Gene C

Favorite Pictures

1.jpg

Electronluv 6-way Scorpion hornspeakers with 40-foot long bass horns (they pass thru the wall and into walk-in sheds in the backyard) driven by 75TL valve amps and Supratek custom amps. Here's another shot:
2.jpg 

Good Lord Almighty.
What on earth is this thing?  Is there a link somewhere on the build?
There are a few more pics and a brief description of some of his speakers HERE.

• Thank You 1

20140220120116962.jpg

'69 Charger Daytona.  Beautiful.
I recall reading that the vents on top of the front fenders weren't there for cooling or aerodynamics, but to allow clearance for the tops of the tires at the track. cool0016.gif  

20140221132825636.jpeg
Boulder Model 3060 Stereo Power Amplifier:
There are efforts that contradict conventions and redefine the idea of striving for perfection. With innovative technologies, intelligent construction and an unmistakable design. With enough experience, these efforts are not unusual but become second nature. The 3060 Class A Stereo Power Amplifier is one of these efforts.

Boulder is not a startup and is not a virtual company. We have a real history. For us it is never enough to simply fill a market niche, to create a product solely for the purpose of giving someone something expensive to buy. Every single Boulder must define its category and push the limits of what is possible in audio engineering. Regardless of price. Our latest endeavor is the 3060. Built to our standards, which means that it is built like nothing else on earth.

The 3060 is heavy. 440 lbs/200 kg. Yes, the casework is cut from massive pieces of 6061-T6 aluminum. Yes, it has five transformers. It has 120 output devices. It has 48 output filter capacitors. It has all of the things you would expect from Boulder’s largest stereo amplifier and it has more. More parts, more control, more finesse, more of everything. Specifications and numbers are often used to impress and baffle (and possibly intimidate) a potential customer. We would prefer to tell you what we do rather than how much we do it.

The 3060 is dramatic to view. It has a presence all its own. There are no corners that meet in a 90-degree angle. The heatsink slots are huge. The Colorado granite-and-stainless steel base grounds it. Yet the front panel has only a single, elongated button to terminate the front panel angles, lending the amp a stately elegance. For those who have been lucky enough to view the 3060 next to its larger brethren, the 3050 Mono Amps, it is a combination of the separates and yet it is still its own design.

The 3060 is peace of mind. Every supply is monitored and protected. Every variable is accounted for. All pieces of the amplifier, every piece of metal, every circuit is created and assembled in-house by our own craftsmen and technicians. Boulder is the last audio manufacturer in North America to hold this degree of control over our own designs, but it’s worth it.

The 3060 is an immensely powerful amplifier. This means it will control every movement of your loudspeakers so as to reproduce exactly what was encoded in the recording. From the largest explosive crescendo to the tiniest, wispy detail. And everything in between. If it was captured on the microphone it will come out of your loudspeakers the exact same way, unaltered and unchanged. But power alone is not the goal. No other stereo amplifier will provide you with the same emotional experience, the same immersion, the same thrill.

Because no other amplifier is a 3060. Now you can experience it where it can put its strengths to good use: the heart of the finest audio systems in the world.

• Thank You 1

20140220120116962.jpg

I recall reading that the vents on top of the front fenders weren't there for cooling or aerodynamics, but to allow clearance for the tops of the tires at the track. cool0016.gif  

Correct.  The nose stuck the front end down so hard, there needed to be more clearance.  It had the added benfit of also venting pressure to help the nose drop.  Imagine going 200+ mph (as fast as today in a heavier car) on that old rubber.
This car was so dominant, it marked the beginning of the end for Chrysler in NASCAR.  In '72, Nascar capped engine sizes at 355 ci and outlawed the Hemi head design.  Not only that,  if you used the Daytona/Superbird 'wing car' body, you were limited to 305 ci. 
Chrysler told them to fuck off, and wasn't seen as a corporate presence again unitl 2001.
  • Thank You 1

VoEWJ.jpg

I think you're right. Look at the size of the guy on the rope ladder compared to the helicopter in the water. Totally wrong. Even accounting for perspective, you'll notice the helicopter has to be the same distance in the foreground as the man. 

Plus, the splashes under the rear windows are the same color throughout. Obviously done with the "airbrush" tool, and I can see that on my *phone*. Amateurs. 

VoEWJ.jpg

I think you're right. Look at the size of the guy on the rope ladder compared to the helicopter in the water. Totally wrong. Even accounting for perspective, you'll notice the helicopter has to be the same distance in the foreground as the man. 

Plus, the splashes under the rear windows are the same color throughout. Obviously done with the "airbrush" tool, and I can see that on my *phone*. Amateurs. 

happy0009.gif You forgot the bridge support beam in the background too... tongue0015.gif

sunsun.jpg
German speaker company TIDAL and Constellation Audio of the USA teamed up to produce an absolutely stellar sound at this year's HIGHEND show in Munich (2011). Shown here are the new TIDAL T1 loudspeakers (double-stacked) flanking a pair of TIDAL's flagship Sunray loudspeakers, both from designer Jörn Janczak.  

20140220120116962.jpg

Correct.  The nose stuck the front end down so hard, there needed to be more clearance.  It had the added benfit of also venting pressure to help the nose drop.  Imagine going 200+ mph (as fast as today in a heavier car) on that old rubber.
This car was so dominant, it marked the beginning of the end for Chrysler in NASCAR.  In '72, Nascar capped engine sizes at 355 ci and outlawed the Hemi head design.  Not only that,  if you used the Daytona/Superbird 'wing car' body, you were limited to 305 ci. 
Chrysler told them to phuk off, and wasn't seen as a corporate presence again unitl 2001.

Didja know that the two "Winged Warriors" (The Charger Daytona, and the Plymouth Superbird) used different sheetmetal, including distinct rear wings and distinct front "aero" nosecones?

I had a chance to buy a Wing car (440 Magnum, not the Hemi or Six-Pack) for $4000.  This would have been around 1980.  I was going to trade school, and $4000 for that car was as unrealistic then as the price they go for now, is to me now.  However much my income has increased...the price of toy cars has increased AT LEAST as fast; and usually faster.

A friend of mine for several years sold his 1970 SuperBird last year for $85,000.00. He had joined the USAF in 1972 & it had sat in his father's barn since then. It had 3,800 miles on it & mice had eaten the back seat out of it. It was the ONLY black one (special ordered from the dealer) & was one of 19 that had the 426 hemi/4 speed manual transmission option. I tried for years to get him to refurb it & am sure it has the potential to be a $500,000+ car. They guy who bought it got a STEAL.

BTW, my friend paid $3,800 for it brand new in 1970~

20140220120116962.jpg

Chrysler told them to phuk off, and wasn't seen as a corporate presence again unitl 2001.

Didja know that the two "Winged Warriors" (The Charger Daytona, and the Plymouth Superbird) used different sheetmetal, including distinct rear wings and distinct front "aero" nosecones?

I had a chance to buy a Wing car (440 Magnum, not the Hemi or Six-Pack) for $4000.  This would have been around 1980.  I was going to trade school, and $4000 for that car was as unrealistic then as the price they go for now, is to me now.  However much my income has increased...the price of toy cars has increased AT LEAST as fast; and usually faster.

TNRabbit....... I found a 440 6-pack (A-12 code) 69 1/2 Road Runner when I was 15 in '85.  My dad wouldnt let me touch that car....I had the money from washing cars in the bank...
Shurkey.....!!!  In the late '80s, ruffling through the dealership archives I found the salesmanager's desk log of a '69 Hemi Charger Daytona sold to an Art 'Somebody'.  In April of 1970.  For $3490.  They couldn't give those cars away. 
I met the second owner of that car at a car show in Michigan, sold new from my father's Dodge dealership.  I last talked to him at a car show about 2000.   It had 42k on the odometer.  It still had the original recalled magnesium wheels on it.   The trans tech at our dealership (retired about 2003) rebuilt the 727 auto in '72 on an RO he still had a copy of.  The only reason it had a Hemi and was not a caged race body, was it was an automatic.  Of the 504 made, every Hemi stick went to NASCAR teams. 
The differences from the Charger to the Road Runner were mainly sheetmetal, although Plymounth demanded the centerhood 'style line' be brought down into the nose cone, because Petty was moving to Ford unless Plymouth would produce something as fast as the Charger Daytona.

I want a Wing Car.  I will own one someday.  Even if I have to replicate one.

1256079855.jpg
I love how the B&W 802s (about $8,000) are just shoved in the back corner... Must be nice to have more gear than you can listen too...:-)
I want to see if Dom can read Korean. happy0009.gif
I can't but Google Translator can face20.gif

Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush system 

LOL! Good one Dom!

Looks like I may have an opportunity to listen to some like these this coming weekend...... lucky me.
I've always wondered, ever since I first saw a pic. 

20140224192939918.jpg 

Looks like I may have an opportunity to listen to some like these this coming weekend...... lucky me.
I've always wondered, ever since I first saw a pic. 

20140224192939918.jpg 

You *are* lucky! Nauty, nauty speakers!emwink.gif