Truth is, I'm so far out of my league on this one that I'm willing to just shove in a complete replacement circuit board.  If that doesn't take care of it, I get to pack up the whole thing and mail it to Indy Audio Labs.

This was an eBay bargain (really, an outright bargain, and sold to me as "The volume knob doesn't work") so I can invest some cash in this and still come out "OK".
  • Thank You 1