Gene C

Favorite Pictures

In 1981, I came out of a mine in Kelly, NM at 3AM to a moon-less night sky full of stars. AMAZING! No light pollution at all. Shadows by starlight. So many stars...humbling.

Edited by kve777
  • That Rocks 3

5 hours ago, jvandyke_texas said:

I have a 17.5" reflector.  I've had my telescope near Sedona.

Been looking at Jupiter lately.  Saw the white pearls outside the bands.

Nice; mine is a CAT (meade LX-90 8") and wouldn't travel well.  There's a local dark site here (fontanelle forest) that is very very nice

Stickers

2 hours ago, jvandyke_texas said:

A friend just got a Celestron 8" CAT.  This one has sharp optics.  Many I have looked through not great.

You a Televue guy or ES?

The field of view is (evidently) much flatter with the newer design's, but I can't afford to chase that train, given the difficulties I now have with handling something that size it's not worth investing in any longer (unless I had a younger healthier helper)

When I first got my scope, I damaged the diagonal, and replaced it with a televue; I was so impressed that when it came time to expand my eyepieces, I stayed with Televue.  I've heard good things about ES, but have no personal experience

You?

Stickers

I have mostly TV, but lately I like Baader Morpheus.  I have an ES 30 82 degree, and an ES 20 100 for wide field low power.  I use a Baader MPCC with them.  Now everybody is making 20mm 100s.  APM is quite good and low cost.  Most optics from China.  Even Meade.  They've got their coatings down.  But of course German optics such as Baader and APM are outstanding.

I went through a planetary eyepiece phase, but now I'm done with that.

TV delites are outstanding for planets.  If you want to just use plossls, Dakin barlows from Brandon are the sharpest.

Edited by jvandyke_texas
  • Thank You 1

Stickers

On 9/16/2019 at 3:50 PM, RichP714 said:

capture.pnggreat composition or photoshop?

Seems like an impossible composition to me.

IF we're looking into the sunset, (or sunrise) can the moon be fully-illuminated on the side that's facing us?

The moon seems enormous.  Yeah, it always looks larger when it's near the horizon, but that's just not believable.

I say photo trickery of some sort.

• Thank You 2

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download  the highest resolution version available.

NICER at Night
Image Credit: NASA, NICER

Explanation: A payload on board the International Space Station, the Neutron star Interior Composition Explorer (NICER) twists and turns to track cosmic sources of X-rays as the station orbits planet Earth every 93 minutes. During orbit nighttime, its X-ray detectors remain on. So as NICER slews from target to target bright arcs and loops are traced across this all-sky map made from 22 months of NICER data. The arcs tend to converge on prominent bright spots, pulsars in the X-ray sky that NICER regularly targets and monitors. The pulsars are spinning neutron stars that emit clock-like pulses of X-rays. Their timing is so precise it can be used for navigation, determining spacecraft speed and position. This NICER X-ray, all-sky, map is composed in coordinates with the celestial equator horizontally across the center.

Stickers

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download the highest resolution version available.

Eye Sky a Dragon
Image Credit & Copyright: Anton Komlev

Explanation: What do you see when you look into this sky? In the center, in the dark, do you see a night sky filled with stars? Do you see a sunset to the left? Clouds all around? Do you see the central band of our Milky Way Galaxy running down the middle? Do you see the ruins of an abandoned outpost on a hill? (The outpost is on Askold Island, Russia.) Do you see a photographer with a headlamp contemplating surreal surroundings? (The image is a panorama of 38 images taken last month and compiled into a Little Planet projection.) Do you see a rugged path lined with steps? Or do you see the eye of a dragon?

• Love this! 1

Stickers

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download the highest resolution version available.

Sand Dunes Thawing on Mars
Image Credit & LicenseESARoscosmosCaSSIS

Explanation: What are these strange shapes on Mars? Defrosting sand dunes. As Spring dawned on the Northern Hemisphere of Mars, dunes of sand near the pole, as pictured here in late May by ESA's ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter, began to thaw. The carbon dioxide and water ice actually sublime in the thin atmosphere directly to gas. Thinner regions of ice typically defrost first revealing sand whose darkness soaks in sunlight and accelerates the thaw. The process might even involve sandy jets exploding through the thinning ice. By Summer, spots will expand to encompass the entire dunes. The Martian North Pole is ringed by many similar fields of barchan sand dunes, whose strange, smooth arcs are shaped by persistent Martian winds.

Stickers